1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Chuck Hayes close to signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Chuckwagon* of exp
    Lol repped. CF, or any team's fans, love to put their best SL players on pedestals. Stash them in NBDL and revisit the topic in a couple months.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Chuck Hayes has the biggest calves in the NBA.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You would take Hayes over Jones?

The TJones hate madness has to stop on this website. I can see someone trying to make the argument for Boozer over Jones, although I would strongly disagree, but Hayes? Really?

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Don't know why people are so desperate to get rid of T-Jones. Ty Lawson excelled with a mobile, athletic forward in Faried. Half the highlights I've seen were him dishing in the paint for easy dunks and lay ups. I can see Jones playing well with him.

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Jones is a constantly improving 24 year old that dominates weaker opponents but folds under pressure against the star PFs of the league (under sized and under skilled in PF skills)

If Jones comes off the bench with Monti guarding guys like Griffin and LMA then we will reap benefits from Jones eating up the lesser bench talent...just can't let him get torched over and over against the big dawgs.

Boozer is seriously washed up plus hes kind of an asshat. Avoid at all costs

Would welcome Hayes home with open arms but Jones is still the better fit in our running system. Jones just fits so well with our guys. He was a critical piece for us in the regular season. Not only that but he's so young and can improve so much in a short amount of time barring injuries taking their toll.

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Chuck is too old to play basketball...

7. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

The player that fits the system will always be more important. Carlos Boozer needs a half court squad. Hayes is just insurance and can make post scorers work for everything they get. Jones is that semi-stretch forward that runs well, passes well, and can safely handle the ball at an NBA level. Josh Smith was also that guy which was why it hurt to lose him because he also provided tough defense but Jones fits this team more than most PFs in the league.

8. basketballholic

I'll take Chuck Hayes in a small ball lineup defending Draymond Green any day of the week over Terrence.

9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Obsessed

10. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Only reason they bring him is defensive matchups, because based upon some stats he actually holds his ground with bigs in defensive matchups, plus he bring down rebounds in limited amount of time. Look at his pers. I guess he would be good for 3rd string, and when players are in foul trouble.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I completely agree. I'll never forgive Boozer for that time he impregnated that minor and kicked Robert Horry in the balls.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Jones was pretty solid during reg. season last year. His rebounding numbers fell away drastically after the knee to the ribs. I wonder if there is a mental block there?
    For the record, he only played once against Blake Griffin, and was 16 and 12, while Griffin was 11 and 11 (regular season). I wouldn't say Jones got 'torched' by the big dawg...
    He had 17 and 12 against Aldridge
    21 and 9 on the Memphis front line
    18 and 8 on Milsapp

Didn't start that many games (24 on the season), but the ones where he started against the 'big dawgs' weren't horrible?

Fell off the face of the planet after that knee though (and stunk in the playoffs).
    There is some cause for optimism about the guy - although it ought to be fairly tempered!
    For me, he could go 15 and 8 all season long, and only allow 45% FG again, but I still wouldn't trust him until he did it in the playoffs....

13. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Yeah. I tried to say "regular season" as much as possible since that's when I think he folds mainly. Those injuries hindered him a lot but the guy is still young and improving. I'm more than happy he is on our team

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hayes would be eaten alive against Green, and Jones was actually a decent defender in the WCF's.

Thinking Hayes is better then Jones is a joke, the dude didn't even play last season.

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

Dorsey>Hayes. I can't believe it either!:eek:

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Would definitely take Chuck Hayes as a 13th-15th guy.

Could be a big situational player for us. If LMA or Cousins or someone like that is just eating us alive, why not throw Chuck on him for a bit?

Oh, and LOL at Hayes/Boozer > Jones, I mean c'mon lol.

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Jones>boozer>hayes>mmtola26>bbholic

18. Audioout

Audioout Member

People seem to forget that when Chuck Hayes started at center for us last time he was here our offense actually got better simply due to his passing from the high post.

Even if he only does just that, which takes no athleticism at all, then he'll be infinitely better than Dorsey was for us.

And before you say he'll never play any minutes for us this next season, best case scenario, I would agree, but you know how these things usually go for us.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I was as big a Chuck Hayes fan as any when he was on the Rockets but the fact that Rockets are interested in him now tells you how big of a hole we have at the PF spot.

#keepinitreal

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I feel like Hayes is mostly insurance for injury... specifically for Howard and our center position.

Howard has knee issues, Dmo is coming off of back surgery, Capela may have just been a flash in the pan during the playoffs(I doubt it but it's a possibility), and then there's other general injuries that may happen during the season. I don't think being interested in Hayes speaks for the talent at our PF position at all, in fact I think he'd mostly be here in case Howard goes down for half the season again, we a 3 deep at every position except center and that's not safe with Howard's problems.