1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin McHale on open court NBATV right now.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Freik, Jul 20, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

you should probably listen again because rick doesn't say that. he just points out green would probably say the same thing Mchale would say as far as being able to guard him.

The whole point being if you're an obviously skilled big man like some of the greats, a smaller man doesn't win that battle which is what he was referring to in his days

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

can you read? who started each one of the games. know what you're talking about before posting lol

3. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Good post, I agree. I was also very happy that there was no Shaq, Kenny, or Charles. My roomates little brother was at the house and watched about half with me, he only watches basketball at my house and he was quite entertained.

Yeah I caught it, McHale didnt protest, looked like he agreed. I wish more of our players had the confidence Mchale had/has. It would help if they had the rest of his skillset too.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

What genius suggested to bench Dwight to matchup better? Warriora are able to get away with playing Draymond small because he's a very very very good rebounder. Jones and Smith were not good rebounders. We would've been slaughtered

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Watched part of the segment on NBA TV... quite boring--in fact, very boring--compared to the retired players group.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently Rocketman7, who dreamed Bogut got benched against Houston and didn't start and play all 5 games against us.

7. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

The retired players group annoys me, they are just all sitting in a circle stroking themselves.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

This is hilarious. Who did bogut get benched for to start at the 5. Was it James Michael McAdoo

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What do you expect. These are current coaches who have to watch everything they say & maintain professionalism.

The Inside the NBA group I'm pretty sure is half drunk when on camera, and if they aren't they sound like it. There is literally nothing they could say that would sound dumber than crap they have already said. I guess that's entertaining to some.

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Siggh: Can't we consolidate all the McFail haters into their own forum?

OMG, Kevin told a joke and looked relaxed and sort of puzzled when the rest were telling how nervous and anxious they get.

Maybe if Carlisle was not so anxious he could have gotten along better with Rondo and then he could have won some more playoff games?

I still remember when one of the more self important allegedly great coaches said of Rudy T: more or less: "well he is not great at X's and O's but his guys really play hard for him." The self important guy I believe never won any titles.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

McHale was the most eloquent/intelligent/engaged coach in the discussion. I need to watch the segments again but I was surprised by how boring and just plain stupid some of those coaches were including Carlisle, Karl, and obviously Blatt.

Carlisle's comment about Cuban's excellent social skills and comments about needing an MVP candidate to win (good luck finding one)...
    Blatt's incessant spewing of platitudes and justifications for being a pushover...

#91 bobloblaw, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I guess they all work with each other now, so can't be bad mouthing each other.
    That's the thing. They even said most of the stuff that happens in coaching isn't proper for TV. I would like to hear those stories. And I agree with the professionalism, they have to keep it PC and can't really badmouth anyone.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, how good would Kevin McHale be as a player if he was alive today?

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Rip Kevin?

16. malakas

malakas Member

I loved all the segments.
    Respect from Blatt to Obradovic the best coach in Europe. :)
    The stories about how to find a passer, closing out games and players who aren't scared at the end.
    Kidd the "most resourceful" player to get a win and Chris Paul.

And the most interesting by far was the conversations about the evolution of the big mans game.
    The problem is that most big players that enter the league have NO post skills. And it's extremely hard to develop a post game while in the league and at a later age. Extremely hard. Lack of fundamentals is destroying the quality of the game unfortunately.

17. malakas

malakas Member

If anyone is interested about this a good read is the evolution of the post game from Grantland.
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/w...he-nba-post-up-game-to-bring-you-its-rebirth/

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd agree with a few of the coaches. I think this year's draft was full of post players that are ready to go. Pair that with guys in the league like Tim Duncan, Anthony Davis, DMo, LeBron (if he goes back to it)... I think the skill is there to have a very quick rise of the big man. It's all on how the league decides it wants to officiate the post. Right now it's okay to pillage the post without much consequence.

Side note: Harrell has a nice turnaround jumper if you didn't get to see the full summer league games. He turns around and uses his length to get his shot off from 14-17 feet with a lot of consistency.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the league office has gradually pushed players out of the paint with the retraction of illegal defense rules, introduction of the five-second backdown (barkley) rule, and officiating seemingly biased against physical post play. so it's no wonder less and less players are working on post moves now.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Well who in this years draft has advanced post skills besides okafor?
    In my opinion noone else.
    Duncan and Lebron are of an older generation and will retire in 5 years (most probably because you can never know lol ).

It's not only the league officiating. It's that the highschool coaches and college coaches and AAU are copying what is in "vogue" right now and don't teach good fundamentals in my opinion.
    Also don't underestimate the ability to pass. Big Al or Kanter i.e are two of the most dominant post scorers atm. But both of them can be rendered ineffective and severely hurt their teams because they can't pass and are pure black holes. (let's overlook their horrific defence).
    Passing is another fundamental skill.

But I believe in cycles. Maybe the big men will go back in the post, and perhaps there will be another hybrid of big men who can go and guard in the perimeter.
    One thing I believe though. If we have SKILLED big men with all around skillsets there will be no more Draymond Greens and the small ball won't be so dominant strategy.
    However I can't see many of them in the league atm and I can't see many entering in the coming years.

Also besides this, lets' not overlook post game by wing players and guards. That is another thing that is being severely overlooked in favour of only shooting.
    I sure hope Harden can add it more to his game.