1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale on open court NBATV right now.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Freik, Jul 20, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

this. looks like a lot of the people who watched failed to get that point. which is a great point

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And it continues... The same old trolls that were negative about McHale from day 1 of being hired continue to find ANYTHING they can to continue to be negative about him, and push narrative about this stupid X's and O's skill level that apparently McHale doesn't have.

-YOU didn't want McHale as a coach (even though he's won at a high level & is the first coach since Rudy T to make it to the conference finals).
    -YOU wanted Terrence Jones traded ASAP even before knowing if Smith was coming back, if D-Mo is healthy, or if the Rox could sign a Brandon Bass type for the minimum.
    -YOU didn't think Papanikolaou "deserved" a big contract last Summer(even though that contract is what helped the Rox land Lawson).
    -YOU wanted to trade Harden for Kevin Love because he had a bad playoff series and a few embarrassing YouTube compilations.

The Rockets keep proving to everyone around here that YOU (the negative peanut gallery) do NOT know what the hell YOU are talking about.

YOU might not like McHale as a person, that's your opinion, but that doesn't mean the guy can't coach, and the Rockets can't win with him. This Open Court was enjoyable to watch. Glad to see it was more than just a glorified Inside the NBA Charles Barkley/Shaq random opinion segment.

7 people like this.
  3. OpenLayup-Why3?

Whenever Blatt talked I felt awkward for him. I have this feeling he doesn't belong, but other than Carlisle and maybe Gentry, they all aren't great coaches today. Blatt is better than 3 of them at least, just didn't have a chance to show what he got in Cleveland.

4. hakeemthagreat

The problem wasn't McHale, it was we have nobody on our team that could properly throw a post pass. When GS goes small they cause total mayhem. They used Green to front Dwight then quickly doubled him on the catch. Once Howard gets the rock he's forced to make a quick decision, which he can't do. Hopefully we fix that this year

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

1- Conference finals run is not because of McHale, it's because of the roster and some big luck.
    2- Wanting Jones to be traded is related to the fact we won't be able to keep DMO and Jones both. It's a fact. Non of them will sign knowing he's a backup. And they will cost a lot too.
    3- Irrelevant. I saw Pap play in Europe, he didn't look worthy of that contract. We didn't land Lawson because of Papanikolaou.
    4- Where did you read this?

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

McHale is fine.

At this point, its not a different of opinions, its just certain people need to be put on ignore because they are idiots.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I felt the same way. Why did they invite the rookie coach?

I loved McHale's take on Green. Green really is a subpar post defender. He's just been blessed by playing in an era with few good post players. Not that Green is not excellent for today's game, but yester-year's players had post games that worked. There's no way that Green stays with a 20 and 9 McHale in a 7 game series. (McHale's per 36 are where I'm getting that because he spent so much time as a 6th man even though he's a hall of famer. Per 36 gives you a better idea of who he is statistically. )

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't take anyone seriously that suggests we should have benched Dwight Howard, our only serious rebounder, in the playoffs when were getting killed on the glass whenever Dwight was out of the game.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Uh... was benching Harden in game 6 luck? Taking your MVP out and saying, "we're going to ride the bench crew to victory" is coaching. He's a good coach. Last year proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt. The only reason you are taking the position you are is because you made up your mind years ago and you plan on being right. Get over yourself. McHale can coach.

Hell, he went 34-32 with this roster that was riddled with injuries:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2012.html

That's coaching players up.

2 people like this.
  11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

It's the same issue that killed us with Yao. When he got fronted, no one could make a proper entry pass. On the off chance the ball got there, he was quickly double teamed and was forced to make a decision.

This.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

typical:rolleyes: how some people always believe they get all the blame for failures and shortcomings but never any amount of success achieved

13. dobro1229

-We absolutely landed Lawson partly because of THE PAPANIKOLAOU CONTRACT, not just the player. Had the Rockets used the MLE on a player that YOU GUYS wanted like Marion, they wouldn't have been able to negotiate a second year non-guaranteed contract. No veteran player like that wants to put themselves in a position to get traded multiple times on their way out of the league. They overpaid a player that would take that contract, and the benefits led to them NOT having to give up a player like Ariza to make salaries match. So yes.. the Papankilaou signing is very much related to getting Lawson.

-"where did I read this" - last Summer there were more than a few championing that Harden should get traded for Love. He took a ton of heat from a large section of the fanbase around here following that playoff series. Some will admit to it, some wont obviously.

-We have no idea what will happen next July with the two PF's. The fact is however, the Rockets NEED depth THIS YEAR now with Josh Smith leaving, and D-Mo is coming back from BACK SURGERY. Had the Rockets "TRADED JONES ASAP" like 90% of the GARM wanted, they'd be stuck in a very precarious position with relying on Montrezl Harrell to potentially be the regular season starter if D-Mo, who is coming off back surgery, wasn't healthy to start the season. It was very important that the GARM didn't get their wish to trade him for whatever they could. Love him or hate him, we need his depth as a safety net THIS SEASON.

Let next Summer worry about itself. Morey was more than willing to shell out FOUR second round picks for a potential rental of Brewer & Prigioni & this year they look to be more poised for a one-year run than last year. The Rockets would have gotten what.... maybe a quality 2nd round pick for Jones this Summer, and would be in a risky position of having to give up much more than that later on in the year to pick up a player who might not even be as good as Jones as a rental even.

-As for McHale -

Nobody takes the decision to stay with McHale more serious than Morey and co. There are very important reasons why he's the guy that they trust to infuse with their stars to coach them. He's obviously the guy Harden, Howard, and Lawson WANT and TRUST (which matters), and what he believes in from a basketball philosophy standpoint with this group of players falls in line with what the front office wants.

Is McHale's success a product of the quality players he has.... who cares? Either way, the front office has determined that the FIT right now matters, and the risk of changing coaches from Harden, Howard, etc. far out weights whatever regular season win they might get from some nifty out of bounds play a Brad Stevens might draw up that McHale might simplify into a standard pick and pop, or a simple back screen.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO, that's cool.

15. dobro1229

I'll add to the fact that YOU GUYS (most) wanted the Rockets last year to fire McHale and hire George Karl.

Within the first 6 months of the George Karl hire, he already has run ins with the best player on the team, and tries to get him traded behind the teams back.

Not saying that Karl would have wanted to trade Howard, but it goes without saying that the relationship AND THE TRUST that McHale has with Harden & Howard specifically matters.

There is substantial risk in changing coaches for the small chance that they can draw up a better out of bounds play, or they have a more flashy system. The fact is its about putting your stars in the best position to win, and the relationship with the coach has as much to do with that as any complex Princeton set.

And again this proves that what YOU GUYS want should NEVER be taken seriously by the front office. They need to make decisions based on their knowledge of the situation. Not the fans who only know big names, and NBA2k ratings.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

those 2nd round picks used on pablo are the same as the contract given to papa. they enabled the rockets to get ty lawson for nick johnson and moving 10 picks or less down in the draft.

it's very interesting how getting pablo worked out all things considered. because if the rockets would have got I. Thomas from the suns as many including i would have preferred over pablo then we would have had to give up more to get him initially and he most likely would not have been enough to get past the warriors. you will never know for sure though.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Blatt doesn't know everything all of the time. You are thinking in general.Yes he knows a great deal in general but he wont be right every time. For instance I've played college ball and I've coached ball and been around great coaches since I was six. I'm also educated as a lot of people on Clutchfans are. You underestimate fans as all beer guzzling stupid fat guys who sit their fat asses on the couch and yell at the TV thinking they might do better. Their some great analyzers on this board and fans will surprise with just how much knowledge they have for the game. Now while a lot of fans may be fat and uneducated the same is not true for all fans. There have been cases a lot in fact where fans have been right and some where they have been wrong. Head Coaches aren't always right and the minute they start thinking they are is the minute you have a bad coach.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

BOOGIE COUSINS has run ins without a lot of people.

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Did the people who are saying McHale is an idiot in the video even watch them? I actually enjoyed everything he had to say.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I do agree with this. Mchale would've destroyed Draymond Green but would it have mattered with Klay Thompson and Seth Curry on your team, probably not.