1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ISIS first successful terrorist attack in US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GlenDice, Jul 16, 2015.

1. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It's a mix bag of things, generally when these guys put a rationale together it always ends up being strongly correlated with political motives as well. They might spew a few lines of religion but these guys actually like everyone else really know very little about their religion. In interviews with ISIS in some arab programming they interviewed a bunch of these idiots and they couldn't even state the basic tenants of the religion. The Middle East is such a mess because of so many reasons, pointing out one thing and saying that it is just due to that is a very dumb and simplistic point of view. Those who can't think beyond black and white will conclude "It's Islam". Carry on.

2. okierock

okierock Member

Sounds like liberalism.

1 person likes this.
  3. thumbs

thumbs Member

:):) Tried to give you some rep, but I apparently need to spread more rep around. Well said.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

On this issue, we are in complete agreement.

I think the underlying motivator behind all of this is hate. Hate doesn't come from religion, it comes from a perceived injury to one's soul. It's an act of expanding mistreatments to a group of people. That doesn't mean anyone is to blame, but it does mean understanding the real motivators and cause perhaps can help get us closer to a real solution. I personally feel that escalating these cycles of violence is not helpful to ultimately building peace between groups of people.

The real problem is discrimination and ostracization and feelings of disenfranchisement. Of course an individual is responsible for his actions and the path they take. But considering the devestating consequences of those actions on innocent people, it might be worth digging deeper vs. judging quickly so we can think about addressing underlying causes and getting to real solutions.

5. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

You are mind-numbingly ignorant.

Prescott Bush (41's Dad) and Henry Ford were vile antisemites who supported Hitler and worked tirelessly to keep the US out of World War II. Pearl harbor derailed their plan.

6. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

1 person likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Actually, a large portion of ISIS members are well versed in tafsir of the Quran and hadith. al-Baghdadi himself is a native arabic speaker and has a PhD in Islamic Studies. This rhetoric that most who join ISIS are not knowledgeable in Islam is just rhetoric from apologists who are trying to generate a narrative that it is impossible to interpret the Quran and the Hadith the way ISIS is doing.

8. Buck Turgidson

I've been out of the loop, but has there been any legitimate information that ties this a-hole to radical islam?

9. Major

Major Member

Yes to radical Islam. No to ISIS.

10. Buck Turgidson

Thanks. I have not had the time to pay much attention to this, and now the thread has gotten a bit silly.

Do you have a decent article or 2 that summarizes (or in depth) where things are now?

11. Major

Major Member

This is the most I've seen:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/shooter-tennessee-quran_55aab832e4b065dfe89e8af5?

Nothing absolutely definitive, but a lot of threads that seem to point to at least some radicalization and then maybe something just snapped one day.

Not surprising to see that he used the background checks loophole to buy his weapons.

12. Buck Turgidson

Oh goddamit, really?

13. Major

Major Member

Yup. The Craigslist of weapons, apparently.

According to Abdulazeez's friends, he purchased three guns on Armslist.com after returning from Jordan, including an AK-74, an AR-15, and a Saiga 12. They said he also owned 9mm and .22-caliber handguns.

Armslist.com is an online listing site on which individuals can buy and sell firearms through private transactions. Critics say it enables people to obtain weapons without background checks, though the site has a disclaimer that it requires users to agree to follow all state and federal firearms laws.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Its not a loophole. Its a blatant disregard to the law unless he bought them in the same state. If these were interstate transactions and no background checks were ran and they are able to trace the guns back to the original owners, arrests should be expected.

15. Buck Turgidson

Thank you for just depressing the hell out of me. I didn't know that site existed, but I shouldn't be surprised. I just clicked on there and "bought" something that nobody should have any business buying without serious background checks, the only verification was a 4 part disclaimer where I only had to click on the "I agree" button once.

I'm a gun owner (a many gun owner), and this is just infuriating. **** the NRA.

16. Buck Turgidson

None of what you are saying addresses the problems we are talking about.

17. Commodore

Commodore Member

edit: wrong thread

#117 Commodore, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  18. Major

Major Member

And if he did buy them in the same state? Which is probably likely since there's no reason he would need to travel to another state when plenty of guns are available in his own state.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

6 pages in and no credible evidence that this was an ISIS terrorist attack. Gee, no wonder the Iraq War was so easy to sell. 'Murica.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm asking again: What difference does it make whether it is an ISIS attack (as in the guy had direct connections to someone at ISIS (which isn't exactly more than a loose conglomerate of Islamists anyway)) or whether it was inspired by the same fascist ideology ISIS adheres to?

Is anyone disputing that this guy was motivated by Islamism?