1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Jul 16, 2015.

1. PointZero

PointZero Member

Josh started at PF in the NBA playoffs and the Rockets won 3 straight knocking out the Clippers and winning the Western Conference semis in 7 games.

The Rockets won ONLY because Josh started, took control of the ball, increased the tempo, created for his teammates (not just himself) and improved the chemistry of the team.

2. PointZero

PointZero Member

Career:

Donatas Montiejunas
    8.2 points 4.2 rebounds 1.1 assists 0.5 steals 0.4 blocks

Terrence Jones
    11 points 6.4 rebounds 1.1 assists 0.6 steals 1.4 blocks

Comment: Low bball IQ players. Rocket black holes. Cannot handle the ball and do not pass it. Note the low assists. Unable to create.

Josh Smith
    15.1 points 7.7 rebounds 3.2 assists 1.3 steals 2.0 blocks

Comment: High bball IQ player. Unselfish. High assist rate for a PF. Lots of assists to teammates. Can handle and pass. Always looking for the open man. Looks to create opportunities for others. Must play his natural position PF. A power forward, point foward and stretch four all rolled into one. A fleet-footed mismatch. A rangy, fast tempo player.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

... You're not very bright, are you?

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I need a Tylenol now.

5. malakas

malakas Member

:eek: wow

Comment: PointZero. Bellow zero bball IQ fan.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Amazing how so many posters have their favorite pet player and you can't talk sense with them.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

JCDenton has met his match.

who has a higher bball IQ, this guy or Smoove? Right now it seems like a tie.

8. delta69er

delta69er Member

Are you a 10 year old who just started watching basketball?

9. PointZero

PointZero Member

Just posted the statistical facts and people can't handle it.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You called a player with some of the dumbest shot selection in the nba a willing passer and high iq player....

Maybe he is high iq compared to you though *shrug*

11. PointZero

PointZero Member

Career facts:

Donatas Montiejunas
    8.2 points 4.2 rebounds 1.1 assists 0.5 steals 0.4 blocks

Terrence Jones
    11 points 6.4 rebounds 1.1 assists 0.6 steals 1.4 blocks

Comment: Low bball IQ players. Rocket black holes. Cannot handle the ball and do not pass it. Note the low assists. Unable to create.

Josh Smith
    15.1 points 7.7 rebounds 3.2 assists 1.3 steals 2.0 blocks

Comment: High bball IQ player. Unselfish. High assist rate for a PF. Lots of assists to teammates. Can handle and pass. Always looking for the open man. Looks to create opportunities for others. A rangy, fleet-footed mismatch. A power forward, point forward and stretch four all rolled into one.

Just the facts.

12. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Not dismissing the fact that josh smith is a good player and that the rockets have definitely gotten worse with his departure but you are hugely undermining the improvement of dmo over the course of this last season

13. PointZero

PointZero Member

Go re-watch the playoffs. Good shot selection when it counts. Clutch shooter.

As for passing skill, let's compare assists per game (career):

Josh Smith: 3.2

Donatas Montiejunas: 1.1

Terrence Jones: 1.1

While Josh is an unselfish passer who creates, Montiejunas and Jones are black holes.

14. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

I'm not too bummed about Smoove leaving. I liked him on the Rockets but I honestly thought he'd be better than he was. I was kinda hurt when we helped Artest's image and then he left after one season, so I'm not going to let it bug me this time. I already know the Clippers will be the Clippers when the playoffs come around so I'm good.

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

I think Smith was afraid the Rockets would trade him mid-season if given the chance for a PG or to upgrade their roster in other ways. With the Clippers he was guaranteed a spot on their roster all year.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This wasn't about anything but playing time. Why can't people accept that? Morey was honest with Smith about what his PT was like and the Clippers offered him more. Josh is an intelligent and smart man, and realized that he'd get more money in the long run with the Clippers and being able to shine on the court. It was the most logical move he could make. For those throwing in emotions and such - you aren't giving Josh Smith a lot of respect.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

i agree with this and your previous post about Josh. He went because he wants an opportunity for one more really good pay day.

I think where josh might run into issues is that part of the reason he flourished in Houston is because of the style of free flowing offense that Houston runs. It gives the freedom for a certain amount doing your own thing. Kevin McHale encouraged Josh to shoot 3's regardless of his percentage and Josh actually became pretty good shooting 3s.

Doc runs a much tighter offense in LAC and expects people to play a very defined role. Doc is more of a micro manager than Kevin. Ad to the dynamic of Chris Paul also expecting people to be where they are supposed to be and it could turn out bad. I'm not saying josh can't have a good season playing for Doc but I do think there is a substantial chance that his numbers look more like what he produced in Detroit then what he did in Houston. And if that happens I don't think he will be very happy next off season because people will look at the resurgence he had in Houston as nothing but a fluke.

1 person likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Most obvious conclusion was that Josh Smith and his agent are smart enough to have seen the way Houston was moving forward and guaged that he had a lot of money left to make in a contract if he's put in the right position.

With the Rockets it's obvious that the Donatas/TJones rotation is probably the long term direction as both guys will probably be brought back next summer as RFA.

I'm sure Josh and his agent pushed the Rockets for an answer as to who they are wanting to make a long term commitment to and their answer was probably DMo and Jones as the primary backup with Smith being someone they would like the keep but not someone they would trade one of their other bigs in order to keep. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh's agent asked them if they would entertain trading one of those two and I'm sure Morey would say not at this time.

Which made the decision easier to be the third best big in a contenders rotation who would make that commitment to him long term or get him guaranteed PT on a big stage in order to increase his market value next Sumer for one last pay day.

I hate to see Smith go but I think both parties made a good decision.

19. PointZero

PointZero Member

Why can't people accept that Josh Smith is more skilled and has a much higher basketball IQ than Jones and Montiejunas?

You don't lead a team back from a 1-3 deficit in the NBA playoffs to win a series 4-3 if you don't have a high basketball IQ. Josh had the second highest usage rate on the team as the Rockets made their epic series comeback, meaning the ball was in his hands a lot and he made great decisions with it. Handling, passing, creating, shooting, defending, leading. Not going to get that from Jones or Montiejunas. Thanks, Daryl. A middle of the pack team again.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

He didn't lead the team dingus. He blew up in game 6, that's is all.

Why are you not mentioning is horrible play against GS? How about the game where harden was gonna go for 50 but smith took 17 shots in 15 minutes. And made 3 of them!!! That might've been the series. If we had gone back to Houston tied 1-1, maybe we still have a shot.

Btw, Healthy Dmo is way better than josh for this team. Would rather see Dmo take a three than josh. Would rather see Dmo in the post than Josh.