1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith signs with Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SportsWorld, Jul 16, 2015.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I'm very surprised at this turn of events, but it's not life threatening for the Rockets, nor is it totally unforeseen.

Josh decided to take signficantly less money (maybe up to 2 million less per year by the time taxes are deducted) than the Rockets offered to play behind an All-Star Power forward in Blake Griffin. This tells me one of a few things:

a) Josh wasn't guaranteed the starter's job here and preferred to play as a back up to Griffin instead of either DMo or TJones, or whomever because maybe he felt that lowered his value....or

b) Maybe Josh didn't like someone with the Rockets as much as it was said during last season....either Morey, or McHale, other coaches, Harden, the other teammates, or even his best friend from AAU Dwight Howard......or

c) Doc offered and sold him as playing SF a lot to get more minutes and offered him a guarantee of a bigger payday next year when the cap increases.....or

d) He just wanted to live the LA lifestyle and play for a bigger market team finally.

The one that makes the most sense to me is B. Something just doesn't seem right with this turn of events, and I think that all of a sudden for some reason, Josh wasn't as happy here. To me it showed a little in the Golden State series.

All that said, I think we will be fine. But Morey needs to get us a starting PG. Bev needs to come off the bench, or I don't think Harden will be happy next season either. I hope he gets Lawson, but anyone that can start over Bev will do.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't wait for the day when ignorant garbage stops popping up on this message board.

The Clippers are paying him less than we offered.

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Where was this picture when the infamous "scolaisballin" screen shot was posted with the p*rn page open in the background. LOL

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Once again, his decision makes a lot more sense when you consider that he wants to be in the best place possible for him to make bank next summer.

It was about a bigger role on a contender, this year. That's it.

5. PointZero

PointZero Member

Doesn't matter. Morey made clear the team's priorities were Sergio Llull and KJ McDaniels. They got offered the Rocket's MLE. Josh didn't.

So he left. Didn't matter what the Clippers could pay him. He left on principle. Morey made clear the Rockets didn't value him as much as Llull and McDaniels.

6. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

i don't think he has a bigger role, but he probably does have a better chance to win on the clippers than with us, as both teams stand right now.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just like Artest to me. He worked out as a gamble but we were ok after he left.

I love Artest and will love Smith

Both guys got us out of the first round.

8. OpportunityCost

Not sure why everyone is so surprised. Maybe he felt he had a better chance to win in LA. They definitely have a better coach and more talent with CP3, Jordan and Blake. Guess not all players want to be here after all Les, (i.e. Sergio and Josh).

9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Nah this is a different situation. When Artest left we were in rebuild mode. We have a shot a winning a championship with 2 legit superstars.

10. chandlerbang21

regardless of how many dumb plays he made on a fast break, he was instrumental in our playoff run and his streaky shooting lead the rockets to the conference finals. Something Tjones couldnt do . He will be missed

11. c0r0na21

c0r0na21 Member

Its because the rockets are too busy talking to Chuck Hayes and toroavic or whatever his name is.

12. opticon

opticon Member

Steve Balmers net worth ia pretty big to say the least.

What is stoping him from leaving a briefcase full of cash at Josh's front door?

Illegal transactions happen in this country all the time.

13. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Josh left for the clippers?! For vet min?!!! Now maybe the insiders can shed some light, did Rockets organization did something wrong? Josh simply felt he has a better chance there?
    It all started with DJ, F**K him, had him kept his promise to Cuban, we would have two rivals in the WC eliminated.

14. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I really don't think Doc is a better coach that Milk Hair.

15. jinyaotmac

jinyaotmac Member

Let him go,
    Who is going be the replacement?

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Clear indictment and a bad one at that of the coach McHale and Morey

Josh left money on the table, left his best friend to go play with rivals. He clearly has no belief in the patheti McHale or the over-rated statistical nerd Morey

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Then why did he come in the first place?:rolleyes:

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's possible that Josh would have gone to the Clippers no matter what the Rockets did,but not offering the full MLE to him was stupid on Morey's part.

I am sure he felt disrespected by them. It's a big blow for Houston.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I can't say I blame him, probably thinks the championship odds are better in LA and I have to agree.

I'm curious to see how short of a leash Doc will put on Smith. He won't get as much of a free pass there but then again they might not need to rely on him as much.

I felt he was a bit overrated, but I'd certainly take Rockets as is w/ Smooth than Rockets as is w/out him. We'll see what Morey can do next.

20. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

He chose the better team thats all.