1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

Maybe, but I am pretty great at both high-fives and fist bumps.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

So you are saying that as 3 main starters, on a top-heavy team, started aging, they got worse?

Really didn't follow the Celtics much, did ya?

In '08, the C's won the finals in 6 against the Lakers. Rondo was, like you said, the 4th most important starter on this team.
    In '09, the C's lost in 7 to Orlando in the ECSF. Rondo averages the near triple double, but KG's injury doomed the C's in this year.
    In '10, the C's lost in 7 to LA in the finals. Rondo was an All-star. Ironically enough, for all the Perkins hate, many attribute the C's losing game 7 because they lost Perkins to injury.
    In '11, the C's lost in the ECSF in 5 to the Heat. Rondo was an All-star. Many thought this was the end of any contention. But Rondo wasn't having any of that.
    In '12, the C's lost in the ECF in 7 to the Heat, which won the ring in 5 against the Thunder. Rondo was literally keeping Boston alive. Rondo was an All-star. It took historic performances by Lebron to down the Rondo-led C's that were up 3-2.
    In '13, the C's didn't make the playoffs, despite Boston getting more depth. Rondo tore his ACL 38 games in; Ray Allen had left for the Heat. Rondo was still voted in as an All-star. Ray Allen at this point of his career was NOT an all-star caliber player. In fact, he was 2 years removed from being an all-star. Clearly, Rondo made a drastic difference.

This washed-up version of Rondo isn't somebody I want on the Rockets, but to deny his past ability for the C's is revisionist history. Clearly, he was only the "4th most valuable player" in 2008.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Rubio is not worthy of any kind of hype.

4. spark06

spark06 Member

Neither of which would allow you to even see playing time at the Y. :grin:

5. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

Roll me out with James Harden and my high-fives will be epic.

6. spark06

spark06 Member

The only five you would ever pick up on a court with Harden would be fouls. Lol.

7. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

As long as I'm on this train, I decided to look up Prigioni, who one might imagine could be an old-man's version of Rubio.

The dude has shot 67% on layups for his career. Even on some truly stinky Knicks teams, the worst he ever shot on layups was 57%.

I want to like Rubio, but every time I look up his stats my brain explodes. If he could shoot 40% on wide-open 3s, like Jason Kidd learned to do, he could be passable. But that's like asking Dwight Howard to become an 80% FT shooter.

8. spark06

spark06 Member

40% on wide-open 3's? LOL. I'm going to assume you just started watching basketball. 40% on 3's is ELITE! That is top-15 shooter in the LEAGUE. Who the hell in their right mind would ask Rubio to make that? BEVERLEY can't even make that so how is that the measuring stick? 40%?! LILLLLLLL

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Beverley shot 43.6% on wide-open 3s last season.

Rubio shot 23.5% on wide-open 3s.

10. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

If you can't make a layup, you better be above average in 3s. Jeremy Freaking Lin made 37% from 3 last year and not all were wide open. Rubio has the easiest 3pt shots in the entire NBA because nobody guards him. 40% on wide-open 3s means you can shoot as well as Jeremy Freaking Lin. Is that too much to ask for someone who can't make a layup?

11. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

Wow, nice lookup. I just assumed it was true but the stats are even crazier than I thought.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

The Lakers literally made no effort to guard Rondo in this series. They put Bryant on him and he sagged back and rested/played rover on defense. This is the smart way to play him that apparently only Phil could figure out.

13. spark06

spark06 Member

Beverley's %s have gotten worse by the year while taking easier and more WIDE OPEN shots. Rubio shot 33% from 3 next to Kevin Love over the course of a season. That's 2% lower than what Bev shot this year. Not to mention, your sample size for Bev is 56 games. Rubio was top 4 in assists per game a season ago. Bev will never crack top 20 in his career. Rubio is also amongst league leaders in steals every year.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Boy you are either a troll or really clueless. The reason Dallas was not a contender was they had a porous defense. Rondo was meant to shore that up without destroying their offense. End result? Slightly improved on defense, devastatingly bad on offense. The numbers are there. On/off, ORTG/DRTG before/after, efficiency drops in multiple players before/after - I'm not going to do your homework for you if you really want to understand the negative impact Rondo had on Dallas. They were "fool's gold" because they couldn't play defense, not because of offense (at the time they were near the top rated offense in the NBA, close to GS and ATL). If you want to define a good team by their playoff performance without understanding the big picture, you're a fool. If you want to define a player's impact without delving into the myriad ways in which he affected (negatively) all aspects of Dallas's game, you're a fool.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Don't feed the troll. Beverley is an above average 3 point shooter. Rubio can't hold Beverley's jock when it comes to shooting the 3.

16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

You're assuming this Rubio is the same player. Apparently Minnesota is not keen on making that same assumption, hence their investment in LaVine and Jones. But maybe you know something everyone else doesn't.

17. spark06

spark06 Member

And like I said, EVEN AFTER DISMISSING RONDO, Dallas still had no answer for us. Blaming Rondo for Dallas' shortcomings is ridiculous. Do I really have to remind you that this is a team sport? Never mind that Chandler Parsons wasn't around....Never mind that Dirk is a shell of his former self. This team had issues that were going to be exposed in the playoffs REGARDLESS of how they performed in the regular season. Only a fool thought Dallas was going to do ANYTHING this year, with or without Rondo. Keep sulking in your regular season stats though. You saw how far it got the Hawks.

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Sulking???? lol!

I HATE the Mavs.

We were a BETTER TEAM.

Without Rondo Dallas beat us once and scored 128 on us!

Parsons isn't a star but he's a legit PnR ball handler!

What the hell is your point? You're a fool.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

why was this thread bumped??? was there new news about Rubio and Minny planning on parting ways???

20. spark06

spark06 Member

My point is that your regular season stats count for NOTHING in the postseason! What are you? Some kind of casual NBA fan? Regular season stats got the Hawks a nice whoopin' in the Eastern Finals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.