1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I think the only thing is from the original OP's post and nothing since. The rest is driven by summer boredom / speculation.

2. spark06

spark06 Member

I never said Rubio is a better shooter. I do think what Rubio brings otherwise FAR outweighs Beverley's shooting abilities. 35% on WIDE OPEN SHOTS next to a MVP candidate?! Can your shots get ANY EASIER? PATRICK PATTERSON SHOT THEM AT A HIGHER CLIP! Give me a break. Bev is a GREAT backup PG, but starter caliber? Nope. His percentages CONTINUE to drop while getting EASIER shots. There's worse out there, but he is by NO MEANS a great shooter.

3. mercy road

mercy road Member

Sigh. You have a hard time understanding the modern NBA don't you? Acquiring Rondo last season basically wrecked Dallas. It torpedoed a beautiful offense, turning it into something mundane. Nobody guarded Rondo outside of 8 feet from the basket. Rondo is the closest comparable in the NBA to Rubio. Rubio is a very bad NBA player on an inflated contract that the Wolves no doubt would love to dump. He is an anachronism. Morey, being the intelligent man that he is, will never acquire Rubio.

4. spark06

spark06 Member

The fact that you think Rondo was the reason Dallas' sucked just shows how near-sighted you are. Never mind the fact that Dallas KNEW they sucked and figured they'd take a risk because it couldn't hurt them anymore with Parsons done. How dare you call a player finishing top 4 in APG just one season ago a "very bad NBA player".

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you're actually defending Rondo after what just transpired this past season, then yeah you just lost any kind of credibility, if you had any to begin with.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well obviously he's going to think Rondo is amazing if he thinks Rubio is any good at all. At least he's consistent with his awful takes.

7. spark06

spark06 Member

Rondo threw gas on the fire, but that team was going absolutely NOWHERE. He was not the SOLE reason Dallas sucked. That took a team effort and a disappearing act from Parsons. I'm a realist, not a homer.

8. mercy road

mercy road Member

I have neither the time nor the will to explain the modern NBA to you. However if you want to do some work the key to that puzzle rests with the GSW last season. The brand of basketball they played will revolutionize roster construction for years to come. Basically everyone can score from anywhere on the court on offense and they can switch on screens on defense in most circumstances. It is just an extension to the mantra we have all heard over the past couple of years - "the NBA is becoming a guard dominated sport." Expect big fast wings and fast bigs with range to dominate the game. There is no where in that paradigm for Rubio.

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

You're something for sure but not a realist haha. Dallas had an elite ORTG before Rondo. There's a thousand articles about this and you can look at the numbers yourself if you don't believe them. Give me one objective piece of evidence that Rondo wasn't the reason that Dallas fell apart. They weren't a top tier team but they had an elite offense with a top 5 Pnr ball handler (Parsons) and two top 5 PnR finishers (Chandler/Wright) and an elite pick and Pop shooter (Dirk). That offense was amazing pre-Rondo; they brought rondo to shore up the porous defense. We all know how that worked out.

More proof? Pre/post-Rondo Dallas offense in the playoffs. It's right in front of your face.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really a realist when Dallas was 19-8 when they got Rondo

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I actually can't believe it's gotten to the point where we have to defend dallas when it comes to the case of Rondo. that's disgusting lol

12. spark06

spark06 Member

Remind me of how Dallas won the series after taking out the PROBLEM in Rondo? Lol. First, it's Rondo's fault. Now, it's because Chandler wasn't in the playoffs. Lol:rolleyes:

13. spark06

spark06 Member

DALLAS was fool's gold! Atlanta had an AMAZING regular season run, but we all know how that worked out.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i guess you failed to noticed Dallas played a lot better without Rondo lol:rolleyes:

15. spark06

spark06 Member

Oh so what you're saying is they got a ribbon that said "Participant" on it?! Lol. :grin:

16. spark06

spark06 Member

And did you really just reference SPORTS ARTICLES as proof?! Lmao. You realize these are just people with opinions right? I once read we should trade James Harden for Kevin Love too. Here is a reason Rondo wasn't the reason Dallas fell apart.....THEY LOST THE SERIES EVEN AFTER SITTING HIM.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can't compare championship Rondo to Rubio. They are only similar because neither one can shoot. The difference is Rondo could get to the rack at will back then, and make a layup. Rubio can not. You do not have to cover Rubio at all when he doesn't have the ball.

18. spark06

spark06 Member

Because Rubio gets easy shots in that offense right? I mean look at the supporting cast around him. It's safe to assume that he's been getting opportunities as open as Beverley's considering he plays next to an elite star like James Harden, right? To make a more reasonable comparison, let's look at his stats when he played next to Kevin Love for a full season (which he only had the opportunity to do once because Love was always hurt, as was he) . Hmm what a surprise....Rubio's 3% suddenly becomes 33%. 2% short of Beverley's so-called deadeye sharpshooting at 35%.

19. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

Check basketball-reference. Last year's Rondo is nowhere close to the Celtics champion Rondo. Rondo for his career has been a good finisher, shooting over 60% FG at the basket (0-3ft), even last year. But he can't get to the basket anymore because he's too slow. In 2008-2009, 56% of his shots were at the basket. Last year? 31%

Ok, now look at Rubio. Is he the young Rondo or the washed-up Rondo? Well last year only 18% of his shots were at the basket, at 32% for his career. So his ability to get layups is as bad and maybe worse than washed-up Rondo.

Perhaps that's because he is just very picky about his shots, and therefore only takes layups when they are easy? Actually no. For his career he shoots 47% FG from 0-3 ft and last year he only shot 33%. 33%!

The only reason I would ever want Rubio on the Rockets is to give me hope I could make it onto the team too.

20. spark06

spark06 Member

I seriously doubt your physical abilities will ever allow you to sniff top 4 in APG for the NBA in any given year of your existence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.