1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels Offer Sheet Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 2, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

It's pretty simple. Rockets have the full MLE which is scaring teams away from making any sort of offer sheet. Rockets have to be offering McDaniels a bargain type deal which is why he hasn't accepted it. In turn, Rockets are probably telling Smith that they might be able to offer him more than the $2.49MM that they can currently offer... which is why we haven't seen any sort of movement on his part.

It is a chain reaction.

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

My ideal (realistic) scenario would play out like this:

1) Someone offers McDaniels a contract equivalent to what he would get if he'd been drafted 9th overall in this year's draft. McDaniels signs the offer sheet and the Rockets match. 1st year salary would be $2.177M (3 years, $6.83M total).

2) Rockets offer remaining $3.277M of MLE to Josh Smith (3 years, $10.28M total). He agrees to this.

3) Rockets sign Montrezl Harrell to a minimum deal.

That seems fair to all parties.

3. basketballholic

If McDaniels signs an offer sheet, watch to see if a trade develops involving the team he signs the offer sheet with and the Rockets.

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Wonder if Morey is in talks with Phoenix or Toronto to get them to sell high on KJ. He could do a sign and trade including KJ, Jones, etc for Bledsoe or Lowry.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't agree on Josh Smith.

First, he wouldn't want to be locked up for 3 years at a way below market deal. He MAY accept a one year deal and try to hit free agency again after the big cap jump next year.

When you factor in the offset from Detroit, the $3.3 he would get in your hypothetical would only net him $400k more than the $2.5 non-bird offer he has from us....hardly an amount that will sway him either way.

Regarding Monrezl, that's not the Rockets MO. They don't give their 2nd rounders minimum 2-year deals. They give them 3 or 4 years to get their bird rights. Papa is an exception but only because they wanted him more for trade purposes than as a player.

I don't know how many of you remember this, but a week ago Calvin Watkins tweeted that Montrezl would be signing a 4 year deal with the Rockets. He then redacted AND apologized (twice) for the confusion and that Montrezl had not signed. The original tweet has since been deleted.

Why am I bringing this up?

Because a 4 year deal means we would use a portion of the MLE to sign Harrell and that we could NOT match all offers KJ receives. In short, everything comes back to McDaniels. We are putting the screws on him, warding off other teams with the threat of matching and driving KJ's price down as much as possible.

I have no doubt that Watkins heard Montrezl would sign a 4 year deal...he didn't make it up. But it doesn't benefit the Rockets at all for that to be out there, and my guess is someone from the FO called Watkins immediately after he tweeted out the deal with Montrezl and barked at him for a few minutes...thus the multiple apologies.

So we're waiting on KJ. He want's more than the Rockets are offering, and thus far hasn't found a team to give it to him. Remember that he did this with Philly last year....he's willing to wait. Unfortunately for him, so are we.

As for the Montrezl's potential contract, here's my guess: 2 guaranteed years above the minimum (somewhere close to $1 million per) followed by 2 non-guaranteed years with a team option on the 4th year....ie the Chandler Parsons contract but with a little more money up front.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Who signs first Smoove or Mcdaniels?

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Smoove

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

McDaniels is garbage and is holding us up.

I couldn't fathom having this guy make the same amount that Smoove.
    S&T please.

Bye.

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

You can't S&T with the MLE. Smoove still has his Detriot money and will be making 7M+ next year.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah I don't see what people seem to really love about him. I would guess teams aren't as high on him as people on here are.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

High defensive potential, can create separation on shot. If he learns to shoot, he's a very valuable player. Tough to judge the risk. He's likely to get overpaid, but if he gets underpaid, it will be by a lot.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well, in particular, how the league office would respond to such a sequence of events.

For those who don't know (and I'm sure basketballholic knows), under the CBA, teams are PROHIBITED from agreeing not to match an offer sheet as part of a trade with the team extending the offer sheet.

However, it is unclear whether those two teams can make a trade that does not *expressly* involve the matching or not matching of an offer sheet. This is a delicate game that the teams would need to play with the league office, as there is at least some possibility that the league could come in and disallow a trade if it suspects a circumvention of the CBA.

I'm wondering if it would be better in such a situation for the two teams to first complete the trade, THEN have McDaniels sign the offer sheet with that team. This way, the league would have already approved the trade; and it would be far more difficult for the league to justify invalidating an offer sheet (much less forcing the Rockets to match it) than it would be to disallow a trade. (Of course, the other team would have to trust that the Rockets would not just turn around and match the offer sheet anyway.)

Definitely something to watch out for...

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the teams are gonna talk ahead of the signing of the offer sheet, wouldn't it be easier just to make it a S&T if the salary matching works out? I guess the issue would be to preserve Houston's MLE.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Teams cannot use the MLE to sign-and-trade players.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, so it would have to be sign then trade months later right?

17. malakas

malakas Member

wow that would be very risky thing to do.

18. malakas

malakas Member

and in that extreme scenario the team to cooperate must have the following things :
    Part of the mle, or room mle to offer. A surplus of guards. A hole at wing. A GM who likes risks.
    3/4 qualifications fits Boston. Not sure what they can offer. Room mle?

19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He is going to riding the pine until he can learn to shoot. Harden minutes need to come down but Mchale will go with Thorton when Harden rests. Ariza/Brewer lock down all the remaining wing minutes. So no shot equals no PT unless we have an injury. All this makes me worry about him becoming unhappy if he signs for what he thinks is a low offer and his only extended minutes are D-leauge minutes. I could be wrong but I think the dude wants to get paid AND play.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's a very big IF. You can use the IF statement with most players in the NBA. How valuable would ________ be if he learned to ___________ ?