1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Airdough

Airdough Member

Buy out entails waiving the player. The buy out just reduces the cash payout to the player but the cap hit remains unless they go the stretch provision route. If a team picks him up off waivers they require the room to sign him under the cap and assume full responsibility for his existing contract.

It's doubtful someone would claim waivers but instead try to sign him to a 1+1 deal where they get him cheap and have the option to get rid of him without having to take a cap hit the next year.

If you believe he can be rehabilitated, then getting him for a minimum contract for a year is worth the risk. The waivers story could possibly be a smokescreen to get someone to trade for him versus risking having to compete for his services on the open market.

Assets are all about what it takes to get them and if Lawson becomes free at a small contract, then it's worth the risk and better than allowing another contender do the same. The Rockets have enough depth and the right people to help Lawson while also being able to easily jettison him if trouble arose. It wouldn't be another Rondo situation.

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

You should read what I wrote again. I never said it was acceptable, but I did say it was something that was fairly common. Barkley had numerous DUI's.

Most people on here are acting like hypocrites who never had a glass of wine yet they probably get hammered chugging bud lights in dive bars every weekend or "tailgating" on stadium parkings before a game.

What Lawson did was terrible, yes. He will be punished by the law like a regular citizen who has committed a crime. But that shouldn't change the way he is perceived as a basketball player. If it does then that clouds your rational judgement.

He was doing this on his own private time. Just like most of you do god know weird things during yours.

3. basketballholic

True. If the price is right. In this case, the right price is a free agent deal for one-year guaranteed for somewhere around minimum salary to possibly a couple million dollars (part of the MLE).

Agreed. He'll have to get somewhere and do that first though, before he's worth $25 million for 2 seasons. He's not worth gambling on at that salary and years.

Smith just got done starting for us in the playoffs.

Amen. Well said.

Me either. We should be able to state our case, answer questions about what we know or believe, and ask questions of others for clarification or to open their minds to better ideas regarding transactions and Rockets basketball play.

Yup.

By the way, Airdough, Lawson was on my signature when I made this thread http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9345796#post9345796 in November of last year. I kept him on my list of value contracts for a little while until I received information that the Rockets weren't interested in him because of the combination of bad defense, attitude, and personal problems he had.

After I received that information I took him out of my list and I consistently posted that we weren't interested in him because he doesn't defend and he's not worth clogging our cap up in 2016.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ty Lawson lays down the law, son. He is a beast I'd love to have this dude

1 person likes this.
  5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Also, reading people say "Les cares".

Where was Les when TJ stomped on a homeless man?

Where was Les when Lowry through a basketball to a girls head?

Where was Les when Rafer had that altercation?

Les cares, he does... he cares about winning. And unlike most of you he is a grown man who understands that men make mistakes and aren't perfect.

6. s.b713

s.b713 Member

He has issues if he's getting 2-3 DUIs. I Drink occasionally but in a responsible manner and have never gotten a DUI. His problems are getting to the point to where he may serve time. He needs to be out of jail if he wants to have a job lol

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Morey, you sneaky dog.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Are you even reading what's going on here?

You're advocating anteing in in hopes of winning a game when the dealer is standing there offering to pay your ante for you to win with no risk of losing anything.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Still want a guy with multiple dui's?

10. malakas

malakas Member

You are wrong. They didn't have to salary dumb all of them for capspace, Ily was enough- infact if they didn't trade for Vazquez noone was necessary.
    And they didn't get a second rounder for Dudley either it is too a protected second rounder lol (dumb dumb dumb gming :rolleyes: )

The point is it is done.
    However Lawson is TOXIC and he will require assets to get rid of or he will be bought out. Just not generalise it that it is never done.

11. basketballholic

I give up. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. You still don't get it.

What team is under the cap by $12.4 million or more will "pick him up"?

12. malakas

malakas Member

We are NOT trading for 26 million owed to someone who is having a breakdown like Lawson has. If he's waived we can get him for almost free.
    There are risks and there are RISKS. This is a gamble noone would make. It's 26 million gamble. Not worth it.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If we get Lawson after he is waived, it would just be unbelievable.

Could care less about DWIs. Only driving he is doing here is into the lane and there ain't no cops on the court.

1 person likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

well the only remote possibillity is Philly but I think that Hinkie even HE will know better than to bring such a malcontent to his team. And for the record I think Hinkie is totally irresponsible about team chemistry and giving good examples to his young players however even he won't do it. In my opinion.
    But technically he could, since they desperately need a pg.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Are we 100% certain he is going to spend time in jail?

16. Lightsnowaction

Give Lawson a 1 year contract and stay in pursuit of KD in 2016.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Lol! This

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, totally unbelievable as in it's an unrealistic scenario. If he clears waivers, he'll go to someone that can pay him more.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Philly has to hit the salary floor until february and there is another salary dumbster competition in town in Portland. And with the new capspace rise their free capspace for hire has lost value.
    So it's not entirely dismissable that he would dare to take such a chance.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. Sign him with tons of behavioral stipulations in his contract. Hope he turns it around.

If you can get somebody with his talent at basically nothing, you do it (Smoove).