1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Texans QB: Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Dominant, Jun 15, 2015.

?

Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2015.
  1. Ryan Mallett

88.8%
  2. Brian Hoyer

11.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that insider information?

#Soon?

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Nah, just wishful thinking.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm right there with ya, the off-season is dark and full of terrors.

4. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I'm all for the unlimited optimism some of y'all are showing, but if Hoyer starts I don't see us having a successful season. I think the ceiling would be 10 games with eight or nine more likely.

Mallett has shown the signs to be successful. He was rated highly out of college and dropped some due to talk of maturity issues. There was no better place to learn than New England. He sat and learned from the best in the game in Tom Brady. It also explains why he never started.

He came in last year and looked fantastic in the first game. In the second start, all of his throws were just a bit off. Of course, we'd find out later that his pec was torn which helps explain that game.

It should come down to camp and if Mallett can't beat out Hoyer, it may be another wasted year for Watt. I do think the D will be ridiculous though and can see Arian having a big year so who knows.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So it's looking like Hoyer atm. Is bobby gonna back-track?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never do. If it's Hoyer, the outlook for the season is pretty grim. We can hope the defense and run game really step up their game because we'll have worse QB play till they inevitably bench Hoeyer.

That said, I still highly doubt he wins the starter job to begin with.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Says the guy who says Fitz is a good QB.

If Mallet doesn't start it's because he sucks

And Bob knows way more than you

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are ridiculous trying to re-write history. Anyway, let's not talk about QB's because you've proven time and time again that it isn't a subject you are qualified to talk about.

9. Buck Turgidson

What made you say this?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Tania Ganguli slotted Hoyer in as the starter in a random thing she did on ESPN.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

12. Buck Turgidson

OK, I figured it was speculative b.s.

13. Mr. Clutch

Speaking of re-writing history, you also said Mallet sucked last year. Now he's awesome, apparently.

14. Mr. Clutch

It was generally regarded by observers that Hoyer outplayed Mallet in OTAs.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I said he had accuracy issues, he does. However, he was a relative unknown and was able to make up for some of his accuracy problems with a quick release and arm strength which I didn't see coming. Now after OTA's people are bringing up his accuracy issues as if it's something new....

Where Mallett will separate from Hoyer will be when the pads are on in real game situations. Hoyer is a known commodity....we know he'll look bad in that scenario, he always has. Mallett found a way to look pretty good in that scenario in his first start last year. If he can find that again, he'll easily get the nod and the Texans have a very high ceiling this season. If not, well, we'll be stuck with Hoyer till he inevitably loses the starting job due to terrible performance.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mallet sucks in practice but will magically get better in games.

Good argument.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hoyer looked good throwing the ball around in a t-shirt and shorts....clearly he'll be awesome in real games despite him never being good in real games at any point in his career.

Good argument.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Neither player separated themselves from each other. That's why Coach hasn't selected a starter yet.

19. Mr. Clutch

No one made that argument. Hoyer is outplaying Mallet so he'll get the starting job if he continues to outplay outplay Mallet.

Or you can hope Mallet is a VSpan who will be awesome if just given the chance to start a bunch of games.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Actually you were making that argument. You think Hoyer will continue to look good once the pads go on and they get in a game type situation despite the fact that he's never looked good in that scenario.

Mallett has looked good in that scenario at least once in the past, which makes me think he is more likely to look better in that scenario in the future than someone that is consistently awful in game scenarios.