1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why haven't we resign Josh Smith yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jul 7, 2015.

1. fv court

fv court Member

has free agency started yet?
    signed, J. Snooze

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

J snooveee baby

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i think the question would be why Brewer is still not officially signed? as compared to the re-signing of Bev

4. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Keep everyone from last year except TJones. Get decent role players from that trade. Do your magic Morey.

D12

5. mockster

mockster Member

I think its suspicious he's not signed, I'd like to give the rockets the benefit of the doubt that he's holding out so rockets can make moves for more players such as KJ and vis trade jones

My only fear is the Kings, obviously we saw that Rudy gay tweet that said "future kings" with Rudy n Josh in the pic and obviously he's cool with gay and friends with rondo

Obviously it seems foolish for him to leave rockets after the success he's had along with how far they got. But players are funny in NBA and have differnt goals in life other then winnings rings

6. malakas

malakas Member

I think the fact that he isn't signed yet is good for us for sure. Maybe Dwight/Morrey is trying to convince him to stay for less money with us.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Maybe, but after Brewer got his contract, I'm sure he wants a similar one.

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

J snooze we need you baby

9. bmd

bmd Member

I wonder what the deal is.

It's too quiet in regards to both Josh Smith and the Rockets' as a whole.

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I never thought of it like that he is watching bev and brew **** up some commas and he like dayum

11. PointZero

PointZero Member

That's the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

Josh Smith is a much better player than Terrence Jones and Donatas Montiejunas.

The priority should be the best player the Rockets have at the position. That would be Josh Smith.

Terrence Jones and Donatas Montiejunas are a couple of scrubs.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The reason why the Rockets and Josh Smith, and KJ McDaniels' situation hasn't changed is because these two players (and their agents) know the Rockets offer will likely never be able to change since they are operating above the cap.

There is a scenario where one of the other guys signs elsewhere for more than the Rockets can afford and then more money out of the MLE gets freed up.

But the situation is at a standstill because the Rockets only have what they have to offer. At the end of the day Rockets fans should be more and more hopeful that both guys can come back on very reasonable deals because of this. The more time that goes by, the likelihood should increase that they both accept their deals with the Rockets after the free agency money dries up.

So stop complaining about the Rockets "dragging their heals" and taking too long. You don't know what the hell you are talking about. Taking a long time is actually a good thing in this case.

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

For what it's worth, KJ's value is a smoke screen.

Brewer was a SMART signing! ;) A guy who can drop 50 points on us and play his heart out every night is hard to find. I don't give a damn if that LAC rim rim-checked him. CB is a keeper. Morey knows that talent and drive is hard to find.

Now to J-Smoov, not to be confused with my college roomie J-smooth (proud of him for longevity!) Always had a goal to play behind a great center. I wish Morey saw what he could do just a bit more. He can be a stretch 4 and his jumper has been better every year. But I am biased...friends do that to you.

This is why JSmoov is quiet:

Value. His biggest value is here. His family (Dwight, Trevor (have grown SUPER close since the Clippers "alleged" quit that Dwight suggested) Jet, James, Corey and Kevin (yuck) Mchale believe in him)

No other team is going to offer him the money he thinks he's entitled to.

Plus, that Detroit money is still good.

Josh has said repeatedly that he wants to win (check interviews.) He is no lnger the ATL Josh at the Highlight factory. Houston gives him the best role to do what he can do, AND DMO IS NOT HEALING AS FAST AS We'd all like. Believe me, I was wrong about the kid, but I'll still go to war with a guy who can play in the post and knock clutch threes down. Josh still has what DMo needs time to find: Personal Pain. That Pain, That Doubt to win. Kevin McHale, Dwight and ,yes, Trevor (long story) made Josh a winner again.

Unless something happens out of this world, Josh will be a Rocket. My town of PHX has some interest due to J's ties with Bled and TyTy, but Dwight isn't letting go. That's not speculation. That comes from verbal intent.

It's like a Cuttino/Stevie thing haha. DM holds the cards, but if you want your again, but dominant, healthier by the day, center, happy, you keep his very, VERY best friend. Detroit is paying. Houston doesn't have to offer much other than a decent role and freedom.

I don't know Josh, but when I worked in the Beat, Josh is an introvert and wants freedom. Not cash freedom. Court freedom. And, as much as Kevin can't get his X's and O's together, Josh has repeatedly said that Kev is the ONLY coach since High School that believed in him. That says a lot. Well, to me as a HS and college coach/scout.

I don't know what KJ will do, but he is a non-factor. He hasn't proven anything yet. Josh has a track record. And, a good one at that.

FOr all of you doubters, THERE would be NO game 7 vs LAC without Josh and Trevor. Remember that. Josh showed more heart than I've seen for ages. Same with Jet.

I'm exhausted though. Is anyone in Vegas for the Summer Showcase? Message me? Let's watch. My cell is open and my seats are good. The talent is unbelievable, and Phil Jackson may just have made me a believer. He's either got Dirk or AK47 with a jumper.

Love is Love until All Love Is Lost.

-Cod.

PS...I love ya'll, and I'd like an update from BimaThug if he has time.

14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

according to this July 9th John Feigen article

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...million-deal-to-stay-with-rockets/#34198101=0

The next step is to "match an offer sheet that McDaniels might sign" and "Smith remains a long shot to return". It does go on to say McDaniels could be trade bait.

Here is the entire article, in case hasn't been already posted.

The satellite trucks that once rushed into place to herald the return of Jeremy Lin stayed in garages. The throngs that celebrated the arrival of Dwight Howard stayed home. Even the shock and disappointment that marked the Rockets’ initial decision-making last summer was noticeably absent, replaced by lessons learned and playoff series won.

With the NBA moratorium lifted and teams free to complete the deals they had spent the previous week putting in place, the Rockets made the quieter moves expected all along. Klieg lights were not necessary. After a run at LaMarcus Aldridge that ended as the season had – the Rockets finished third – the Rockets turned to keeping some of their own free agents.

Point guard Pat Beverley signed his four-year, $23 million contract on Thursday. Sixth man Corey Brewer will soon follow, signing a three-year, $23 million contract as early as Friday.

Though the Rockets arrive at this point differently from a year ago when they surprisingly opted to let Chandler Parsons jump to the Mavericks, they are in a similar situation, choosing to be patient and looking to be in position to make upgrades as available.

“We don’t have the perfect roster or we would have won the championship,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. “There are areas we can continue to improve and we’ll work to address them.

“I don’t ever worry about having a great off-season. That’s never a goal. We’re worried about being a better team in April. We have the flexibility to add free agents. We have the flexibility to make trades if they’re available as well.”

The Rockets still have hope they can sign Jason Terry and Josh Smith, but the next step is expected to be to match an offer sheet that K.J. McDaniels might sign and to position themselves for trades, an individual with knowledge of their plans said last week after Aldridge committed to sign with the Spurs.

Smith remains a longshot to return. The Rockets are over the salary cap and have their full mid-level exception of $5.464 million. But much of that is ear-marked to match a McDaniels offer sheet and to sign second-round pick Montrezl Harrell.

Smith could accept a non-Bird tender offer of up to $2.49 million, but there is little reason for a player of his caliber to rush to take that, even with the Pistons also still also paying him.

Smith has received interest from “multiple teams including contenders in each conference,” a person with knowledge of the talks said. Nothing is considered imminent. Another individual familiar with negotiations said there has been little recent dialogue with the Rockets given the Rockets’ limitations.

The Rockets are hoping to add another playmaker at point guard or another position, but no deals are considered close. If anything, for all the attention placed on the start of signing on Thursday, the Rockets were not close to a trade and were not rushing to add one of the unclaimed free agents, focusing instead at least for now on developing the young players already on the roster.

“We have a lot of places we can improve,” Morey said. “We have a lot of young players I think will be better this year. Nick Johnson. Clint Capela. Obviously, we have (draft picks Sam) Dekker and Montrezl Harrell. Terrence (Jones) and Donatas (Motiejunas) are going into their fourth year and both have had abbreviated seasons so it is very reasonable to expect they’ll be continuing to improve at their age.”

Beverley might fall into the same category, having yet to play a full NBA season after signing in January of 2013 as a free agent and then playing just 56 games in each of the past two seasons as he battled injuries.

“Pat’s a key part of the team,” Morey said. “If you go back to our team that made the Western Conference Finals, who knows where we could have gotten with Pat. Obviously, we feel like we’re a much better team with Pat. We’re excited to have him back. That’s another area we can be better in the playoffs next year than this year, to have Pat and Donatas.”

That did not inspire July fireworks, but a year after Morey said he would look beyond summer signings and was rewarded, he was willing to keep a better team together and keep looking.

15. chandlerbang21

if they resign KJ he better not ride the bench for an entire season. Morey bout to let to important guys walk for a project players. This team already lacks shooting now its about to get worse

16. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

that my worry right now..no shooters are added on our roster..dekker? If we stand pat..dunno if we can get into the next level

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I appreciate this post, thanks.

Porzi is a Dirk/AK47 clone? I mean, combo of the both (and not Dirk's D/Kirk's O)?

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Cod,

Thanks for the insights. I believe it would be real tough for Josh to leave Dwight, McHale and the Rox. He finally found the love and his game blossomed at the right time.

Freedom, as you describe it here is something Josh won't necessarily earn at those other destinations. I also believe the success he had in playoffs are moments not easy to forget, nor easy to replicate somewhere else.

As always, I appreciate your insights and would love to hear your thoughts on Rox SL squad after today's game.

Take care,
    Shark

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

If we resign KJ, I believe he becomes Harden's b/u and will receive regular rotation minutes. However, it will depend on situation, team we're playing and how Brew is doing. KJ/Brew will be fighting for those back-up 2/3 mins.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If KJ is a smoke screen like Codman says, it may be possible to expect the Rockets to offer Josh Smith the entire MLE as a last resort, provided if Josh tells Dwight his plan before signing with another team.

There is no doubt that Morey wants to kill multiple birds with the two stones that he has.
    Return of Josh, KJ and adding Harrell to a 3 yr contract.

It's a gamble, that may not pull off, if Josh feels slighted by Morey and Les.

If Josh does get a big offer from anyone else, I believe he will be gone. Frankly speaking I am surprised that he hasn't signed with Dallas. Cuban will do anything to get him out of Houston IMO.