1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If I Were Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PersianRocket, Jul 3, 2015.

?

Which option is most realistic and helps the rockets out the best?

1. LMA

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Upgrade Bench

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Stuckey and Starting PG

25 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I only made this thread because I felt like this would get lost in the CyberX thread, like everything does.

If I'm Morey, I have 3 plans:
    1. Get LMA
    2. Resign everyone and stock up on quality bench players
    3. Collison and bench

1. The long shot and honestly, my least favorite of the 3. You get LMA, yes. But this means no smith (most likely), and either DMo, Jones, or both, are out. Not to mention Ariza possibly being out too. You lose bench depth, lots of money, and some quality young players that could contribute well (including fan favorite Capela).

2. Resign Brewer and Bev (done). Currently we have the MLE left. It could be possible to convince KJ and Smith to share the MLE since KJ is reportedly looking for 3 years/$10 and the remainder can go to Smith who's still banking with the Pistons. Make his deal end the same year as the Pistons one so he's not getting robbed and he'll most likely take the deal. Upgrade the bench by getting Beno Udrih to backup Bev and sign an insurance big man (Emeka Okafor???) at the minimum. Both can come by on low money. Also, send Jones out to basically any team for assets and let Prigs and Dorsey go. This roster looks like this:

Bev/Beno/Johnson
    Harden/KJ
    Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
    DMo/Smith/Harrell
    Dwight/Capela/Okafor

3. I mentioned this one earlier but wanted to make a small change and show how this is all possible without signing Stuckey into the MLE. Do a 3 team trade with Sacramento and Indiana. Send Prigs, Dorsey, Jones to Sacramento. We send Papa to Indiana. In return, the Pacers send us Stuckey and Sacramento sends us Collison. Since Stuckey is being paid using Cap Space in this context, we slip him into replace the money of Jones, Prigs, Dorsey, while Collison replaces the Papa money. This roster puts Bev as a backup where he seems to be best fit. Then with the MLE, like above, it can be shared by KJ and Smith and we could sign an insurance big at the Vet Minimum. This possible roster looks like:

Collison/Bev/Johnson
    Harden/Stuckey/KJ
    Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
    DMo/Smith/Harrell
    Howard/Capela/(vet big man (Okafor))

My preference as a fan is #2 because I love watching Beno play. But as a person who wants to see the Rockets succeed, #3 will make us the most successful. IMO.

Also option 3 has an alternative or two. Other guards are on the trade block such as Lawson and Jennings. Preferably I'd take Collison over both for flexibility reasons, then Jennings, then Lawson because he's a headcase.

The LMA deal would likely include Ariza, though it could just be that we have to clear the bench out for him per Bima.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

why doesnt clutchfans believe in terry as a solid backup sg?

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

why doesnt clutchfans believe in terry as a solid backup sg? just ened to get a qualty pg. stuckey works

4. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Can you explain? I didn't even mention Terry in this post.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Glad you're not Morey

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we all thought terry was just trade filler but he turned out to be a solid player for us even int he playoffs. reports say he's coming back and should be for the vet min. only thing missing on this team is a true pg or someone who can play the 1 that has good handles. stuckey would be nice. since his 3pt shot is new and shakey it wont rise up his price. if his shot stays with houston then its another moreyball steal

7. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Great breakdown.

You've made me feel good about all options.

I like any outcome that keeps Harrell and Dekker as viable options.

I'm a believer in both.

8. Jamers

Jamers Member

im not sure about collison.. he's a shoot-first point guard and we need someone who can lob it to dwight.

9. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Averages one less assist than Lawson throughout his career. But I did say option 3 could go through Lawson or Jennings as well since they're both rumored to be gone soon.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

If I'm Morey the first thing I'd do is ask Harden straight up what are the chances Durant signs with the Rox. If Harden says there's a high chance them Emma start preparing everything to lure him to Htown.

11. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

These options look nicer now that LMA is a no go..

12. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

How do you you know this convo haven't happened?