1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Corey Brewer to 3-year, $24M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2015.

1. spark06

spark06 Member

I say when your backup SF who is barely sniffing 20 mins is being paid more than your STARTING ALL-NBA DEFENSE PG...you overpaid.

2. Raven

Raven Member

These are very tradeable contracts.

3. spark06

spark06 Member

Funny how everyone can say... Oh Kyle Singler got paid this much so everyone better than him deserves more. But when Bevs contract is compared to any other deals, it's blown off because it was just a discount deal. Lol.

4. spark06

spark06 Member

The only way Brewers contract is plausible is if we have intentions of trading him or Ariza. And in that way only.

5. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Should have thrown in a bag of chips....

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Who was the twitter guy that reported the Rockets and Brewer were very far apart on a deal? Was it Woj?

edit: It was Calvin Watkins

#126 robbie380, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Steph Curry (MVP) was the 5th highest paid player on the Warriors last year and now he's behind Draymond Green too. Is that a problem for you ?

8. omgTHEpotential

15.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 apg, 38% 3P%, 55% FG%

9. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Brewer plays plenty of minutes. Him and/or Smith were our 6th/7th "starters" last season.

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

Not when that pointguard is one of the, if not the, worst starting point guard in the league and all defense award isn't even from the latest season. Let me remind you Beverley had a down season in 2014-15

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bro, you're dead wrong. That's fair value for Brew. And even if we don't trade Ariza it's still a good signing. You need defense to win. Brew can defend multiple positions, he's long, he runs the floor like a gazelle, and he's good in the locker room. What are you upset about?

12. Nook

Nook Member

The cap is going up 50% over the next 13 months. You are essentially paying your backup SG/SF 5 million in dollars today.

13. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Makes me feel like ariza is about to be in a s&t

Why would we wait so long and sign bev and brew back to back if morey wasn't planning something

14. spark06

spark06 Member

I wouldn't say it's a terrible contract. Never did. I just say we overpaid. Which we did. By how much is highly subjective. How many games did Brewer play alongside Ariza for over 20 mins throughout a game? The answer is NONE. He does not get enough MINUTES behind Ariza. And please don't try to convince me ariza will have a smaller role and brewer will have a larger one. He just doesn't see the floor enough.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brewer had his problems in the playoffs as well some standout performances in the playoffs.

But overall Brewer is a great bench guy, and not only is willing to do it, but loves the role which helps him be even better at it. Another great fit for this team.

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Brewers bad playoffs actually kept his value down. Late in the season he was playing great and I was afraid he would price himself out. I like him.

17. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I feel like the Rockets are your friend who just learned how to sail, and quickly bought a used yacht at an undermarket price. He takes the boat out often on weekends, has a total blast, and is crowing about how could he have possibly lived without it before.

Then winter hits, he gradually stops using it, and it languishes in harbor, sucking up money quietly. Your friend feels like maybe he should sell it, but then he remembers all those amazing moments he had last summer, and decides to hold on to it, and get REALLY GOOD at sailing next season, since he'll be used to how it handles, and everything will be familiar.

So he takes it out, and again has a great time on the water, except that he really is better now at sailing, and now he's noticing all the little drawbacks to the boat; he really wants to have a couple more feet in the cabin, and a little more speed, and that "unique" way you need to start the emergency engine maybe isn't so quirky anymore, and maybe it's time to trade up.

So he puts the boat for sale, knowing that when he first bought in, he was smart and got a really good deal compared to all his peers, so it should be a quick sale. Only it sits in the harbor, gathering dust, because it just doesn't have the features and newness that new boat owners want.

Because nobody wants a 32-year old boat who can't defend or shoot 3s.

18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

corey brewer was always part of our comebacks with his hu$tle - glad he's back

19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

i'm sure overpaid in you're OPINION right? in you're opinion.

20. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Who cares if you guys think the Rockets overpaid? We got him back (which most wanted), he's here long term (which most wanted) and came cheaper than others in FA (which most wanted). Plus, it's not like it's our money. It's Leslie's.