1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reddit in full riot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Jul 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

gamestop

1 person likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Their mom's basement.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Everybody calm down. I've already called the cops.

4. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

So apparently the person in charge of getting celebrities doing Q&A which is known as AMA, is fired because the Jesse Jackson Q&A went horribly wrong.

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Should we evacuate Katy?

6. Christopher

Christopher Member

Is it still up to read through it somewhere? I thought if people posed "difficult" questions to someone those questions were simply skipped over and not answered.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What are the gold coins that everyone is after?

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Reddit Gold.
    Basically someone can donate $5 to Reddit (idk, its like becoming a contributing member here) in your name and you get to be Reddit's form of a contributing member for a month.
    If someone "gilds" your post (donates $5 to Reddit in your name) you get a gold coin.

Idk, its pretty dumb, its like a $5 rep. I've never done it.

9. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

Here you go https://archive.is/jouWQ

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Did Obama declare martial law yet?

1 person likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Jesse Jackson is a shakedown artist and it wouldn't be surprising if he turned his guns on Reddit. His MO is to go after corporations until/unless they give him and his group money.

And the Reddit CEO is weak and already has a reputation for censoring speech she doesn't like.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Clutchfans, Fark and Reddit are my morning coffee reads, I find the occasional riots amusing. Frankly it's a newish and emerging medium and no one knows what they are doing really, or where the lines are between freedom of speech and necessary censorship are. It's a laboratory of social interaction in a world wide community. But it seems to be harmless either way, the gamer-gate riot and the hate speech riots lasted a couple of days then faded away.

If you go, click the "ALL" tab at the top and you can see all the 'outlaw' posts like those calling for the CEO to fired on her own site (and the NSFW)
    Hint: do not click on posts labeled NSFL.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

tl;dr - a long-time, well-liked employee who basically ran the wildly popular "AMA" series (ask me anything) was fired with zero notice or explanation. the top brass at reddit did not have anyone or anything in place to make up for this loss, no transition plan, etc, and so now basically an entire month's worth of AMAs with very important and/or famous people have had to be postponed or cancelled. in response to such crappy management (as well as other blunders like censorship, etc) all of the owners of the top subreddits featured on the homepage have pulled their pages down in protest. this is basically the same thing that happened to digg all over again.

edit: explanation of the firing here.

#33 DonnyMost, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are blaming Ellen Pao who has a rather ugly past (she lost her sexual harassment suit and was ordered to pay the defense court fees. she's also married to a formerly gay man who is being sued for millions for defrauding investors).

But is there any proof she's behind this? It could be that management hired her just to help push this through

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Thanks Obama!

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

As someone who reads reddit pretty regularly, I gotta say those guys will whine and b**** about anything.

If they had their way, it would be totally freeform and allow them to do whatever they please.

Most of them are too young to realize that is not the way most internet communities work, nor can it be....no matter how much they b**** about censorship.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its only a subset of "power users" that view reddit as a large community rather than an aggregation of smaller communities that really care about this stuff.
    I spend all my time in niche subs like r/nba r/rockets to avoid all that stupid drama.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

As do I.

I spend most of my time in subs dedicated to things I am interested in like motorcycles, aquariums, music and sports...with some minor reading in technology subs.

The larger social subs aren't my cup o tea, tho I will read some stuff that pops up on my feed for pure entertainment purposes.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ellen Pao allegedly firing an employee for having cancer must surely be the last straw. <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#GamerGate">#GamerGate</a> <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#RedditRevolt">#RedditRevolt</a> <a href="http://t.co/nmVP2bPiY6" title="http://twitter.com/Chriss_m/status/617059196157169664/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/nmVP2bPiY6</a></p>&mdash; Chríss (@Chriss_m) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chriss_m/status/617059196157169664" data-datetime="2015-07-03T19:55:51+00:00">July 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Isn't that against the law?