1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Myth Busters] Comparisons and Analysis on Montrezl Harrell's Measurements

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every other post is how "undersized" Montrezl Harrell is. Even Clutch himself referred to Harrell as an "undersized PF" in an article.

There is a difference between "short" and "undersized". For a post player, height is the least important when compared with wingspan and reach. A shorter height, and longer wingspan/reach may actually be more beneficial for a post defender. Ben Wallace and Chuck Hayes both had lower bases, which allowed for them to use more strength when defending bigger post players. It is also easier for players to get blocks/deflections with increased wingspan/reach.

1) Harrell is 0.75 in taller, has 2.5 in longer wingspan, and 2 in longer reach than Dorsey. Dorsey was an above average defender last year against CENTERS. If Dorsey could guard centers, Harrell should at least be able to guard PFs regularly and slide over to play center during small ball.

2) Harrell has a 3-4 in longer wingspan/reach than Draymond Green and 2-3 in longer than Faried. Just emphasizing that being a regular 4 and playing small ball 5 shouldn't be a problem based on Harrell's measurements.

3) Harrell has 5 in longer wingspan and 3-4 in longer reach than Blake Griffin and Kevin Love. These 2 players are not seen as undersized and Harrell is much longer than both of these players (yes, that's what she said).

4) Harrell has a longer wingspan/reach than Greg Monroe. Monroe is definitely seen as undersized.

5) Anthony Davis has incredible measurements. Harrell actually has a longer standing reach than AD, although 1.25 in shorter wingspan.

6) I won't go through all the starting PFs in the league. Some older player's measurements aren't even available. The only PFs that I think may have a longer wingspan/reach are probably AD and LA.

Bottom Line - Montrezl Harrell has better measurements than most PFs in the league and therefore is not undersized.

Montrezl Harrell
    Height: 6'8
    Wingspan: 7'4.25
    Reach: 9'1

Joey Dorsey
    Height: 6'7.25
    Wingspan: 7'1.75
    Reach: 8'11

Draymond Green
    Height: 6'6.75
    Wingspan: 7'1.25
    Reach: 8'9

Kenneth Faried
    Height: 6'7
    Wingspan: 7'0
    Reach: 9'0

Blake Griffin
    Height: 6'9.5
    Wingspan: 6'11.25
    Reach: 8'9

Kevin Love
    Height: 6'8.75
    Wingspan: 6'11.25
    Reach: 8'10

Greg Monroe
    Height: 6'10.75
    Wingspan: 7.2'25
    Reach: 9'0.5

Anthony Davis
    Height: 6'10.25
    Wingspan: 7.5'5
    Reach: 9'0

***All measurements are based on combine numbers for height without shoes plus 1 inch. This eliminates inaccuracies when players wear shoes that adds 2 inches to their height. These are taken from Draft Express per combine results.

#1 Medicine N Music, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    7 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Anthony Davis must have tanked his standing reach measurements to make his vertical leap look better.

3. Coach E

Coach E Member

Agreed, so tired of hearing "undersized".

This isn't the NBA of old, players aren't gawking giants anymore, they are quick, agile, athletic, and versatile.

PF in this era are NOT going to be 6'11-7'0. I think we are seeing this trend come of age.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great post! Very well stated. "length and speed" is the new NBA.

5. MD_in_Training

Harrell is basically two arms with a body attached to them.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dorsey wants to know if Harrell can compete with this in measurements:

[​IMG]

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

shorter hight, but competitive length and reach are actually more desirable. shorter hight usually means quicker at running the floor and quicker laterally for PnR defense and closeouts.

i think he takes dorsey's roster spot. in fact, (sort of off topic) i think all 3 rookies make the final roster, barring a trade. wood replaces jones, and dekker replaces papa.

8. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

Agreed: if memory serves, Yao was actually a half inch shorter in wing span than in height. While he was very skilled, I felt that his advantage in height was somewhat negated by his relative wingspan.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but how is AD taller and have a longer wingspan than Harrell but a shorter standing reach?

Not saying you're wrong, just not understanding it.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, we won't call him undersized anymore. But can we stop with this theory that the league doesn't draft tall PF/Cs anymore, especially when AD, Love, Griffin, Pau and LA are all classic height PFs.

We can say the leverage that Hayes and Ben Wallace used helped defense, but they were role players who couldn't score. The majority of the scoring bigs are still big, and will be as part of the definition of the sport.

I'm getting as annoyed by the popular theory that the NBA is moving to small-ball all because GSW did it against certain competition. Often in the NBA, we go to extreme viewpoints based solely on the success of one team. You won't be playing much small ball when you have all-star bigs on your roster, because they are big and it is an advantage still.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Charles Barkley was 6'4 and won MVP. Size does not matter and it's overrated. What matters is how good and skill a player plays and how smart he is and how hard he works.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ask bbholic about his neck theory.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I hope Harrell is agile and quick enough to switch onto guards and wings. That would be huge for our defense.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Shoulders are probably more narrow and Harrell's actual arms are therefor, longer. It could also have something to do with flexibility in the shoulders.

Two theories, one might be true.

15. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

:confused:

Paging jopat... this should be fun.

16. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

AD does have a pretty long neck.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

WTF, man? I know you didn't use that player with that phrase.

18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, didn't think about shoulder width. That makes sense.

But I'm gonna hold out for jopat's neck theory just for the lulz.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There never was before, and their never will be again, a PF that good who was that short. People who use rare anomalies as the basis of their claims are creating hyperbole. Size is not overrated in the NBA. You might be thinking of NFL linemen. If Scola was as tall and long as McHale, he'd be a HOFer. If Barkley was as tall as Kemp with the athleticism Charles had in his 20s, he'd be a Top 10 player of all time.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Spoil that **** bro.

Also I'm not sure how correct Harrell's measurements are, he was listed at 6'5.75 two years years when he was 19.5

If you look at him standing next to Dekker who is listed as 6'7.5 barefooted, you can clearly see Dekker seems to be at least 2 inches taller.

[​IMG]

Imo his pre draft measurement wasn't accurate. Also Harrell's "In shoes" height is only 6'7.5, giving him only a half of inch in height, he must of been wearing flats because that is the least is the lowest I'v ever seen added in height from shoes at the combine.

For example Cole Aldrich is listed at 6'9 flat bare footed, and then 6'11.25 in shoes. His shoes gave him 2.25 inches, but Harrell's only gave him .5 inch? Everybody usually gets at least an inch.

It just all seems off, I personally think it's a safe bet to list Harrell at 6'7 in shoes at most. With that being said though, I don't think that means ****, because he has bounce, a gigantic wingspan and is strong as hell. A couple more inches of neck doesn't make a difference IMO.