1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: same-sex marriage now legal in all 50 states.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jun 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Historic. Comments?

http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_26_2015

2. Northside Storm

merge with Judoka thread if needed (his was first).

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

BOOM!!!!!

4. Major

Major Member

Anyone who thinks the two parties are just the same and there's no real difference between the two should look at the USSC decisions the last few days and the real difference between the reactions on each side, and the shift that has happened to the entire health care system and gay rights since Obama came to office.

5. Northside Storm

The full opinion: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/14-556_3204.pdf

It is so ordered.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Any churches that do not wish to comply can refuse to marry gays so long as they exempt their non-profit status. I would be okay with that.

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yesssssss! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  8. mc mark

The Confederate Flag on the outs + The ACA upheld + Marriage Equality nationwide = the Magic Trifecta of a ****ty week for Conservatives.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I was really hoping for a 6-3 decision. I think it would have sent a much stronger signal especially on an issue as divisive as same sex marriage.

I think the more interesting thing are the dissents. Every member of the minority wrote a dissenting opinion. Roberts's dissent was pretty respectful and he acknowledged the gravity of this decision and the fact that supporters should celebrate. His point was that the Court shouldn't be the one to legalize same sex marriage (which I'd be ok with if he hadn't been a total hypocrite and not used the same deference to the legislature in Citizen's United) I did find his dissent to be very thoughtful.

Scalia on the other hand comes across like a complete jerk in his dissent.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The fact that 4 justices voted no to this is really disgusting and backwards.

11. Northside Storm

The living constitution enshrined.

"The nature of injustice is that we may not always see it in our own times. The generations that wrote and ratified the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment did not presume to know the extent of freedom in all of its dimensions, and so they entrusted to future generations a character protecting the right of all persons to enjoy liberty as we learn its meaning."

There's a LOT for morality conservatives and textualists to freak out about today.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The best one could expect was 6-3. Same sex marriage is still a fairly controversial and divisive issue even if a majority of Americans support it today.

Fortunately, it'll stop being an issue soon enough but for now it still is and the court's makeup in its ruling reflects that.

13. mc mark

BREAKING: Scalia Arrested Trying to Burn Down Supreme Court

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I wouldn't and that's total BS.

I do support the decision however.

15. Northside Storm

he is not happy at all.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was hoping for Roberts, but I guess that was too much to ask. We really need a democratic president just to ensure we have a liberal replacement for Ginsburg.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't agree.

I support the ruling, but the 4 who voted against it (at least the two I've seen dissents on so far, can't believe all four wrote one lol) aren't actually voting against the institution of gay marriage but are saying it was an issue that should have been decided by the legislature.

I disagree as I think it had reached a point where the courts needed to weigh in, but I don't think it's "disgusting" for a judge to think he is being asked to do something that is beyond the scope of his powers.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Land of the Free indeed

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Scalia is worse than Dick Cheney.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know liberals hate Scalia, but he is awesome to read.

I don't ask that judges agree with me, I only ask that they can demonstrate sound legal logic in whatever decision they come to. I think he does and his colorful writing is a pleasure to read, be it because I agree with him or because he is so salty in defeat. LOL