1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Chamillionaire

Imagine if we somehow got both. Of course Bev would have to be gone if that were to actually happen.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

As far as I'm concerned, Llull is committed. Too much smoke for there not to be fire.

The Rockets may draft a PG (unlikely), but they certainly aren't going to rely on a rookie to be a significant contributor. Llull is rookie in name only....the guy knows what to do and has hit big shots on big stages.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While I'm not quite as optimistic as you are that Llull is actually, finally, joining the Rocks this summer, I have a good vibe about Sergio making the move (a good vibe enhanced merely with a cup of java, not the kind of enhanced good vibes I had back in the late '60's). As far as how he would adapt to the NBA, I view him as similar to Scola. The first part of next season getting his bearings, and then becoming a major contributor in the rotation, improving as the season continues. Like Luis, Sergio is a heady player. In his case, a 1/2 with good instincts, a good handle, low turnovers, and entirely unafraid in crunch time. He can also hit his freethrows, thank god.

4. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is Lull better than Rodriguez? Because Rodriguez isn't very good. Lin-tier player (but doesn't play anything like Lin). Unless Rodriguez wound up on the Spurs where he'd be a monster.

6. Egemen

Egemen Member

Rodriguez is better than Llull. But Llull's playing style is much more suitable for Nba. And you say Rodriguez isn't very good. He is the best PG in the Europe right now and leader of Madrid offense which best in Europe too.

About Lin comparison is all about expectation. IMO both Llull and Rodriguez are capable of being good rotation players in contender.

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I donn't agree u. Rodriguez cann't give his team what Llull has given.
    I think any coach will put Llull over Rodriguez

8. Egemen

Egemen Member

In Nba yes, you're right. But in Europe, Rodriguez is better than Llull. Since Rockets is in the Nba, i pick Llull.

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Who is better Lull, lin, or a rookie PG in the draft

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Sadly this says more about European Basketball than about the quality of Rodriguez. V-SPAN was Euroleague MVP IIRC, but he sure sucked it up something fierce on the Rockets. Euroleague (and all the European subsidiaries) is just a far inferior league to the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

SR has already been in the league (and in the MerGrady trade if you remember).

P/G
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fr%2Frodrise01.html&div=div_per_game"></script>
    P/36
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fr%2Frodrise01.html&div=div_per_minute"></script>
    P/100
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fr%2Frodrise01.html&div=div_per_poss"></script>
    Adv.
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fr%2Frodrise01.html&div=div_advanced"></script>

Top Euro Point Guard you say? :grin::p

Granted he's now 29, not 23 but still.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

V-Span wasn't given a legitimate shot as a PG....He was relegated to a spot up shooter.

13. Egemen

Egemen Member

You have point but it doesn't change to truth. Both Rodriguez and Llull has a chance to make impact in the NBA.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think Rodriguez would be very effective for a good team, please don't think he's the same as in his past NBA stint. Also would be a very good fit for our team and shine at setting up everyone and orchestrating the offense.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's what he meant. He meant that in Euroleague style, Rodriguez's game is better, but in NBA style, Llull is better. It is not about how good Euroleague is. It's about which player is more suitable to the NBA style.

16. anchel

anchel Member

Why and what entails "he is better than"? A better passer? Better p&r player? Or a whole better player? ...
    If Rodriguez is a better player than Llull, if their coach has the best european PG -supposedly Rodriguez- at his team, what is the reason why he decides to start games with Llull at that position, and why is he giving more minutes to Llull -either at Euroleague or ACB-?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/teams/real-madrid/2015_euroleague.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/teams/real-madrid/2015_spain-liga-acb.html

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

What you just said doesn't make any sense at all. You say Rodriguez is better than llull, yet you think Rodriguez not suitable for the NBA but llull is, wtf? And if Rodriguez is better than llull, why is llull been the starter for Real Madrid Co-leader for Real Madrid? And he did started for Real Madrid in their Euro league 2015 title win and king's cup. And llull has been clutch for Real Madrid and saves them from losses. Rodriguez is no where there. Rodriguez maybe be a better passer than llull because he is a pure point guard, while llull is a combo of both shooting guard and point guard. But i'll take llull over Rodriguez any time, bro. llull has better skill set, better handles, and clutch. But I think both are suitable for the NBA.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

By the way Rodriguez is not the best point guard in Europe, that's a lie. Aaron Jackson, Nikos Zisis, Andrew Goudeloc, Vassilis Spanoulis, including Sergio LLull are Europe's best point guards.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

All I can hope is that he wont get homesick and start crying for mommy.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think a more accurate statement is that V-Span didn't give the NBA a legit chance.

JVGs offense was predicated on slowing down the tempo and taking care of the ball to prevent opponents from getting easy fast breaks and lay-ups off of turnovers. JVG was a micromanager when his teams were on offense and his teams were mostly defense and dump it into Yao or let T-Mac go to work.

V-Span was a turn-over machine as a rookie and that drove JVG crazy. He was beyond bad when he had the opportunity to get on the court. He didn't get others involved in the offense and couldn't make a basket.

Personally I think he could have been a very good NBA player but he needed time to get use to the speed of the game. He severely need to pay his dues as a rookie and learn the NBA game. Instead he cried about his lack of playing time that he did not earn. He cried about the culture, the food and how much he needed his mommy. The NBA and the Rockets never gave up on V-Span but the mental midget gave up on himself and threatened to never play professional ball again since HE believed that he was not good enough for the NBA.

Never, never, never say that V-Span wasn't given a chance. Never.

2 people like this.