1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HBO making a big run for Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hoopster325, Jun 19, 2015.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Good for him.

I'm not sold on the number one thing being a Simmons-centered show.

30 for 30 is great.

Grantland and all the associated on-line stuff, be it podcast or Youtube shows, were great.

But Simmons on the NBA pre/half/post game shows not so much.

Obviously, money talks, but I'd bet Simmons could find funding for his own thing at this point. Literally, a whole new network if he wanted... but more likely a online only type thing. It'd be harder, with a longer payout than the millions he'd likely get from HBO... but if Simmons was the principal sweat equity (eg. founder) owner of Grantland, for example, he'd be sitting on something pretty valuable. From a web/digital perspective, I prefer Grantland over ESPN, that's for sure.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is Bill the Prince that Was Promised?

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

perfect fit, Simmons needs a patron that doesn't require him to generate revenue/ratings

4. Raven

Raven Member

The problem is live coverage. He'd need to be able to cover major events as they are happening, not the following day. That's reason enough for him to start his own network, similar to what Glenn Beck has.

I'm genuinely surprised that CNN has never considered a nightly sports show. I guess they figure no one can top ESPN, but if Simmons was the host...

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz. Simmons is good at what he does and has a cult following but he doesn't have some sort of A-list celebrity personality that draws in the masses. Ultimately nobody knows who he is and he's not all that likeable.

I like him but he's not Howard Stern 15 years ago or something.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I wouldn't know who Bill Simmons is if it wasn't for CF.

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind seeing him on Comedy Central for a late night comedy sports show.

Maybe I should pitch that idea.

Maybe I should be Bill Simmons.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't know who Jontro is if it wasn't for CF.

9. Raven

Raven Member

He'd instantly become CNN's most popular host.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The point of Simmons isn't to draw in the masses - it's to draw in a specific demographic that HBO clearly lacks. For a network that has struggled to gain a footing in the sports world, it's a solid move. I'm not necessarily sold on Simmons as an On Air personality(and even less so on his buddies he shamelessly promotes), but he isn't terrible and if nothing else he says things other sports writers wouldn't dare.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Simmons seems like a control freak who wants freedom that network/cable can't provide.

It's pay cable or interwebs.

12. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

None of you are old enough to remember CNN's "Sports night," still the greatest sports news show ever?