1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I wonder if Kpap, DMO and whatever can get the Raptors to give up Lowry?

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd like to think that the players going to Toronto (KPap/Jones) presents Uriji with more high risk / high reward than what he's already seen with Vasquez and Ross. Amir Johnson could leave Toronto and that leaves the team with Patterson as their only power forward. KPap and Prigs both have unguaranteed contracts that, of course, can be waived which could open up some cap room for Toronto to work with (i'll need fact check to see if this is the case).

It looks like a lateral move but it, imo, benefits both teams incrementally in the short term and more in the long run.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The same reason the Rockets did.

Toronto has basically recreated the 2010 Rockets and it kinda sucks.

4. jump shooter

This. Repped my man, good post.

5. steddinotayto

I'd think Uriji would want a bounty for Lowry akin to what he got for Anthony. That being said, he'll probably ask for Capela, either Jones or DMo, a first rounder, etc.

It's quite funny how Lowry went from being an afterthought and almost getting traded at the deadline in 2014, to all-star, only to be possibly put on the trading block this summer.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That's not how it works here, though. When you're a superfan of one player, it's mandatory that you consistently dump on whoever else plays his position in an effort to magnify your guy. See, e.g., Bobbythegreat, select Lin fans 2013-2014.

(Repped, though.) ;)

7. KlutchQT

I would LURVE Lowry here. Wanted him badly last summer, still do. I do think Toronto will be moving guys, but I'm not sure I see why he'd be one of them. If he is though, I damn sure hope we're first in line.

8. steddinotayto

If Toronto moves Vasquez and Ross for non-guaranteed contracts they would get realclose to having a max slot this summer to pair an all-star level player with Lowry.

9. mercy road

mercy road Member

You know Bobby, I am not terribly high on Jones for many of the same reasons as you. But McHale is driven to win just like any good NBA coach. Heck, Morey had to trade Morris and Patterson, two decent NBA rotation players, out from under McHale so that he would have to play D-Mo and Jones. But Jones continues to earn PT from McHale and the coaching staff, so I just have to go with their judgement in the matter. When Jones is not contributing as much as the next player in line McHale just will not play him.

10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Oh Man. Crap. Losing DMO. I am not sure That helps us. He is the only player in the post I have any morsel of confidence in that can score. Howard can't post. Josh is a head case. Jones. Well. Verdict is still out. Capela can't post.. yet.. Unless there is a part two to this. OR that package nets a low post threat I am not sure how this helps us. I am sure it is one of several moves Daryl has in mind.

11. KlutchQT

Call me crazy (I'm sure some of you will lol), but I'd take James Johnson over Terrence Ross. There have to be some off the court issues there for Casey to use him so sparingly despite his crazy production when he does play -- I'd be shocked if he's still there when the season starts.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well this year, other than the first 4 games, there really wasn't another choice. They HAD to play Jones. I'm hoping for a better PF situation going forward. I think we can do better than Jones. Now, I can understand keeping him as a 3rd PF, but I don't want to have to rely on him for a serious role, he's just not a good enough player.

13. basketballholic

James Johnson is the second coming of Terrence Williams. A phenomenally talented knucklehead who is a problem in the locker room.

14. larsv8

He can want whatever, but the reality is the market for PGs is pretty much dead.

Rondo was had for basically nothing.
    Dragic was had for two late picks.
    Lawson is out there and is likely moved for a low price.

Lowry is 29 and coming off an abysmal playoffs and a terrible second half. It has to work for the Rockets, or we can always just gamble on using the MLE on Llull without giving up any assets.

15. KlutchQT

Yeah, there's obviously something. I was sick when we let Memphis pluck him from RGV. He gets to Memphis and was great there -- then they let him walk, w/ a skill set they definitely needed. First side-eye. Gets to Toronto, DeRozan goes down, he's filling up the box score every night -- then suddenly he's benched and Vasquez is out there being absolutely mediocre. Second side-eye. Post-season comes and they're struggling to score, rebound or defend, all of which he does well. Stuck to the bench. Third side-eye.

Yet, I'm still intrigued. :confused:

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again though, it's not one or the other, Llull isn't going to give you a starting PG, at best he'd be a quality bench PG in his first season. Also, you could have both.

17. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

You just said in another thread jones will never get it mentally if he cant learn defensive rotations , which i agree with you on...but here your supporting him?stop contradicting yourself.

And just because coaches play someone does not mean we should change our opinion on him...root for him, absolutely just like we do every rocket, but to think all of a sudden he contributes something to this team that we need shouldnt be the case because he doesent.
    I hope he gets traded and adding kpap and #32 to him makes it an intriguing package, but i would go ballistic if its Dmo traded instead of him , unless its to get love or LMA where i could understand i guess

18. steddinotayto

And I agree with your response. That being said, I think if he can get a max player this summer he'll roll the dice with said max player and Lowry. After that and it doesn't work out by trade deadline, Lowry's a goner. That gives Lowry a chance to build back up some trade value if they're going to trade him.

19. larsv8

Yes it is, they aren't going to trade for Lowry and then sign Llull to the MLE, that's a terrible use of your resources.

And we don't know what Llull will be, nobody does.

20. jump shooter

Last off season Johnson was on the rockets free agent list, I like him a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.