1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercy road

mercy road Member

According to nba.com/stats SportVU data D-Mo allows a FG% of 48.9% at the rim. Howard allows a FG% of 45.7% at the rim. I fail to see why you do not view D-Mo as a rim protector.

In addition D-Mo faced 6.4 shots at the rim per game last season and Howard faced 7.3 shots at the rim per game last season. So it certainly is not a small sample size problem.

Facing a GS style small ball (and we are going to see a lot of it next season) I actually would prefer D-Mo at center as opposed to Howard. Howard has always been extremely uncomfortable outside the paint, while D-Mo actually is a very good perimeter defender. According to SportVU data, D-Mo actually is a plus defender on the outside, but unlike Green he would be sorely mismatched against a very quick wing.

2. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

It certainly vacillates (violently) between rumor and rue more. If that makes any sense??

#37202 pariah, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  3. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Need more Cyber.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again, its a fit, and team defense issue. I think D-Mo early on in the season was protecting the rim at a clip that put him in the top half of centers in the NBA, and the stats backed that up.

However, his major issue, and by extension of the team's issue is the rebounding which needs dramatic improvement. The Rockets rely so much on Dwight and previously on Asik gobbling up every missed shot. You can't have that same expectation from D-Mo yet, but I think he's got the potential for improvement. As a team defensive rim protector, much like Yao, he uses his large frame well to move in the right spaces and has the foot speed to come out on alot of P&R's. He's a disciplined defender, not an athletic defender.

I've said it before that I think D-Mo should be groomed to be the center of the future after Dwight's departure or decline in a few years. I still think that can be the case, but I need to see three things:

A. Come back healthy?
    B. The way he played November to February... can we get that all season long?
    C. Can he improve with his rebounding?

The good news is, he's improved so much on his shooting, and his ability to move the ball makes it pointless to argue now because the guy absolutely can play the 4 too. Going small against a team like GS, yeah that lineup is going to torch the Rockets like the did in the regular season right this second, but maybe that changes in the future if the Rockets slow the pace down and score efficiently in the half court.

So basically I don't think its an issue either way. He's a keeper, and we just need to hope he's going to be able to come back healthy, can produce like he did at his peak last year, and improve on the boards.

5. dobro1229

Did you not think there was potential to get that as the Rockets got a steal in Capela? I understand he might be a year or so away, but IF (the ominous IF) he can take that leap forward this Summer, the Rockets have a really solid rim protector behind Dwight for the next three years guaranteed on a rookie contract. Kind of allows the ability to upgrade elsewhere in that case IF (ugh... the ominous IF again) Capela can make that jump.

6. mercy road

mercy road Member

Thank you for clarifying your position. I did not quite understand where you were coming from. And I agree. D-Mo is going to be an interesting case of a 3&D center with a post game. I do not believe the Rockets coaching staff has worked out the optimal way to utilize D-Mo's skills yet. I will be interested to see what they come up with next season.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

DMO is not a rim protector no matter what stat anyone wants to throw out there period. Your assessment of his poor rebounding is spot on and the big issue he will need address this off season is to get dramatically stronger in his legs as I saw other 7 footers like Aaron Baynes for the spurs man handling him down low at times. DMOs come a long way from being unable to break into the lineup till this season and I see him getting better just like TJ if they both can stay healthy. The overrating of DMO and the underrating of Terrence Jones with a mob mentality in here is at times very comical.

8. mercy road

mercy road Member

D-Mo was the Rocket's interior defense for the 41 games that Howard did not play. Unless you want to credit the Rocket's 6th best NBA defense to Dorsey and Black, or later to Dorsey and Smith. Without Howard and Jones for 41 games the Rockets only allowed 1.4 more points per game than they did when Howard played. And we all remember what a defense looks like without a quality paint protector. Layup drills when facing starters.

But I agree with you about D-Mo's rebounding. Hopefully he will work on it. Everything he has set his mind to do D-Mo has accomplished. Gaining weight, defense, 3 point shooting. We will see.

9. Aydge

Aydge Member

OPP FG% at Rim (Playoffs)

42.3% Capella
    42.7% Smoove
    45.2% Howard
    62.3% TJones

I like TJones, but dude was getting beasted around the basket and on the boards.

10. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Completely agree. This is why I hate some of these people that consider stats the end all. I don't care what stat you throw at me it is clear as day that DMO IS NOT A RIM PROTECTOR.

11. dobro1229

As a labeled "jones only fan" by some here I think it's safe to say I agree completely about the mob mentality here. We should probably just leave him out of D-Mo conversations. It's pointless. What NBA team is totally content with 1 power forward and that's it? Only in fan world does it have to be my guy vs your guy. It's perfectly fine for both DMo and Jones to both be quality players who do completely different things at the 4/5 spot.

Back to the DMo as a 5 thing. I think you are missing my point. It's not that DMo is an elite rim protector like Dwight. Of course the stats will look funky when they show he's at that level cause he's not obviously.

My point is that if Golden State can have Draymond Green as their 5 in the modern NBA than I can totally see DMo playing the 5 for a whole season WITH THE RIGHT team defense and right perimeter defenders.

This current team... Hell no. Right now they absolutely need someone that can cover mistakes and rebound against the elite offensive rebounding teams (which seem to keep growing).

In the future in the post Dwight years... Maybe but I don't see why not if you know the weakness this early to plan to improve them over time.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, he's not a shot blocker. Being a shot blocker and a rim protector aren't the same thing.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, it would have been super awesome if Jones had ever developed into a quality player.

14. cyberx

cyberx Member

What's up CF!

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I got excited when I saw you were the last post..:grin:

TEASE

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

HE'S BACK!!

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Now, you know you can't just post without posting news!! LOL!!

Just saying what everyone is thinking!! :grin:

18. jump shooter

Agree with you and for sure I can see him in smaller lineups at times playing the 5 spot especially with DMOs 3pt range and his sweet post moves. I want to see him get dramatically stronger in his legs, it will really help his game IMO.

19. dobro1229

Don't even start that BS again Bobby. He's a contributing NBA player whether you hate him or not, and he's a Houston Rocket until he's not. You've made your points time and time again. Put the pitchforks away for a bit please. He was never brought in and paid to be the second coming of Bill Russell so stop acting like he was meant to be and mob shaming him because of it.

20. jump shooter

Dobro it will never ever end lol, haters are going to hate and children will be children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.