1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

E3 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jev5555, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I was most excited for

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Nzq9epS2b1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Then grab a tissue box and a lube for this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jXU5k4U8x20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

u know nothing yung t

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Long post where I reply to several posts (sorry).

That seems to be the thinking I believe. Sony's doing a lot of "PS4/PC" projects with 3rd party developers (Street Fighter, Shenmue, and possibly this). Some of the NeoGAF "insiders" seem to doubt it will land on XBO, but I think it's really too early to speculate on that. If there's a market for it, they'll release it on that platform, just like they did for FF13 and FF15.

I'd have to double-check sales, but I think the past few CoD games might have sold more on PS4 vs XBO. Or at least it was close. With other games (like Madden, Battlefield, GTA, Destiny, etc.) all selling more on PS4, especially outside of the US. If you're going to do a deal like this (and I assume Sony helped make the deal happen), I think this one makes sense.

I would like it if these companies stayed neutral though.

Kitase was the director, and I believe he's the producer here. Nomura directed Advent Children though.

Nomura is pretty talented, but he's not perfect. He needs someone to reign him in I think. He can go pretty crazy. He's created some great things, but if left unsupervised, his projects tend to drag on (Final Fantasy Versus XIII, now called FF15) or go in weird directions (Kingdom Hearts). With Kitase and others on-board, I think we should be good.

Yeah, from what I understand, it's likely this project just recently began. 2017 is probably a best case (especially given how HD towns are difficult to make).

Nomura and Kitase have been pretty quiet for the last year or so (Nomura was removed from FF15 and apparently hasn't been doing much more with KH3). Perhaps they were toying with the idea for a while, and it maybe got approved around the time of the PSX show. That FF7 port announcement really seemed weird, but it kinda makes sense now. Given that, maybe they've had 4-6 months to actually start building content for the game. There was some talk about outsourcing the game. Perhaps that could speed it up...but even then, it will take a while.

And I agree with your other points. 2015 and 2016 could definitely be a lot better for Sony.

YourSecretLover more or less answered this already, but yeah, Kickstarter is a good way of gauging exactly how much interest there is in a project, and thus, how much money should be invested. Shenmue 3 won't be made on a $2M budget (actually less than that if you take out Kickstarter fees + rewards). I haven't read up on it exactly, but Sega and/or Sony will be putting some money into this. However, how much should they put? As mentioned, the reason we don't have Shenmue 3 already is because the franchise sold relatively poorly. They can't invest $50+m and only sell 300K copies.

If this can raise $10M and get ~100K backers (or something like that), then Sega/Sony will realize they can put more money into the project without too much of a risk. If it only raised $2M, they could complete it on a $15M budget (or something along those lines).

Additionally, and this is a pretty cynical (yet accurate) outlook, but publishers are also realizing that Kickstarter allows them to suck more money from their fans. The average pledge for Shenmue 3 so far is $81. Yet there's no way they'd sell this game at retail for $80. Kickstarter allows them to sell the game to a large fanbase, where each fan pays the most they're willing to pay for the product. This maximizes the amount of revenue they earn of the product vs the "standard" $60 per game model. Get the most fanatic fans to pay $100+, and get the more casual fans to pay $30 (fans who would have never bought the game at $60).

Anyway, Sony's E3 show certainly was a fun one. Definitely a conference that I will remember for many years. But as said, if you take out the insane hype, it wasn't perfect. Hopefully Sony continues to work on their weak spots. Really, I'm so glad to see Sony and Microsoft listening and responding to the wishes of gamers. Obviously there are business reasons behind these moves, but this is a big improvement over what we used to get. It seems both companies are really hungry, and fortunately we're the ones who get to benefit. :)

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Final Fantasy 7 dude, that's my favorite game of all time. Been waiting years for a remake, I've done everything there is to do on the original, multiple times. Although knowing the recent development time of the Final Fantasy series, this might take 8 years and be released on the PS6. They make George RR Martin look like a speed writer.

With Fallout 4, Batman, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Tomb Raider (eventually) upgrading to the PS4 is officially necessary for me.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Is anyone else glad they waited this long? Now we are gonna get a super advanced pretty looking ff7 instead of just a marginal upgrade in graphics and performance if they did this years ago.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes and No.

While the game is gonna be gorgeous, Squarenix has almost entirely abandoned traditional RPG's (as have most companies). I didn't hate FF13's battle system, but it was so frenetic that it felt basically like an action game and not an RPG.

If this game had been made 9 years ago, I feel the combat sytem would have been much closer to the original, or maybe closer to FFXII, which I loved. Now I get the feeling it's gonna be completely redone in a vein similar to 13, which may not be a good thing, at least to me.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

While a lot of good games were shown off, every time I see a PlayStation conference it makes me glad I bought a Xbox as well. (I don't know what's up with all the best E3 conference ever hyperbole though.)

I guess I just like more "americanized" games. Some of the stuff that comes out of Japanese studios is just too out there for me.

Last Guardian for example looks beautiful and awesome, and blah blah blah...but I don't think I'll actually play it. Same thing happened with Bloodborne; maybe I'll try it when it's $20.

No Man's Sky looks more and more awesome each time. I still won't believe it until I can play it for myself though. Uncharted looks pretty great, and I'm looking forward to the remasters (never played them).

Anyway...I'll still find reasons to pick up games for my PS4. (Batman on Tuesday for example)
    Also I can't say it enough, Sony partnering with Spotify was a stroke of genius. I though Microsoft would be first, but they apparently think people like Xbox Music.

#108 seclusion, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shenmue was a niche sega game. They should have done phantasy star.

Street fighter 5 would be a major win, except it is basically street fighter 4 with alpha characters.

Mortal kombat won this time. Capcom got lazy. From 1 to 4, they changed the art and character design.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

backwards compatibility doesn't provide a reason for you?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Publishers using Kickstarter is a disgrace, I am pulling my pledge now.

DD

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

No Rockets, Warriors or Pelicans due to 2K cover boys I'm sure. PETTY AF.

13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

From what I understand Yu Suzuki has the Shenmue license and is doing it himself with whatever staff he has. Sega is not a part of this at all.

Like another poster said it looks like the Kickstarter is more about showing that people are interested in the game rather then just funding the game. Now that its reached its goal Sony or whomever will step in and provide a legitimate budget to make the game.

14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

with backward compatibility, it may be time to get an xbox one soon. I was holding off between a PS 4 and Xbox One. I currently have the Xbox360 with many games some of which I haven't even finished yet, so this probably seals the deal.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I for once agree with you here, I would have been excited about Phantasy Star.

I thought that was weird too, and people were all fawning over it.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd like a full series of remakes. They sort of updated FF4, but only for handheld, so it wasn't some massive improvement. They also made a sequel on the Wii for it, which I enjoyed, even if the story wasn't super strong.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It's going to suck.

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

New StarFox!

20. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Yeah, the other scary thing about Sony's trifecta of announcements for games-we-thought-we'd-never-actually-see (besides the fact that they're all a long ways off) is that I don't think any of them is guaranteed to be any good. The actual gameplay shown for The Last Guardian looked underwhelming, and there are so many ways for them to screw up FFVII and Shenmue 3. I mean, they could be great, sure. But it seems almost impossible that they'll be as good as the hype surrounding them, which is astronomical in all three cases.