1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting 2B for the All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nick, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While Altuve isn't necessarily having anywhere close to an all-star season, neither is the guy who just overtook him for the lead (O. Infante).

Granted, the KC fans have stuffed the ballot box like no other this year... but there has to be at least a semblance of "standards" when it comes to putting a guy in the starting lineup.

I'd normally say the manager for the squad could use his own discretion and play Infante for one out before subbing in a more worthy player... but the manager for the AL this year also happens to be the KC manager.

I did put in some votes for Altuve... as I'm almost rooting for him to win it more out of principle vs. simply being an Astros fan.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13080826/kansas-city-royals-manager-ned-yost-apologize-all-star-backlash

#1 Nick, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The think the Royals fans may break the system this year. It's reached comical levels when a small fanbase is able to do what they have done.

I imagine the voting process changes. It stupid that you can vote 35 times in one session simply by clicking submit repeatedly.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You do have to put in a separate validation code for each time... so its not a simple "click". (unless they recently changed that).

While KC has a small market... they're probably more rabid about their team than any big market right now... and with no NBA/NHL team, the Royals basically own the city (and surrounding areas) from the Super-bowl till Chiefs training camp.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No, its the same, but the validation code takes like 5 seconds. You can vote 35 times in 3 minutes.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Damn.... what's stopping us then?

hell, its by e-mail... so if you have multiple e-mail addresses, you can vote 35x per each one.

#AnybodyButInfante

6. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Altuve isn't voted in, what are his chances of making the team? Kipnis, Dozier, and Pedroia are all having better years, arguably. Having deserving players get snubbed is the real crime of voting Infante in. .

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Kipnis for sure... he's the deserved starter.

The others will depend on whether the team needs a representative (as they still allow for that).

With all the Royals taking up starting spots, and with each team required to have at least one person there, there's undoubtedly going to be somebody "deserving" left off the team.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He won't get in, nor should he.

Unless Springer goes on a tear, it's likely Keuchel is our only All-Star. Will Harris has an outside chance, but as a middle reliever his numbers will have to be completely stupid, maybe even better than they are now.

Lot's of deserving guys will get left out this year because of the one player rule, and the Royals.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is Infante the worst offensive postion player in baseball?

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, among qualified players his OPS is the worst in baseball, by a comfortable margin.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Just voted a bunch of times (lost count). It is kind of bogus then I can just keep typing the code and hit submit.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Better ways of using our time

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's all of baseball, not just us. I'm not sure what they have done in KC, I don't care how passionate they may be there is something going one there.

The Royals now have 8 of the 9 starters, with Mike Trout being the lone holdout. Most of them have extremely comfortable leads too.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here is the latest AL voting update for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ASG?src=hash">#ASG</a>: <a href="http://t.co/9YMYBvIG2a">pic.twitter.com/9YMYBvIG2a</a></p>&mdash; MLB Communications (@MLB_PR) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/610525069195018241">June 15, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

So the entire ROyals team will be starting? lol

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And since they are the defending AL champion, their manager will be managing.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I voted 35 times for Altuve yesterday....and I made sure no Royals were anywhere on my ballot.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

What a travestshamockery of the system.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Wow, i've always like the mlb All-Star game over all of the other All Star Games, but a wide margin. But this is going to be stupid with all KC starters. I'm sure it's too late for MLB to step in for this year, but this can't be how it's done.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Part of me wants to see this happen, that way they thing about changing the system.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

exactly where i am