1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

so he will drive to the basket, jump and not turn it over?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hard to tell what really translates over to the actual NBA game....

Maybe steals, assists

You can almost forget about long range shooting and rebounding rate (yeah crunch those per 36 and 48 numbers you all)

3. mercy road

mercy road Member

I also am confused by all of the Llull love. If he was Milos Teodosic I myself could get excited about him being on the Rockets roster next season. I cannot remember a EuroLeague player who actually had a very positive impact in their first season in the NBA since Dirk and before that Sabonis. Mirotic of course did just fine for the Bulls, but his shooting, spectacular in Europe, was just abysmal at 40%/31% last season in Chicago. The competition in the NBA is just on a completely different level than in Europe.

Of course reading back through some of these posts it is obvious that some of you know much more about European basketball than I do.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

More or less (actually more rather than less, and I got the joke!). If you check his numbers in Europe, he is a very low turnover combo guard that has size, with an excellent assist to turnover ratio, who's a high percentage free throw shooter, plays better than decent defense (in my opinion) and hits a good percentage from behind the arc. Sounds like exactly what we need.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

There was this one game where he was something like 0-14?, all 3pt attempts, but he ends the game by hitting the game winner. This happened to be a mid-range jump shot.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You have DM the GM's draft board?

7. mercy road

mercy road Member

There is a case to be made for Ty Jones as the fourth best point guard in the draft. But then he is about as athletic as Russel and much shorter and without the great wingspan and great great skills. So Jones has to compete with the really really long, quicker and more athletic point guards like Grant and Wright. That puts him much further down on everyone's board than 10th. Well, almost everyone's.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd prefer Grant over Jones based upon measurables ... but damn its hard to overlook Jones intangibles. He might end up being a really good floor general type but the worst case is probably a career backup which isn't so bad at 18.

I'm really torn between the two .... Not so high on the others aside from Russel who will be long gone by the time the Rockets get around to picking.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good post.

On the one hand, we have had proof that outstanding physical abilities can be overrated (see Curry, who will not be confused with Russell Westbrook as far as a physical pg), but at the same time, we would like to add some size at the pg position for defensive purposes.

Therefore, I am good with either one, Jones or Grant as the pg at the 18th pick. Having said all that, Morey will likely choose a PF. lol

10. mercy road

mercy road Member

My main worry about Jones is his small size and his lack of great athleticism and quickness. Think Beverley with five pound ankle weights. A better passer probably, but not near the three point shooter Beverley is right now. Russel has great length for a point guard. That makes up for so many different deficiencies in the NBA.

But since Ty Jones was on that great Kentucky team it is difficult for me to get a read on him. It is much easier with college point guards like Payne who just have to carry their teams.

But Morey generally does not deviate from BPA so who knows what the pick will be. Or even if the Rockets will have a pick in this years draft. One thing that I can say for certain is that if the Rockets could have the first pick it would not move the roster more than one win next season. The Rockets are that good.

11. NotChandlerParsons

Or he reads Chad Jones stuff on ESPN.

12. aznjeff

aznjeff Member

it means we keep him as backup

13. mercy road

mercy road Member

Llull averaged a whopping 11/2/4.6 in Euroleague. Bev averaged 10/4/3.5 in the NBA. No player from Europe comes over and averages more in in their first year or two in the NBA. Most average much much less. So no, Bev is not backing up Llull.

14. newAge_Rockets

Euroleague is a different game from the NBA. Stats don't tell the whole story.

15. mercy road

mercy road Member

No player comes over to the NBA and does better than they did in Euroleague stats wise in their first few seasons. The NBA is prime time and Europe is the minor leagues. Some like Dirk and Parker and D-Mo and most probably Mirotic grow into their NBA roles and excel, but most others just wilt.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Just because you haven't seen a player do doesn't mean it can't be done. I can easily see Llull surpassing his euro league stats and apparently Morey does as well

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You clearly don't watch college basketball. First Tyus Jones played for duke. Second that was more a detriment than a misleading positive. Duke needed less from Tyus Jones than almost anywhere else he would have played.

Duke runs a very team oriented non hero ball type of game that doesn't allow for you to see the best in any player. If you want to see Tyus Jones true abilities watch him in high school. He is capable of taking over a game at anytime. As he proved in the biggest game of his career in the NCAA finals.

Coach K allowed that because it was for all the marbles. But usually he restricts Ty's role to playmaker/distributor and Tyus does that well. He will be better than he ever was in college with the Rockets. Tyus Jones is an upgrade over any pg we have including Pat Bev who is really not a pg. And the only thing we missed was hs defense... and thats because we had to senior citizens guarding the MVP.

Tyus Jones may not be the greatest athlete but he is a lot better than you give him credit for. Plus the kis is only effing 19. Give him a year to put on some weight and improve his agility. He is a better athlete than Mark Jackson coming into the league and that guy seemed to have a decent career.

18. mercy road

mercy road Member

I not only haven't seen that player, I cannot find him in the history of the NBA. In other words it has never been done before. Not by Sabonis, nor Dirk, nor any other Euroleague transplant. So you are saying that Llull will be the first European player to actually match his stats and efficiency in Europe in the NBA? Just asking.

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I'm not saying he will or he won't. I'm saying it's entirely possible. Obviously Morey believes it as well.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets draftee Sergio Llull with the game-winning basket for Real Madrid in Spanish League semifinals. What a game. <a href="http://t.co/wgvkjQt7qh">http://t.co/wgvkjQt7qh</a></p>&mdash; HoopsHype (@hoopshype) <a href="https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/608384763364286464">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sergio Llull is following The Rockets official Twitter page that's a good start</p>&mdash; Lone Wolf ♉ (@TrueAli1) <a href="https://twitter.com/TrueAli1/status/608407691766185984">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>