1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trans-Pacific Partnership

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ryan_98, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

anyone following this? not really sure i see how this would be of benefit.

i read about it yesterday in the wapo, and then i heard a fairly interesting back and forth on democracy now (sorry, the embed doesn't seem to be working. the interview is at the link).
    http://www.democracynow.org/2013/11/14/tpp_exposed_wikileaks_publishes_secret_trade

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...8e5d28-4c9a-11e3-ac54-aa84301ced81_story.html

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It will probably help increase foreign trade.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't get the Cato guy's argument in this. Really incoherent, inconsistent, and rambly. Lori pinpointed her argument to specific provisions that Bill should've rolled over, but Bill didn't want to concede the greater argument and didn't defend his positions well.

So it appeared like his corporate masters got to him because his opening statement was full of crap given the hidden riders that sparked the controversy in the first place.

4. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

finally looks like this is getting more scrutiny, as it should.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/08/tpp-trade-agreement_n_4409211.html

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Funny that Obama is meeting with congress on their turf to get them to fast track the TPP. Is this supposed to help cement his legacy or is he really that worried about the Chinese writing the rules (never mind that no one except the Chinese can read Chinese)? Apparently the Dems weren't happy with his and the Repubs' "thank you very much" program for laid off workers in the US. With the LIGTT and the Panama Canal expansion, what is the big rush to push this through?

6. hlcc

hlcc Member

What I don't understand is why the fascination with the currency provision. Where were all these holier than thou anti-currency manipulation politicians when QE 1, 2, 3 and the twist was in action?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They're dumb

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't followed this that closely but this does seem like a big setback for Obama as this was one of his main legislative goals in his second term. Given that he hasn't been able to get Congressional action on immigration, one of his other major goals. Obama's second term isn't looking that good.

This also shows how much the Democratic party has shifted from the New Democrats of the 90's.

9. Major

Major Member

The actual fast-track did pass, and Dems voted against something they actually believe in (the retraining funds). I have a lot of reservations about the TPP itself and am curious whether Congress votes it down whenever the actual agreement is finalized, but it looks like the fast-track authority will eventually pass. They are already planning votes again next week on the TAA, and many Dems are suggesting they might not vote against it again for fear of losing it completely if the TPP does ultimately pass. The media coverage of this has been really off due to a lack of understanding of what was voted on. The media saw the TAA vote, which was rejected heavily (300+ against), and took that as a rejection of the TPP or of fast-track, but it's really not the case.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As the layman, John Q. Public, howd' thafugikno. I know less than Shcultz about this, only politicians owned by lobbyist know anything about this.

Mr. Obama needs to open the documents to someone I trust, Bernie or Warren.
    If Ms. Warren checks it out, I'm good. She's a good democrat.