1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Futbol] Copa América 2015

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Nov 24, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. chrispaul3

chrispaul3 Member

LOL at the South American on South American diving exhibition

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

username is appropriate

4. Indaface

Indaface Member

A couple of notes

Mexico hasn't always brought their "B" team, they usually have brought their strongest teams. Even in the 2001 edition where most teams brought B squads they brought their best players. It wasn't until the 2011 edition (and this year) that CONCACAF made the "B" team rule.

I'm sure for the Mexican fans it's kind of annoying to deal with but honestly with as many of your players that are in Europe now i'm sure most of the main players wouldn't get released for this tournament anyway. It was one thing like back in the day when most of your players all played in the Mexican league.

USA was in some of the early editions but constantly turned down invitations (because of conflict with MLS season) until 2007 when they brought a "B" team to that edition. Mexico brought their A team to both that Copa and the Gold Cup (because Mexican league was out of season) so the Copa America wasn't happy about the US not bringing a competitive team so they didn't invite them for 2011.

5. ipaman

Post is very correct, source: I'm a fan.

6. SexyButIgnorant

Managed to catch a replay of the Argentina vs Paraguay game, gutsy comeback from Paraguay. Glad for Lucas Barrios, I've always been a fan of him.

Games have been somewhat disappointing so far. Chile couldn't finish their plays, Ecuador had a pretty bad showing, Mexico and Bolivia was a really bad match, Uruguay made it obvious they have a serious Suarez-dependency, Jamaica had chances but couldn't finish (but glad Giles Barnes gets to play against such competition). Argentina - Paraguay was the best match so far, with Argentina seriously under performing. Turns out amazing forwards can't easily get you through the games.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lost track of Barrios after he went to China and Russia

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/eennBWb6rYu/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Peru's defense is terrible. They're lucky they didn't lose 3-1 or 4-1.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Mexico respects the longest International competition and accepts the invitation, even in 2011 when we completely sucked and didn't win one game. :eek: At least Mexico goes.

The highest finishing CONMEBOL member (not an invitee from another confederation) goes to the Confederations Cup.

I don't think USA will ever go back now that they're making 1/2 spot for Confederations in the Gold Cup. :eek: I don't blame them.

Hoping for a fun game on Monday. I hope Chile is as good as they were in the World Cup.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is not really true imo, all relevant Euro guys from other teams are playing and there were really no issues, as the European leagues have ended weeks ago. Nearly every club let's their players go to Copa.

12. SexyButIgnorant

Great game between Chile and Mexico. I might be a bit of a homer, but I thought both goals that were made invalid of Chile's should have been legit goals. Neither Alexis or Vidal were offsides on those plays.

But props to this Mexico side, who despite being undermanned, fought well and didn't defend with everyone like Ecuador did last week. They took advantage of our bad defense, and our finishing still isn't on point. Against better teams, these mistakes are gonna cost us big time!

But I have hope still. Two goals that were incorrectly called off (although that can be argued), a bunch of shots that went centimeters wide or weren't finished properly, and stupid defensive lapses that can be fixed. Only thing that can't be fixed is our height issues, but it is what it is. Vamos Chile!!

13. ipaman

It was a great and entertaining game. But you are being a bit of a homer because you didn't mention the vidal header goal that was not called off but should have been. sanchez was off on the long pass prior to the cross. also you didn't mention the pk was very "soft." But the host team full of chile fans, it will be called 99% of the time but for sure was weak. so all in all, it's a fair result and very positive for mexico against the hosts.

14. SexyButIgnorant

Why should have Vidal's goal been called off? Didn't see anything illegal. And yeah, the Alexis goal is one where some commentators say it was a correct call and others say it wasn't. But I haven't seen anyone say Vidal's penalty was a mistake.

15. ipaman

My mistake, it was not Vidal's header from a corner. It was Vargas header goal I'm meant to say. There was a long pass to Sanchez a few passes before the cross and eventually header goal went in. On the long pass Sanchez was clearly off but they didn't call it.

Also Chile could have had 1 or 2 red cards that weren't seen. In the end, a fair result. Both teams benefited from good and bad calls.

16. ipaman

Here is the play where I confused the names. This pass led to the 2nd Chile goal from Vargas. It was right before half as well. A obvious missed call but like I said both teams benefited and suffered from several missed calls.
    [​IMG]

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Chile vs. Mexico game was fun to watch, love the way Chile play offense.

They got unlucky with a couple of offside calls, but it was a very entertaining match.

DD

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This was the toughest game for MEXICO.

We needed that to stay alive. Now the least we need to do is tie with Ecuador to go on as a best third place, or win to be second or tied with first if Bolivia and Chile tie. :cool:

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Arturo Vidal always did look like a scumbag.

20. ths balla

ths balla Member

Huge game for los cafateros tonight against Brazil, I'm thinking they sit Falcao and have Jackson Martinez start....Unfortunately Falcao has not been the same since the injury...Got a feeling they come out with some urgency and heart tonight and win, 2-1 Colombia