1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Book-Readers Thread] GOT Season Five

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by shastarocket, Apr 14, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm kind of upset that Arya will kill Trant without actually getting the order to do so. TWOW made it seem like she had become a full blown assassin and was no longer some silly little girl from Westeros. In the show, she is obviously still "Arya".

Also, what is going to be packed in the finale?
    1. Arya
    2. Walk of shame
    3. Something involving Stannis and the sacrifice
    4. Jon gets stabbed
    5. Dany in the Dothraki Sea?

That is A LOT of stuff to cover

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

In the books, Arya killed Daeron for deserting the Night's Watch. I think the show is replacing him with Trant since 1) Sam isn't on his journey yet and 2) Trant is recognizable for being on her **** list. Arya wasn't truly a faceless man in the books at that point, just like she isn't on the show.

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i'm guessing that sam and arya won't cross paths

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Arya has only killed one person so far this season, and that was a mercy kill. I think she might get a twofer here in the finale to meet her quota.

I'm curious as to whether they skip the blind phase, and go straight to Mercy.

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i dont think the blind phase translates to tv

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They also need to find a way to get Sam and Gilly out of Castle Black in time. They need a reason that can't be rushed, and without reason.

Also the Davos storyline intersecting back with Castle Black. I'm assuming he shows up right during, or right after the mutiny.

Will Davos end up being the one that saves Jon? Everyone assumes that the Red priestess is going to be the one that shows up and revives him but I just can't see at least from the shows perspective how she's going to get there in time now with Stannis about to attack Winterfell I guess.

Just sort of a fan-fantasy, but it would be nice if Davos did save him, and got him out of Castle Black. Then Davos hears what Stannis did and those two team up to go do their own thing... maybe get out of the North all together, or stay and try and reunite the Starks and their allies.

Its GOT, so that will never happen, and I'd actually be pretty surprised now if Jon Snow actually survives even though it would be dumb to kill off your most heroic character especially after he's been shown to be the one guy who has a chance to fight the White Walkers who they've constantly pushed aside for seasons at a time, and then conveniently bring back to say "oh yeah.. remember them".

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jon sending away Gilly and Sam could be done quickly and realistically early in the next episode if they want to keep the charcters.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that Davos could be the one that gets Jon out of Castle Black. This season the show has mad a habit of changing charcters books roles to give them better TV roles. Maybe after finding out what happens to Shireen, Davos becomes Jon's right hand man.

Not likely, but not impossible either. I really have no clue how this is gonna play out, but I would be shocked if Jon Snow is dead or evil.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yeah I always expected Arya to eventually go against the Faceless Man when she finally has a chance to take revenge. I kind of imagined she would get revenge of most of the names on her list and end up getting taken out by another Faceless Man.
    I really hope she kills Meryn Trant next episode cuz he is a sick puppy.

And as far as Sam and Gilly I don't think they are going anywhere. I don't think Sam is going to go to the Citadel at all to learn. I do expect Jon to get betrayed. Don't know if it will be next episode but they are certainly setting it up like that.

9. Cannonball

Seems like how they're going to end the season. Non-book readers are gonna be pissed, even if they can already see it coming. With Shireen being burned alive in Ep. 9 and Jon seemingly being killed in Ep. 10, there's going to be some more hate for GRRM killing all the good guys.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the deviations from book canon this season were a complete disaster

Sansa - I guess the showrunners thought it would be a clever trick to swap Sansa with Jeyne Poole. Problem is the book story wasn't about Jeyne Poole, that would be boring. It was about Theon trying to get free of Ramsey. A whole season of Sansa being forced to marry and suffer abuse has already been done with Joffrey. It was just an excuse for them to turn up the shock value.

Dorne - again, the showrunners thought it would be clever to swap Oakheart/Swann with Jaime/Bronn. What a joke. The point of Dorne in the books was to reveal Doran's master plan for the realm. They completely scrapped that for Jaime/Bronn's quick vacation to get Myrcella killed.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

^ Agree the Dorne saga was a waste of time. The only good of it came from the super hot Sand Snake showing her dirty pillows

I really did like the season finale for the most part tho. Walk of Shame was well done and Jon's betrayal tho a bit different was done well and still left my jaw dropped even tho I knew it was coming.

Didn't care much for Stannis' stuff and I'm thinking Brienne is gonna keep him alive anyway, but we'll see.

All I know is that b*stard GRRM better have that sixth book out before the sixth season starts.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For the most part I agree that those 2 were handled poorly, particularly Dorne, but I don't think all the deviations were terrible.

The decision to actually have Tyrion and Dany meet, putting Tyrion firmly into that plot line was a good idea. I thought the way they handled Jon Snow recruiting the wildlings was also better than it was in the books. They also greatly streamlined Cersei and all of her nonsense from AFFC.

It was hit or miss, but I think the books themselves were a noticeable step down from the first 3. IMO the show didn't have great material to work with, but they certainly could have handled some elements better.

13. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I'm almost done with the second book, then I can join you guys in your unnecessary talk on the TV show thread!

I kid, guys, I kid.

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Finally got around to finishing the season, and agree with you guys. Some deviations were good, like Jon Snow's awesome adventure to Hardhome, Daenerys and Tyrion + Jorah in the fighting pits. All the Cersei/Kingslanding scenes were done well. And I liked a lot of the season, but the last episode was pretty bad IMO.

All the scenes at Winterfell seemed rushed and not that well done, like Theon randomly getting the courage to push Ramsays side hoe off the wall (to be fair, it wouldn't have been easy to put the same character development then has into a show). Then the battle for Winterfell was just weak, and it seems like the show runners have been very unfair to Stannis with the Shireen burning and his armies getting crushed. Especially when there is not even mention of the Bolton's garnering support from other Northern lords, making that massacre even more unconceivable. Then his death bugged me, when Brienne killed Stannis in the name of the 'rightful king' Renly. No Brienne, he is not the rightful king, just because some charming gay man danced with you one time out of pity doesn't throw out all rules of succession.

The Wall scenes were great this season for the most part, just thought Jon's stabbing could have been better. IIRC, in the books it is more emotional, as some of Jon's friends and good people were crying while they did it, but they were doing a duty for the wall. Also didn't like how they threw out all of Allister Thorne's character development by having him smugly start of the assassination.

Lastly, Dorne was pretty much a mess. The sand snakes were pretty awful, in terms of character and acting. The scenes and plot lines in Dorne just seemed cheap compared to the rest of the series, almost like it was a different show. Just compare this little scene to some of Jon Snow's battle scenes.
    [​IMG]

Hope GRRM can get the next book out soon. Looks like next season will basically be all unmarked terrain if the book isn't out before (which it most likely won't be) so things could get interesting. I would much rather read how the series ends, but that could take years so I will definitely be watching the show.

15. Cannonball

I'll wait to see how GRRM has handled it in the book before I start assigning responsibility for things.

16. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I absolutely HATED the Sansa/Jeyne Poole swap. The story finally started making her interesting only to have her revert to a helpless victim again. It's so late in the series that I almost don't care what happens to her in the show. I can't imagine book Sansa being such a letdown. Total disaster in my opinion.

Dorne was a total waste of time as well. I was actually really looking forward to seeing it this season. I also didn't feel like making Ellaria replace Arianne fit her personality. Lastly, on that I actually enjoyed Jaime's chapters in the Riverlands.

Oh and I wasn't big on Stannis burning Shireen. It didn't really seem natural, even though he's done some other shady stuff. I felt like it was going to happen in the books, but it seems like it will be Melisandre's decision.

For me, this was the weakest season. The Hardhome episode and Tyrion meeting Dany were the only positives of straying from the books. I pray to all the Gods that Martin gets the sixth book out soon so the rest of the series isn't a collapse.

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

True, but the showrunners have said they dont like Stannis because they thought "Renly would have been a better king."

Also, I remember in ADWD Mel wanted him to burn some deserters or something alive during their march to Winterfell, and Stannis says cooly "pray harder. I will have no more burnings." I think Shireen may still be burned, but by Mel.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I am sure that some things that happened in the show will also happen in the book.
    And when will that man publish it??? 2017?

19. Cannonball

A lot of people who follow his progress closer than I have reason to believe it'll be out before the next season.

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

God, I hope so. We really need another book.