1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Delon Wright

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets2012, Mar 19, 2015.

1. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Delon-Wright-78507/

Projected as late first round, early second round pick, Delon Wright is a perfect fit for our NY second rounder.

Big PG with decent wingspan, Delon Wright is tremendous in both the open court and half-court finishing, dishing and drawing fouls. He also improved his outside shooting and freethrow percentage significantly this year.

He's a very good defender who can fill the statsheet across the board(very good steal/block/rebound rate for a PG).

He's going to be 23 before draft night, and that's probably why he's not as highy regarded as other younger prospects. However, His talent level and history indicates plenty of upside.

2. basketballholic

Since you're studying him closely, compare and contrast his defense to Kris Dunn. I haven't seen enough of Wright. I've been watching most of Dunn's games closely. I think he could be a stellar defender at the 1.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wright is calm on the court, and he is pretty quick, with good finishing skills. He is an ok passer, who might get better with experience. His weak 3 point shooting may drop him into the 2nd round, although I think he will be taken late in the 1st round. I think the Rockets should consider him with the Knicks pick, if he falls into the 2nd round.

4. NBAphenom

NBAphenom Member

[Video] Delon Wright 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Weaknesses

Delon Wright 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Strengths

[YOUTUBE]wRYsYIkdeZ4[/YOUTUBE]

Delon Wright 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Weaknesses

[YOUTUBE]qaAlRa0uhKk[/YOUTUBE]

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

6. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

All of his advanced stats, for whatever they're worth at the college level, show that he might/may be underrated based on where he is in the mock drafts.

[​IMG]
    upload pictures online

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hoping he slides to our second round pick. Leaning towards him over Rozier for #32.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All other play making Guards are moving up ahead of our picks it seems. This guy might be the answer. Lots to like about Wright but these stand out.

1. Big, Long
    2. Can defend multiple positions.
    3. Draws Fouls, FTs.
    4. Old, bad for most teams good for us.

His negatives, not really explosive and inconsistent shooting %'s, especially 3p%.

Overall, watch his vids, plays very very similar to Shaun Livingston. We saw how effective Shaun was leading the GSW 2nd unit but he also played PG when they moved Curry to SG. Assuming we sign Bev, you could have combinations of Bev/Harden, Bev/Wright, Wright/Harden, etc... Could also have small combinations that include any of Bev, Wright, Harden, Ariza, Brewer, Terry, KJ, etc...

Great value, impact now pick with Moreyball traits. Seems like a no brainer.

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Can we also get Dorell Wright to be out shooter off the bench?

Brother-Brother combo!

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

13. PointZero

PointZero Member

If you want to defend Curry, you draft Delon Wright. 6'5"point guard with quick feet, a long 6'7" wingspan and the best defensive guard in the Draft. Period.

The only point guard in college basketball to average over 2 steals per game and 1 block. His calling card is defense and stopping shooters on the perimeter. Possesses excellent lateral quickness as his video breakdown shows...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wRYsYIkdeZ4

Good handle, passer, rebounder and a defensive ace.

Capable scorer who shot 50.5% FG 83.5% FT 35.6% 3-PT from the field

Draft him, Rockets!

14. PointZero

PointZero Member

No other PG fills the Rockets needs like this guy does, especially defensively with his quick feet, 6'5" height, 6'7" wingspan and focus to stop people.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Your dedication is admirable i have to admit.

16. Sen89

Sen89 Member

If I had to rank the PGs (after Russell and Mudiay) for the Rockets, I'd go:

1) Cameron Payne | 6'2" 183; 6'7 wingspan | Murray State | 20
    - Lefty Jeff Teague, unfortunately his stock has shot up and is seen as a lottery pick. He has the playmaking and scoring chops + the overall court vision and dynamic ball-handling ability to really add another dimension next to Harden. Defensively he shouldn't be a liability but he won't be a difference maker either.
    2) Tyus Jones | 6'1" 185; 6'6" wingspan | Duke | 19
    - Best floor general and natural headiness of the group. Would be great at setting up the offense and has the ability to shoot off the ball next to Harden. Isn't explosive or much of a defender, but his IQ and poise would be great to have (he would work well sharing PT Bev, as well).
    3) Delon Wright | 6'5" 181; 6'8" wingpsan | Utah | 23
    - Not a ton of upside or shooting ability, but his size, IQ and defensively would make him an asset. I see him as a utility guard who projects as a fringe starter/bench guy.
    4) Terry Rozier | 6'2" 190; 6'8" wingspan | Louisville | 20
    - He definitely projects as a bench spark to me, but he knows who he is - an explosive shot-creating combo guard with great defensive potential. He's not going to run an offense or shoot at the highest clip (though UL's offense isn't conducive for efficiency), but he could fit with Harden pretty well in certain lineups.
    5) Jerian Grant | 6'4" 198; 6'8" wingspan | Notre Dame | 22
    - Not super high on Grant. Like Wright, he has size and the IQ, but he's not as strong of a defender. He's someone who does many things well but doesn't project as more than a backup to me because of his lack of a standout skill (and his age doesn't help with that).

17. basketballholic

He is a defender. But his shooting is a huge negative. If you want a defender at the point just sign Aaron Craft for the minimum. He'll be the best point defender in the NBA the minute he signs.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Dunn isn't a good defender. He has the physical skills to become a good defender.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets liked Craft entering his sophomore season. I am surprised they haven't shown further interest. Very good defensive instincts.

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We got KJ McDaniels.