1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIFA Officials Facing Federal Corruption Charges

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, May 26, 2015.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

LOL, you realize nothing. Again you know absolutely nothing about Mexican fans but act like you know everything. Many Mexican fans wants another WC here in the US because I live here and I'm not alone. Of course if you actually paid attention you would know that information since we sell out every stadium in the US when Mexico plays.

As for Blatter, I'm happy he's gone but at this point it means nothing really. Again if you guys paid attention you would know that the guy Blatter replaced was 10x worse than Blatter. The next guy, who knows.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There is a video in this link too...I dunno if this is news or already known.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...bribes-involved-in-years-of-world-cup-choices

For almost two decades top officials at soccer’s governing body took bribes and kickbacks for broadcasting rights and the selection of World Cup venues, according to former FIFA official Chuck Blazer.

At a plea hearing in a sealed courtroom in Brooklyn, New York, in 2013, Blazer said he and others on FIFA’s executive committee “agreed to accept bribes” in conjunction with the selection of South Africa for the 2010 World Cup, the most widely followed tournament in sports. According to the newly unsealed transcript of the hearing, he said the choice of the 1998 tournament also involved bribery.

Blazer pleaded guilty to 10 crimes at the hearing, with the most serious carrying a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
    “I knew that the funds involved were the proceeds of an unlawful bribe, and I and others used wires, e-mails, and telephone to effectuate payment of and conceal the nature of the bribe,” Blazer told the court, referring to money he transferred between the U.S. and the Caribbean.

Less than two years after his plea, the U.S. charged more than a dozen soccer officials and media middlemen with widespread corruption at the highest levels of the sport.

More arrests are likely as the probe widens, U.S. officials have said. Switzerland and the U.K. also started their own corruption investigations.
    U.S. officials believe one of the corruption schemes may involve an official close to FIFA president Joseph “Sepp” Blatter, according to a source familiar with the matter. Blatter said Tuesday he would resign the FIFA presidency, four days after being elected to his fifth term.

According to the indictment, an unnamed “high-ranking FIFA official” authorized a $10 million bribe to influence the selection of the host for the 2010 World Cup.

Jerome Valcke, FIFA’s secretary general and Blatter’s top lieutenant, is that official, according to the source, who asked not to be named because the information is not public.

The case is U.S. v. Blazer. 13-cr-602. U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York (Brooklyn).

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Bwaaahahaha... by the same token... why is it that USA plays ALMOST ALL their friendlies at home? Wouldn't it be fair to go play somewhere else? Nah. We'll play at home all the time. :rolleyes: We can't force Germany to play us in the U.S.! Boo-hoo! Let's get the FBI on that, too!

Y'all fools saying that Mexicans won't want a World Cup here are hallucinating. No one ever said we don't want it in the U.S. We are just saying we aren't crying like babies when we don't get into higher pots in choosing the groups or when we don't get a World Cup in our land. Get it straight. Y'all won't be "home" except in Columbus or Seattle. Those are the only places where there are probably less whiny U.S. soccer fans. :grin:

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What are you even b****ing about anymore?? That it took the USA to help you qualify for the World Cup? Or that it took the USA to bring down the corrupt SOB that was in charge of FIFA??

1 person likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's my opinion. You have yours and I have mine.

Havalenge is long gone. Just because Blatter is 10x better doesn't mean he shouldn't be investigated and replaced. Less of a crime is still a crime. I really don't know why you keep bringing that up.

The mandate for major change is there. None of us know what, if anything, will change. We all have our opinions but we don't have a clue until a new president is named.

6. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I don't know what's more troubling, his delusional state of mind or his constant use of the word y'all.

7. ipaman

This is such a joke comment it shows your bias. Comparing Qatar to Mexico LOL what a joke. Mexico has the best league in the confederation, Qatar's league is a joke. Mexico has some of the best soccer stadiums in the confederation. With only 18 teams, Liga MX league attendance ranks 4th in the world behind only Bundesliga, EPL, and La Liga. In most rankings Liga MX is top 10 league in the world and has promotion and relegation to a multi-level competitive pyramid. For a player wages, Liga MX also ranks top 10. The largest clubs in the region are Mexican. The country itself has already hosted two WCs, both very successful and which produced some all time classics.

Liga MX and Mexico NT is one of the most respected leagues and teams in the world and your comparing to Qatar. Qatar has 14 teams, half of which are "new", and only 1 division so no promotion/relegation. They pay well, if you're an aging international star, I'll give them that. Nationally they are nothing, have won nothing, no respect in the world.

Sure there are reasons Mexico shouldn't host another WC but I mean c'mon, I can't even have a real conversation with you if you have that kind of bias based on absolutely no facts.

IMHO for our region, any of Canada, US, and Mexico would be a fine host for a WC. I also think that a joint Central American bid could work but not now, maybe in 5 or 6 WC cycles optimistically. Also a USA host is really like a joint host with Mexico :p

8. leroy

June 5 - USMNT vs. The Netherlands, Amsterdam Arena

June 10 - USMNT vs Germany, RheinEnergieSTADION Cologne

What was he saying about our friendlies again? Out of our last 10, only 4 have been played in the US. And if mexico has some of the best stadiums in the confederation, why doesn't the mexican national team ever play in them for anything outside of qualifiers?

9. ipaman

I agree, Blatter is a criminal and I'm happy he's gone. I've made that very clear. My only point is the euphoria is premature given FIFA's history of replacement criminal with criminal. The culture of FIFA is such that I have very low expectations for major changes and I'm not just being pessimistic, I have history on my side. I can remember when World Football was Euro-centric and the rest of the world really struggled for any attention. Blatter was one of those guys who fought that. With all of the noise lately out of UEFA it appears Europe is trying to wrestle control back again. Blatter's a criminal but he did some good things including standing up to UEFA and including the rest of the world. All that said, I hope I'm wrong and FIFA can change for the good of the game for everyone not just Europe.

10. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

You do know there is more to hosting a WC other than stadium, league status and soccer history. Just ask Qatar.
    Since you didn't want to name the reasons why Mexico shouldn't host another WC maybe I can help by stating the most obvious reason. Mexico is still very dangerous and corrupt. In 2014 Mexico was ranked 5th most dangerous country in Latin America. http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaestevez/2014/03/26/mexico-is-the-fifth-most-dangerous-country-in-latin-america-for-business-says-fti-consulting/
    Security is going to be a big factor for this biggest sporting event in the world and as much as it looks like I'm bashing Mexico this is a very valid concern.

11. ipaman

Why would I ask Qatar?!?! They didn't "win" a WC bid, they bought it. Qatar didn't win or lose the bid on any merit at all. That's a terrible example. Unless you are you suggesting bribes are good? I thought you were against FIFA corruption.

With regard to your point about Mexico security as a concern, based on facts it hasn't been a problem in the past. Mexico as recently as 2014 hosted Central and Caribbean Games, in 2011 hosted a FIFA U17 WC (which they won) and also the 2011 Pan American games. They've also recently hosted several FIBA tournaments. They've also hosted a FIFA Confeds Cup and several Gold Cups in the recent past. All of that when security was actually worse, since the last few years it's actually improved. So facts would disagree with you again and I don't applaud your effort. Very lazy points.

btw..., you know who currently ranks much higher on the danger scale than Mexico. The world's very own 2018 WC host Russia. I guess you won't be attending.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't feel like Mexico is any more or less dangerous than Brazil, South Africa or Russia. They have a very capable military that would ensure security, one way or the other, during the World Cup.

13. leroy

The major difference is, thought, that Blatter took over simply because Havalenge retired. There was no major push for reform and no worldwide investigation into the inner dealings of FIFA. This is a completely different situation. This time the world is watching.

14. SwoLy-D

He was talking about the next 21 for Mexico and you're talking about the previous 10. Way to change the subject... we're talking FUTURE games. Only two away... yeah, that's fair... NOT. We just come back and pick up U.S. dollars AND we will be home with a home crowd... I won't deny it. :p

LOLs! Sure. Haha. You wouldn't last a minute if there was some crap breaking out on the streets of Monterrey, where there will be at least two games, or in Torreon, where there was a shooting during a game a while ago, güero. :grin: Green Go. You wouldn't blend in!

Go back and read the first 2018 and 2022 World Cup short threads. See what I said in there. US might deserve it more than Mexico and that's not bad at all.

15. ipaman

Swoly, step away from the keyboard dude. You've gone full trolltard and are just derailing a good thread.

16. SwoLy-D

It's fun hearing them saying they're willing to travel to Mexico... :grin: and it's "less dangerous"... LOLs. Aren't you laughing at that? I am. Haha.

I digress. USA will still try to battle Qatar for the "bought" Cup. If they win it, so what...? :eek:

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Swoly is on the way to getting himself banned completely. Bit of a shame, really.

18. ipaman

Just like Brazil, if Mexico had the WC I think most WC tix bought would be from the USA again. Many Americans would buy tix and attend, many of which who do not support US NT and some who do. It would be very well attended.

That would be awesome!!! For sure Jerry World would get a group or two, maybe even Mexico's group!!! I was too young in '94 :( What I wouldn't give for a WC in my back yard. I would be broke but in heaven LOL!!!

19. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Mexico hosted the Confederations cup in 1999 (16 years ago) and co-hosted
    the Gold cup in 2003 with the USA (12 years ago). I guess recent the past includes everything within the last 20 years? Also the Confederations Cup was in only 2 cities and the Gold Cup in 2003 was limited to Azteca as well.
    So I guess if we're talking about Mexico hosting a WC, you really mean just Mexico DF and Guadalajara.

You're the one who brought up the argument that there are reasons Mexico shouldn't host the WC yet you won't name any.

Not neglecting the fact that Brasil, South Africa and Russia have high crime rates, I had no idea they all had an ongoing drug war as well.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even when I try to say something complimentary about Mexico and their ability to handle large-scale, international events, you go and take the low road. Why call me güero and gringo? Do you know my race? You know nothing about me, dude.

You're really melting down. I know you earned those smiley emoticons battling through "The *****" in Monterrey, but you don't have to wave them in our faces, man.