1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if? Miami Big 3 plus Kevin Garnett; a Phoenix Sun?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jun 1, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Before heading down this path, though, here are a handful of interesting basketball things you may not have known, according to sources who do know:

▪ It was LeBron James, not Wade, who first made real the possible paradigm shift with three superstars playing together in Miami. James broached the subject during free agency in 2010, at a secret meeting he called in Cleveland with Bosh and Wade. To that point, Wade had been relaying to Heat management that there was no way James would go for the idea of playing in Miami.

It was Wade, not James, who by himself kept Udonis Haslem in Miami. Wade went to James with the idea of taking less money to include Haslem. James refused. The Heat couldn’t figure out a way to make a competitive offer to Haslem within salary-cap constraints until Wade volunteered to take that salary hit alone. It is why Wade was paid millions less than Bosh and James — one of the sacrifices Wade would make on behalf of team that he evidently would now like reimbursed.

Miami’s Big 3 would have never gotten together if Pat Riley had originally gotten what he wanted. Riley was busy offering millions in 2009 to Lamar Odom, fresh off a championship in Los Angeles. Odom was having something close to a nervous breakdown trying to decide between the Lakers and Heat, but eventually settled on L.A. before marrying a Kardashian and spiraling into addiction. If Riley had closed Odom — and Odom couldn’t be reached for days at deciding time — Miami never would have had the money to pay James, Wade and Bosh.

Miami’s Big 3 would have never gotten together if Shawn Marion, of all people, had gotten what he wanted. Marion was so stubborn about wanting a max contract back in 2007 that his insistence helped blow up a three-team deal that could have sent Kevin Garnett from Minnesota to Phoenix. That deal would have prevented Garnett from ever teaming up with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to win a championship in Boston. But Marion wouldn't re-sign with a trading team that wasn't offering the max, so he was instead sent to Miami for a disgruntled Shaquille O’Neal. Miami offered Marion a four-year contract that would have also kept Miami’s Big 3 from uniting, but not at the max. So Marion asked to be traded … and had to settle in Dallas for a five-year, $39 million deal that was far less than the max.

The point of all this is that big plans in sports — the kind Miami is presently trying to make with Wade for 2016 and beyond, the kind Miami needs Wade’s help to make and the kind that can ultimately help Wade, too — can take unexpected detours with good and bad luck, and with greed and ego always playing defense against sacrifice. “Team” is not something you only find on the court with winners these days; it is management and players working together to creatively extract themselves from the salary cap’s shackles. Dirk Nowitzki and Tim Duncan and Wade have played at discounts so the team could have more, but Wade is the only one of the three to do that while in his prime.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/dan-le-batard/article22776375.html

2. underrated015

underrated015 Member

a good thing that wade took a paycut for titles but its a business. They just gave Bosh a huge max and Dwade is not what he used to be.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lamar Odom?

This is why luck is a huge part of the business. Riley and Morey pray to the same God.

4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

How true the article is. We could have gasol and nene.

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Pay cuts for the team? I'm looking at you Dwight.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dwight is not looking back at you.

1 person likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean he is a younger star but Harden should take leadership and take a reduction of his pay.....if he is serious about winning it all

Dwight has done a lot on D and is trying on O... Harden takes more possessions off on D

8. krouchchocolate

wth your asking harden to take a reduction in pay when he was the runner up MVP?

9. MistaK

MistaK Member

Last time I checked, Harden earns 7-8 million less per year than Dwight.
    Harden was in the running for MVP, with a historically good season. Harden played 81 games this season, Dwight only 41- some of those even on a minutes restrictions. Oh yeah and Harden had to give a tremendous effort on O to carry this team and is trying on D. And maybe most importantly (and you said it), Harden is still young - he still has room to grow as a player - Dwight, doesn't.

I'm not knocking Dwight, as I think he is still a very good player. Just trying to put your statement ''Harden should take leadership and take a reduction of his pay.....if he is serious about winning it all'' into persepective.

Also note that Harden was traded here and signed his first big contract. When Harden got here we had nobody. Howard has been in the league for years and decided to join Harden when he saw this team's potential...so if anyone should and could have sacrificed for the team (remember Harden was already under contract) it was Howard.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not right now but one day

11. nemac

nemac Member

Yea but Dwight is the defensive anchor didn't you watch the playoffs? But Harden's offense and defensive holes can be replaced at a lower rate which is why he should take the discount for the team like Wade did

12. MistaK

MistaK Member

Ummm, yeah I watched the playoffs. Sure, Dwight is the defensive anchor - that's what you want your center to be. Harden is the ENTIRE offense.

Really don't think that Harden's output is more easily replaced. Find me guys (even multiple guys) that do what Harden does at 15 mil. per. You won't find anyone.

Easier to find a defensive minded big who will do nothing but dirty work on the offensive end (putbacks, finish the PnR, rebound, block) at less than 22 mil per.

Thats all I'm saying. Again I'm happy with both players on this team. I was just talking about the initial statement I quoted and how wrong it is.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL at stupid people here thinking someone can be the entire offense plus defensive anchor of a team...

14. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Hakeem did it.

15. nemac

nemac Member

Gimmie Lowry and Korver! Ah, alright I was being sarcastic but didn't work. No, I think Harden is worth much more than Howard.

16. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

NO offense, but that's garbage. Harden is already underpaid, and you want him to make even less?

I think you should go to your employer and tell him "hey boss, i want to restructure my salary so that you can bring in a stud of an employee, just like me". I'm going to go ahead and say that you're definitely not going to be doing that.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Look guys I brought up Dwight not because he makes more or is the lesser player. I brought him up because he's literally the only one who could make a big 3+haslem type team happen.

If we are to ever have a genuine because big 3 it will occur next offseason. Whether it could theoretically be durant or whoever, dwight can opt out and likely will.

Now im not even saying take a serious pay cut because the jump in cap and morey will likely be able have the space needed to sign Durant/whoever out right including dwights massive cap hit.

What im saying is if he were to take a few million less or even stay at his current rate it would save us bunches because of what he is with in the new cba.

He could take a deal starting at 18-22 mill and still save us 4-8million where he will be eligible for something staying around 25-28mill (or more because Idk the numbers, im not BimaThug, this is all guesswork).

That slight pay cut could be the difference between keeping an ariza and/or dmo. Thats what wade did to keep haslem, so dwight could do it to keep a quality starter/role player.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Who all on here would take a paycut for the betterment of the company they work for?

1 person likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For people with a large stake in the company, it's probably a bit more common than you'd think. For Joe 9-5 who just does his job and gets a salary and benefits, not so much.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

awesome idea! lets trade harden for hakeem :rolleyes: