1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If YOU were JAMES HARDEN - SUPERSTAR LIFE or CHAMPIONSHIPS?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, May 31, 2015.

?

IF I'm James Harden...

1. I'm livin La Vida Loca, Baby! I got max money and x # of years to spend it!

45.7%
  2. I'm devoting the next 6-10 years of my life to THE RING!

54.3%
  1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

This is NOT intended as a rag on Harden thread... I was as pissed as anybody watching Harden turn into a turnover machine in our last game. There have been numerous threads and conjecture about Hardens' partying... I've also seen numerous posts about how Harden is 25, young, a superstar talent and how further intensity, focus, desire or whatever will come in time/age... got me thinking about the superstar lifestyle in general...

Given his talent, I have no doubt Harden could become a player that could be in the future conversations with MJ and Kobe... Question is, how much does he even care about something like that?

I mean, let's be real... Harden likes living the superstar lifestyle - hanging with Drake, big booty strippers, and all the glam that comes with being a superstar. He can live that life AND still be in the running for MVP... The guy can continue to have a good time AND spend x number of years pulling in more money annually than most of us will ever see in a lifetime... he's set..

OR he could raise his intensity and focus, cutback the partying, live life with a devotion to the game and the intensity of MJ or Kobe and leave a greater legacy... and he's still set..

So given the choice of:
    PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAR AND BE RICH AS HELL!
    or
    WORK HARDER, WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS AND BE RICH AS HELL!

If U were James... which would YOU do?

Honestly, I can't say I'd buckle down to win championships... I mean life is short, right? If I've pretty much reached one of the pinnacles of existence and can enjoy ALL the indulgences and still command max money - where's my incentive? I mean winning championships would be phenomenal, but even if you buckle down, there's still a chance you come out the other side of 10 years broken with no ring like a Barkley or Reggie Miller... Carpe Diem right? seize the day! Live each day as it was your last... and all that rhetoric...

Most guys gotta stay focused to try and command bigger contracts because they have x # of years to maximize their earning potential... but if you're James Harden - either way, you are set for life if you manage your money right....

So as I said, this isn't necessarily about James Harden 'getting his priorities inline' or maturing or whatever, but more of a question of should he? would you given his options?

Just something to have fun with if inclned...

2. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

Tiger Woods was completely dominant in his sport for a decade and did so while basically living a second life.

Michael Jordan had a borderline gambling problem and, well, we all know what he did.

I don't think it's as simple of a question as you present it.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Life is short - I can't hate on a guy for wanting to live how he wants.

But as a fan of course I prefer players who are all-in for the ring.

I think James is focused on a ring. He'll continue to mature as he goes.

4. kjayp

I think you can still devote yourself to the sport - and carve out a little something something for yourself along the way... I'm sure Mj, Kobe, Tiger.. all had their indulgences - but probably more in a methodical fashion than a partying style... if that makes sense....

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

I don't like parties and fake ass people, I would dedicate my life to winning championships.

6. kjayp

Thing is... is it even about maturity? I mean if you show up and do your job to the best of our ability... Is what you do in your off hours a matter of maturity? Does it become more about the math of existence... You're rich - and realistically you got MAYBE 40-50 years to enjoy it... are you gonna limit that for 20 or 25% in pursuit of a ring?

7. xaos

xaos Member

I don't think Kobe belongs in the same conversation as Jordan, so how could Harden be in the same conversation as Kobe and Jordan?

*watches the thread derail*

**just kidding. don't let it derail.

***butforeal, i make a valid point

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

9. kjayp

Both a couple guys that worked harder than most and brought an intensity and desire that was always evident - and won a buttload of rings....

both also had their indulgences... but it typically wasn't out in the clubs makin it rain... lol

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

You don't need party like hell to be happy. Most of us did that in school and college, but rarely when we got a job after graduation, right? Because at some point, you have to grow up and set your life properly.

11. kjayp

but how much of that change was out of necessity rather than desire? Normal people don't have guaranteed contracts... Is anyone gonna step at James if he shows up hungover to a practice (insert Allen Iverson - "we're talking practice" diatribe...lol) - would your boss step at you if you were hungover - lol!

Some guys lose focus due to family, trying to be a movie star or recording star or whatever else.... I'm sure the vast majority of people showup and do their job just fine - but rarely does someone devote themself to their job to level that we as fans would expect of Harden...

12. Mr Chuck Norris

I swear people here think these players are robots. He's 25, no kids, no wife, and is becoming a global icon because of his hard work. You don't get to be as good as harden is without hard work.

Does everyone really think harden doesn't work on his game in his downtime? Was mad when Harden was in the Drew league? Do people really think Harden doesn't want to win?

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

i would be clubbin 24-7. Unfortunately, the dad life chose me

14. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

I'm sure all these players lived the "superstar" lifestyle. Only difference is that SOCIAL MEDIA can capture a lot of the events.

15. RockStrosTex

RockStrosTex Member

Seriously! Every time he has bad game, people think he's just out clubbing and spending money on strippers lol.

16. ibm

ibm Member

what kind of thread/question is this...

first of all, why championship and high life style (whatever it may be) cannot co-exist? any logic?

second, kobe is no mj. there's only one mj.

third, harden will never reach kobe's height. and this is not even an attempt of any insult to harden. some of you guys are talking like you've never seen an elite nba player before.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

#2 in MVP

I think he knows what he's doing

18. kjayp

Oh there's no doubt James works his butt off.... ANY nba players has or does - even a Pig Miller or Tractor Traylor... guys that get made fun of prob work harder than most average people... question is - to what degree? I mean, I would figure a Kobe or a Jordan to be fanatical - which I'm sure harden is - but to what degree?

I mean only eating certain things and body is a temple kinda thing if you're an athlete - so would you never eat a burger?

And I don't doubt Harden wants to win - anybody would - but to what level are you willing to abstain from negative aspects?

#18 kjayp, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
  19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

So your saying harden is not elite? Dude just put up 27 7 and 6 on 60% ts something Kobe and Mj never did. I know your a documented closet harden hater but get real dude.

20. kjayp

just playin the odds... higher your level of devotion = better odds at success...

Hey the team played a great year. Harden had a phenomenal overall year. Add a couple pieces we may win a championship with James enjoying himself to the fullest....