1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Major Changes Needed This Off Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, May 27, 2015.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Unfair.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Everyone here is looking for a grand slam, and all I think the Rockets need is a double. Get a PG that isn't 37 years old (or a rook), send TJones either to confidence school or back to Portland for assets, renew your commitment to defense. That's it. LMA or Love would be awesome, but come on.

3. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Yeah, but is a rookie PG that falls to the 18th pick really going to be much of an upgrade for next season? I think we definitely need to upgrade the PG position, but the Rockets would have to get amazingly lucky to draft one good enough to be considered an upgrade, therefore I think it will have to be via free agency or trade... or possibly bring over Lull, if feasible.

Llull?/Bev/Johnson
    Harden/KJ/Terry
    Ariza/Brewer
    DMo/Smith
    Howard/Capella

4. Centerville

Centerville Member

I agree with this, but I also hope that Dmo and Capela will take a step forward. I'm sure the front office does as well. If we're healthy and those guys develop, I don't know why anyone would assume this team can't win a WCF.

Do you need some luck? Yeah, probably. But, you know, sometimes Seattle loses in the first round to the Nuggets and Lakers. I've seen it happen...

Then, of course, when we did blow up the team to land a third superstar who could help us beat Seattle, we lost in the WCF to the Jazz instead.

There's a fine line between pretending and contending, but making the WCF puts you at that line. A couple tweaks and a little luck might put you across it while trades for "missing pieces" don't.

5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Sign Tim as head coach, get Butler to come over as well. Sign llull. Let the kids play.

6. butterball

butterball Member

Convince Llull to come over and keep DMo and Patbev healthy. If we keep the core together and healthy, The Finals are within reach.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Capela will improve beyond Jordan

1. Decrease Turnovers
    2. REBOUND DAMMIT!!

Rocket River

8. craguin

craguin Member

Rodney Stuckey, anyone?

Unrestricted / Shooting Guard / 6-5 / Team: Indiana 12.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.1 apg
    2014/15 Earnings: $1,227,985

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pDycIdItbCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. hakeemthagreat

13 turnovers with only 12 shots is also not fair

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Sheeesh ... one subpar game. Can you at least average games 4 and 5?

11. basketballholic

If Rodney Stuckey can be signed for the minimum, that would be a great signing?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A PF that can play defense and rebound would be nice.

A PG that is under the age of 38 would be nice too.

13. Ranny

Ranny Member

Oh boy, I cant tell that i will regret this but i will go along. Ok Harden sucks, he has no heart and no brains, i assume that he needs to go then....

You Jake Tower have just been appointed the new Rockets GM, what would you do with the brainless, heartless fake superstar Harden? What would you about the rest of the team that made the WCF against all odds and lost against one of the best teams in recent NBA history?......... Pathetic Rockets!!! We need you Mr. Tower to lead us to greatness.. tell us what do we do!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

14. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Can you imagine if we only had one shooter like Klay / Curry / Barnes and a hard worker like Green, our team is so inconsistent that I don't mind if we only see Harden, Howard, Ariza, D-Mo & Capela return.

15. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

We don't need to do too much if this is the team that nearly got us to the finals. Just a few tweaks and we're golden. If we had Beverley and D-Mo healthy I'm sure we would've competed better vs. GS and may have had an easier time vs. The Clippers. If one of the big PG acquisitions like Lowry or Lawson don't work out--

Bring back Aaron Brooks. He's familiar with the system, can create his own shot, loved by the Houston fans and is an great 3 shooting PG. Beverley can make up for his defensive lapses. He was a good backup for Beverley when he was here last.

Jones has gotta go. I love him but he's undersized and D-Mo is clearly more valued. With Smith and Dmo, he's the odd man out.

I can roll with this:

Beverley/Brooks/Nick J
    Harden/Terry/KJ
    Ariza/Brewer/Papa
    DMo/Smith/PF Draft Rook
    Howard/Capela/Dorsey

16. alethios

alethios Member

So much this! Our problem is not talent - it's discipline and intelligence and working together as a cohesive unit (something akin to the Spurs).

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Get a PG who can shoot and defend to start. Stay healthy. I know we won't keep all our guys if we go after a PG but since we are not down that path yet let's see what we have

Competent non-37 year old PG/Beverley
    Harden/Brewer/Ariza
    Ariza/Brewer
    Dmo/Smith/Jones
    Dwight/Capela

I like that team in seven games against any team in the league.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, and he can hit FTs - or looks like he can....

Capela has massive upside, and is probably our starting center when Dwight leaves.

I would like to see DMo and Capela stay and grow together, they are both very smart and active players.

DD

19. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

I like the new coach idea. Two rookie coaches in the nba finals. The next Phil Jackson is out there.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

After looking through the free agent list, I am inclined to definitely let Brewer test the market and I'm offering J.Smith nothing more than the 120% of previous salary that we can give him without eating up our MLE. Sign Beverly at $3-4 mil per year and bring in competition there via draft or a veteran signing.

Assuming we operate over the cap, here are some MLE options I am intrigued by:

Gerald Green
    Marco Bellinelli
    Danny Green
    Louis Williams
    Mike Dunleavy

And depending on how things shake out with us and them on the market, a couple of former Rockets that I could see being in the mix late in free agency to shore up depth:

Luis Scola
    Jeremy Lin