1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you Coach Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BossHogg713, May 27, 2015.

1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

So basically we do hear Jackson and Gundy complain about Harden not being aggressive enough etc.

Game 5 showed a lot of frustration from the commentating side and these are 2 former head coaches.

My question is what is really said to him during the timeouts? Halftime? Do they let him know he needs to be aggressive... or is it mentally he fades away from the game-plan?

I don't blame all those turnovers on him, I think with a PG everything would be diff. I just wonder what do you tell someone who is mentally out of a game half way thru and you need to revive them back in? I feel McHale def is more player friendly. I imagine Bickerstaff doing most of the yapping.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's 25. He's gotten better every offseason. This offseason I'm sure he will work hard on his game

3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I like most of your posts but I don't buy that one bit. Harden has been in these situations more than a lot of players. How many years of learning does he have left?

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How many years of learning does he have left? You're not serious? NBA players are always learning.. Basketball is a pretty nuanced game.

1 person likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Member

However he is being coached now.

I'll take this season and playoffs output 10 out of 10 times.

6. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

What dont you buy...reebok was spot on, he has improved significantly every offseason , all he needs to learn to do is fightback.
    Even when your having a bad game realize you ARE the superstar and keep demanding the ball. Its very tough for a player especially against the best defensive league in the league to go off every game because they will keep on making adjustments.
    We need to help him more on Offense instead of just expecting him to create everything single handily . He will be better but we need and offensive coach to make things easier for him also

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Well it helps to integrate him into a legit offensive scheme instead of the offense being to "give him the ball and pray".

It starts with Dwight and Harden getting along on the court and developing legit chemistry. If we can get a 3rd star that can actually shoot from the outside, it will be much easier for Harden to get compatible with him

1 person likes this.
  8. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Hire Ronda Rousey, if anything she'd at least make a better cheerleader than McHale. Who knows, she might even be capable of drawing up a play in half-court.

9. SemisolidSnake

No idea. I'm not a coach. I have been saying, though, that the Rockets need to hire an elite coach for their guards, which includes Harden. We have no usable point guards, and Harden doesn't know what role he's supposed to be playing every night (in large part due to the fault of his teammates not showing up, but not always). Beverley probably could be turned into an offensive point guard to go with his defense, but he has no one to teach him.

These guys need serious coaching at every position. There's probably no sport that changes so much from college to pro than basketball; it's like you're starting from scratch. They need veteran coaches to teach them in detail how to play the pro game; it should never be assumed that they're just naturally good or that they'll learn on their own. Too often, though, I think that's exactly what the assumption is.

10. yo

yo Member

The thing is, Harden doesn't have a lot of to work on in terms of his game. Maybe still needs to depend on his scoring ability instead of trying to draw the foul, but his skills are elite.

But the problem is his psyche, and that's what is a little disturbing. This is the third playoffs in a row where he has faded at times and that is major cause for concern. I think this is the third time I've posted this, but Harden still has a lot of questions to answer.

1 person likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

McHale is a terrible coach for him.

DD

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Harden needs a real coach and a therapist.

13. i3artow i3aller

We need a legit PG to make our MVP's life easier.

14. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

You gotta let him grow. Michael Jordan made a lot of mistakes early in his career.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He don't need coaching. He needs better coach and someone that can play PG creator role would do wonder.

16. egr281

egr281 Member

He needs to learn how to put his stamp on a game when his offense isnt clicking. Off-ball movement and getting back on D every play. Its hard if you're Mchale because Harden has to have the ball in his hands to be great, but we have to find a way to get him into situations where the only time he touches the ball is while shooting off a pass.

17. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Jordan faced the "Jordan Rules" Bad Boys Pistons and Larry Legend Celtics early in his career and he never had a r****d game like this.

18. egr281

egr281 Member

The point is MJ had his failures early on and grew from it, Harden can do this as well he just has to decide if hes happy with being where he is now or if he wants to be all time great.

19. Clown Baby

Clown Baby Member

Harden has built a tremendous offensive foundation based on the Morey Principles, penetration to draw fouls and high volume/efficient 3pt shooting.

Now he has to diversify his game by becoming a consistent mid-range threat. He's a 85-90% foul shooter with a great handle, he should be death in the mid-range.

His Game 2 performance where he drilled countless mid-range money shots needs to be watched over and over again. He has all the tools necessary to own that mid-range spot.

Before this season I thought Harden was closer to Melo-level than Dirk-level... he proved me wrong this year. He's far closer to Dirk-level, and just like Dirk he will need to complete his offensive repertoire in order to hit that Championship level.

Awful way for him to end such a brilliant season. But this should definitely keep him hungry and hustling to become better. A shame so many dumb fans on this board hate on him so much, the guy is a special player and I'm glad that he's on our side.

Getting him a PG would go a looong way in helping him realize his true offensive potential. Do it Morey.

20. solid

solid Member

A serious talk about his personal life is in order. I would like to take a long look at his physical conditioning and game preparation program. Stevie Franchise ruined his career with chemical abuse.