1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What I think our biggest weakness this series is so far - Inbounds Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jiramisu, May 22, 2015.

1. Jiramisu

Jiramisu Member

I don't start threads often (I'm not sure I ever have here), but I want to talk about something I don't see discussed very often - our inbounds defense.

I can remember at least 4-5 individual times EACH game where the Warriors scored immediately off the inbounds pass, usually a point blank layup with little to no resistance. Most of these are inbounds passes from the baseline or the corner of the court.

To me, this has been our most commonly exploited aspect throughout the two games. Yes, we make plenty of other mistakes, but none as consistently repeatable as this imo.

My questions to you guys are:
    1) Have we always been this bad at inbounds defense? I don't recall other series or even in the regular season being this bad at it. If not, then what's happened?

2) What do we do to improve it? Very rarely do I see teams doing this poorly on inbounds defense. Is it player lapses, poor coaching, perfect execution by GSW? I don't think it's the latter because I don't remember seeing Memphis getting smoked so consistently on inbounds plays.

And before it gets beat to death, yes GSW has set plenty of moving screens, but I honestly didn't see those as the problems for these plays. Some, maybe, but I don't think that's the heart of the problem.

Forgive me for the lack of videos, was too lazy to find them plus I'm still at work.

2. OpenLayup-Why3?

Teams will score one way or another. You can't take everything away from a NBA team.

3. Jiramisu

Jiramisu Member

Obviously, but I do feel like inbounds plays where the inbounding team scores within 1-2 seconds right under the goal IS something any opposing team in the NBA should be able to take away.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

The warrior's FT defense is holding us down too.

5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

this and when bogut gets the ball in the post we need to watch out for his passes to cutters... not sure how they keep catching us off guard on these plays, but they are the momentum killer plays that hurt down the stretch