1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden has 14 assisted field goals in 9 postseason games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, May 11, 2015.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201935/stats/shooting/?Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Playoffs

Before you'll start another portion of "Harden should step up" posts, take a look on the number of his field goals made being assisted throughout the first nine games of this years playoffs

One layup being assisted
    One dunk being assisted
    No driving dunks being assisted
    No driving layups being assisted
    No floaters being assisted
    No fingerrolls being assisted
    One pull-up jump shot being assisted

How could any player just possibly step up in 5-on-5 tightly contested playoff game, if you are creating nothing for him as a team / not using him enough off the ball to make his life easier?

It's amazing how he's shooting 46% from the field and 41.4% from 3pt-range with that kind of playmaking skills outside of him. We did know that we had issues, but in the regular season he has less then 3/4 of his shots being unassisted.

It's almost 80% now.

2 people like this.
  2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Things that make say: "Hmmmmm"

3. ibm

ibm Member

does stats of any sort mean anything now?

4. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Draymond Green only assisted on 14 Steph Curry field goals in just 7 GSW games, despite the fact that Curry is struggling badly with his shot throughout the most of the postseason

5. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I don't know if we need another wing scorer or playmaker (more)... Dragic would have been nice. This team as currently constructed does not have the ability to take any pressure off harden offensively.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

one of hardens biggest strengths has been negated. getting to the FT line. you can tell by his play he is reluctant to drive to the basket now. his aggressiveness has been turned off.

7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This indicates a ****ty offense. If your sets don't get your best players easy assisted buckets more frequently than this, then your offense sucks.

1 person likes this.
  8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

There is a reason that he was no.3 on OKC.

9. hoopball

hoopball Member

This is what I'm talking about. As much as Harden has been struggling against the Clippers, it's not 'entirely' his fault. Sure, some of it is but we have no system whatsoever when it comes to our offense and defense. We are just playing "give the ball to harden and let's see how things unravel" street ball against professional NBA teams. No wonder we are getting our ass kicked. It is the coaching staff's job to make sure the ball always moves and get our big men to set screens and so forth. Just look at the Spurs, Hawks, Warriors game and you'll instantly notice they play way more organically then we do. We are just too stagnant on both ends of the floor.

10. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Harden needs help, no doubt about it. Brewer is the only other person on the team that can create his own shot and that's somewhat of a stretch. I don't get blaming Harden at all.

11. CertifiedTroll

Harden's assists would be through the roof if players were hitting the easy shots he sets up for them. I don't think Harden has let me down. He is just getting doubled and passing it to the open man. Because no one on our team other than Harden is an offensive threat, they can just continue to double him on the P&R.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Harden needs help on offense, for sure. We all knew that but that's an interesting number, OP. Thanks for sharing.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do we have any plays where we screen for Harden or is everything just give the ball to Harden and have him figure something out?

14. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Harden is getting more blame than he should. Its unfair but that's how it is in life. The leader gets all the blame for failure and the glory for success. He definitely needs relief on offense. However, there is no excuse for making Austin Rivers look like MJ. He's giving up a ton of points on defense every night.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice job, OP. The stat's a bit disturbing.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Last year Harden embarrassed me with his effort against Portland.

This year I've been fine with him although his recent defense on Rivers is starting to irk me but I think that's just not in his wheelhouse, his effort on Griffin & a slowed down Paul indicates that.

He's overextended (leading to turnovers). You're telling me in 12+ games of this same exact song and dance versus the Clippers that Kevin McHale's staff still cant find a way to get the ball in Harden's hands from off-the-ball? Are you kidding me?

He gets ZERO help and it's embarrassing. He isn't a point guard. He's still playing efficiently despite no help, that's amazing to me. I cant imagine what he might do with a better coach and a secondary playmaker. Give him some help already, Jesus.

Yeah, Jordan has an impact on him, that's obvious. God forbid Harden has a weakness when one of the best defenders in basketball is waiting for him in the paint... it happens, regardless of how good you are. Here's a novel idea -- FIND A ****ING WAY TO COUNTER.

A real coach and secondary playmaker would also be able to get Howard more open looks and space the floor for our shooters. We're making things so hard on ourselves.

And with all that said... it's the defense that's our biggest problem right. Man, what a disaster.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

finally people can stop believing this and they need to. this was always a luxury, the fact that he is a capable playmaker but he cannot be a full time pg bc he isn't and never was.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Our offense needs to be overhauled in the offseason. We focused on improving the defense this year. Fine, it improved a bit, particularly the half-court defense. But the terrible offense -- sloppy passes, predictable attacks, scratch-your-head shot selection -- just offsets all of that.

We need a PG who can run an offense and is a threat to score himself. Someone who makes Harden's job easier on the offensive end.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He's not even shooting the ball much. How can you get assists? He's taking like 14 shots v. the Clips a game.

20. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

This.

Our group of guys are incredibly talented but we need them to start moving around and setting screens everywhere.

The reason Blake and Deandre get so many dunks is because Chris Paul is constantly having people screened and switched and when the moment is right one person rolls to the basket for the easiest points known in basketball.

Dwight Howard could easily have 4-5 dunks in a game MINIMUM. all you need is for guys to switch and force DeAndre on a guard like Harden (otherwise fear his 3 pointer) and if DeAndre does in fact switch....lob it up to Howard