1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey Built This Team - It's On Him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, May 9, 2015.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

Our analytical genius has yet to figure out that the three key components to championship basketball is: Defense, Free Throw Shooting, and High Basketball IQ. Teams that lack the overall talent of their opponent desperately need to rely on those three components to be competitive and we are miserably failing in all three areas. Morey checked in our season at the trade deadline when he acquired nobody to help take us to the next level. Per Cyberx, he was offered Isiah Thomas for scraps and turned it down. He is definitely a "fun" GM to have, but you have to wonder how an analytical guru can not see the statistical significance of a free throw.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Actually the #1 ability is availability, i'd be curious if you can find a team in nba history whose 3rd and 4th highest minutes players were out for the season, won an nba title.

1 person likes this.
  3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Not his fault that Bosh didn't want to sign here.
    Not his fault that Dragic wouldn't sign long-term here.

It's still a work in progress with an eye towards the Summer of 2016.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

And then in 2016, it will be about focusing on 2018 when wiggins will be an fa. Its been the same song and dance. Every years about waiting for some magical free agency market two years away. We get rid off all our good players to position ourselves to get those coveted fas and then when we so get them, we have zero depth to surround them. Then the new narrative will be about how we need to focus on another fa class down the line.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

All those great role players couldn't get us into the playoffs.

We had to get Harden and Howard to do that. Who knew that those 2 are still not enough to turn us into contenders?

That's why we will go for another superstar. For those playoff runs when Harden gets shut down.

6. Breaker

Breaker Member

Rick Smith is a much better GM

2 playoffs win, and actually being able to compete in the 2nd round of one of them

lol Morey not coming close

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What was the deal on the table for Isiah Thomas?

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's hilarious how you've continued to crap on Morey through the years, even though you're pretty much ALWAYS wrong. I guess I admire the consistency.

Unlike you people, I'm happy our team isn't built around Scola, Kevin Martin, Lowry & Chuck Hayes.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, Chuck Hayes starting.... God don't remind me...

10. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

I am sure he did not expect Domo to be out of the season.

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

"Both of those guys are very enthusiastic about where we are right now. We know we need to be a top 10 defense to be a championship level team. That was one other issue...we felt like to get to be a top 10 defense, we needed a wing defender. Now three of our top five guys are top defenders in the league, that'll give us a chance. I'm in conversations with James Harden and Dwight Howard all the time. They're very enthusiastic about where we are."
    http://www.houstonpress.com/news/ro...offs-we-will-be-better-than-last-year-6719494

He knows what we need to be a Championship contender but people here think it is easy adding missing pieces to a team. the fact is, every team looks for that missing piece and you have to be very lucky to find it. Some fans here really don't know the ins and outs of signing players, it is a lot harder than on video games

1 person likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think that Morey bought good Groceries
    Beginning to think that McHale is burning them
    Or allowing them to spoil on the vine.

I have faith in the team and McHale but that 18-0 run hurt.

Rocket River

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey survived JVG, Adelman and likely McHale. The latter might be his 'death sentence'

14. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I agree with 2 of the 3, but FT shooting is not that important

Look at Shaq and his four championships and three Finals MVPs

15. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Morey will not go anywhere and I still fault him for not getting a PG at the deadline, but other than that, it's on the coaches and players. I just wanna hear someone take responsilibty for once.

16. dwhite

dwhite Member

The deal per sources at the time was Thomas & Plumlee for DMo and our Knicks second round pick. In all fairness, McHale would have had the 6th man of the year runner up (who shoots like Reddick) locked down on our bench like he has with every other undersized point guard we have had.

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I'm sure Morey, the GM who helped make true shooting percentage a big deal in the current NBA, doesn't care about free throws :rolleyes:

And what exactly is "on him" for this? His team won the #2 seed in the conference despite various injuries, won a first round series pretty handily, and they're going up against a team with an identical record and which is more seasoned and just eliminated the NBA champions. I want them to win, too, but there will be no great shame if this Clippers team puts them down.

18. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

dmo for isaiah thomas? he would be mad to make that trade. get outta here with that nonsense. this claim was presented as them giving him away and all morey had to do was be accepting of this gift.

[​IMG]

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Yeah, because waiting around while being the 2 seed, and having 2 elite superstars has been such a tough process for us Rockets fans.

Really, man up. I could understand the b****ing if we a mediocre franchise going nowhere like the Pistons or something or even the Suns. Were in the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs.

Your 'narrative' scenarios don't even make sense. Yeah, there was a 'narrative' about us getting cap space to sign superstars down the road... and that's exactly what we did! Are you trying to tell me the Lowry/Scola/Martin core was better?

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

And he's also the reason this team has James Harden and Dwight Howard. It's on the players and coach.