1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[The Score] Report: Nuggets willing to deal Ty Lawson this offseason due to soured relationship

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fullcourt, May 7, 2015.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Would love him off the bench as the legit sixth man role.
    Don't know how we can get him though. :(

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The primary defender running with Harden doesn't need to be the PG. Trevor Ariza is doing the job pretty well and covering multiple positions, including PG. In fact, Ariza has done a better job on PG than Patrick Beverley has for much of this season-- due to injuries, Pat just has not had the same juice that he had last year.

The Rockets can do pretty well defensively even with Jason Terry at PG as long as they have enough good defenders on the court and everyone at least put forth some effort on D.

My real concern is whether Lawson is just a total d******d nowadays who is just gonna pout and blow up the locker room. I imagine that Morey and the front office have done quite a bit of research on this issue.

Otherwise, the guy is extremely fast with the ball, can get to the basket and finish, draw fouls or pass for the assist, and is a decent shooter. He seems to fit the skills profile for what the Rockets' offense want and need.

#22 Carl Herrera, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  3. malakas

malakas Member

Aha. So you will have tiny Lawson covering the opponents SF? That will help the defence for sure.

Fact is Lawson's defence is bad, and he is in his best when he has the ball in his hands. He can play off ball as well, but no as well if he's the primary ballhandler.
    And when you got Harden on your team you want the ball to be in his hands not in your PG.

Anyway Lawson will go to the Kings and you can book it.
    The offer the Rockets can make while has equal value, will get trumped by the high lottery pick they have that can offer Denver a chance at finally a star.
    The only chance it doesn't happen is if the Kings win the lottery.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Adding Lawson, would make us, at worst, the 2nd best backcourt in the NBA, perhaps the best. Plus we can operate over the cap, which is a pretty good position to be in.

5. Carl Herrera

As good as Harden is, the level at which the Rockets rely on him is not optimal. You want to have other guys who can dribble penetrate and make plays with the ball in order to create problematic situation for the defense all over the court.

The Rockets are ranked 12th offensively this season even with Harden being brilliant. They were ranked 4th last season with Harden taking a lighter load offensively. Having Parsons and Lin to be dribble-drive threats made for a more efficient offense even if they are not nearly as good as Harden.

You wouldn't want somebody like Rajon Rondo, who is pretty much detrimental when he doesn't have the ball because of his limited shooting range. But Lawson is not that-- he can actually make jumpers, and isn't afraid of taking free throws like 40% FT shooting Rondo is.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dmo/Jones + Papa + Pick...that fair?

Either Dmo or Jones, not both. Prefer it be Jones but I think Lawson is a perfect fit next to James and a PF duo of Jones and Smith would not be bad.

I'd roll with...

Lawson/Bev
    Harden/Brewer
    Ariza/KJ
    Jones/Smith
    Howard/Capela

For the next few seasons without blinking.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Too simplistic way to look at it. Stop looking at it from a one lineup perspective, and start looking at it from an 82 games and hopefully 4 rounds of playoffs with possible injuries.

Right now, the offense just dies when Harden isn't there. Lawson helps there.

8. malakas

malakas Member

It is fair (provided that DMO is 100% healthy and cleared) BUT the fit is not there.
    Let's say that Kings win lottery and take Towns which will keep because he's the perfect fit next to Boogie. Then the next best offer will be the Rockets and because no other team will need a PG the price will be much lower than the Nuggets wanted.
    However the fit isn't there. The Rockets must find a third team to give value to the Nuggets because their best prospects are in the frontcourt and both Jones and DMO will need to be paid next offseason.

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

If we're going to try to upgrade over Beverley then we need someone who is an all-nba caliber defender. Defense, 3 point shooting and then ball-handling in that order. With Harden, it's not essential to have a great distributor, but it's absolutely critical that Morey upgrades the shooting on this team.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Of course Lawson is not Rondo. He can play off ball and I think he had in the past under Karl. However the defence will drop no matter how you look at it. It will be a tradeoff offence for defence. I just think there is another better fit out there. Lawson's contract also is a bargain so Morrey probably will risk it if he gets the chance. Still it is problematic , it is not a perfect fit.

11. Carl Herrera

Who is a better fit and actually attainable?

High level players do become available from time to time, but when it happens the competition is stiff. If Lawson is available now and attainable at the right price, I'd take him rather than wait for phantom future possibility.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

'You are really better than Rondo'

'Wayyyyy better'

Lol

13. malakas

malakas Member

I think Bledsoe will be made available shortly. There are a few indications.
    Then there are a lower quality PGs available like Jarett Jack.
    Don't forget that Lawsons' defence isn't his only disadvantage. Except the DUI's and the disciplinary problems he is also injury prone.

Anyway Morrey will have to hope the Kings won't trade for him - it's not up to him. There is nothing that can beat their offer that the Rockets can give.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lawson is the absolute perfect fit. You keep Bev as well, but Ty can score and distribute.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well if the Nuggets are trading Lawson then they will be in rebuild mode and will probably be looking to stack assets. I get the fit is not there but if they can get a package of Jones or Dmo + First Round Pick + some other combination of young players that we have not named Capela then I think that's a fair deal and the best you'll get from us.

They can always then flip Gallo and Faried for more assets and just go for a complete rebuild.

16. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

"both Parsons"? Parsons Chandler and Tyson Parsons?

17. Carl Herrera

Dallas just does not have the trade assets. They will have to add talent through free agency most likely.

It would be great, though, if Dallas could acquire both Ty Lawson and Wilson Chandler. Major name confusion with Tyson Chandler, Ty Lawson, Chandler Parsons and Wilson Chandler.

18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Could be harden's curry.

19. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Trading jones does not make sense seeing that the nuggets already have Faried. The only person I can see us dangling as the center piece is dmo, but I don't think it's worth getting rid of him.

To answer the point guard needs, I really think Lull would be the ideal fit, and at a reasonable price. Shot 38% from 3 while having a 3:1 turnover ratio. He's perfect because he can play off the ball as well as run the offense in hardens absence.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I am with you on Larson. Fits almost everything you need to pair with Harden. Legit questions regarding what is going shoulders up.