1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Avengers: Age of Ultron

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 21, 2013.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Well, Iron Man didn't really retire. If anything I'd say the movie set up Civil War perfectly. It's clear Tony still thinks the threat is imminent, whether he left the Avengers or not.

Thor went home, because he knew something was wrong in Asgard and they're setting up Thor 3 (although technically it was already set after they showed Loki on the throne at the end of Thor 2). Hulk is likely off to space somewhere (the rumor is he's going to pop up in Guardians 2). Hawkeye definitely isn't retired either, he's also in Civil War.

The bottom line is all of them will be back for either part 1 or part 2 of infinity war. (Or both)

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I liked this. Pretty fun movie and the 4th best Marvel movie to date in my Opinion.

1. The Avengers
    2. GOTG
    3. Winter Soldier
    4. Avengers 2

3. trigun333

trigun333 Member

I completely agree with you there. I really enjoyed it, and when I compared it to the first I couldn't. It feels different to the first and I couldn't compare it it to the Avengers 1.

Other thoughts:

First I have to say I saw this in movie in Spanish in a really crappy theater. My wife doesn't 100% understand English yet so we had to see it at Cinema Latino in Pasadena.

Can't comment to much on the acting since a dubbing could cover that up. I really enjoyed the story and the action sequence. During some of the epic moments, all I could think to myself is I have to see this in an IMAX theater. Its a fun action movie that will make your inner 10 year old scream in joy. Can't wait to see this again this weekend but as it stands 8.5/10 could change after a second viewing.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all and the RT critics are crazy. I liked this movie quite a bit more than the first one. It's a piece of the puzzle, not a stand alone movie and that's fine by me. Where's the rule that says a movie cant be that? This is the best example of what a superhero cross franchise team-up feels like when you follow them in the comics. All kinds of **** going on all over the place that eventually converge at a point.

They crammed a ton of Avengers history (albeit altered) into 2.5hrs - and I loved it. I'd rank it 3rd behind Iron Man & Winter Soldier. Whether you like Whedon's storytelling or not, the way he directs and manages all the characters' personalities, interactions and action is on point. It feels like a comic book that's come to life. I hope that isn't lost on the Russo bros who filmed Winter Soldier in a different (but still good for that title) way.

What was with Captain America's dream? I feel like they cut out the scenes that would have given it significance. What did it mean? Anyone have any clues about what types of scenes were cut in general?

5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

There was quite a few things cut. Theyve already announced an extended cut bluray.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

After letting the dust settle on it, I again like the movie quite a bit. I do think it's on par with the other really strong movies recently released. It was definitely what a superhero team up movie should be. It also showed the Avengers saving a lot of lives, as opposed to something like Man of Steel which saw thousands of people die while Superman and Zod barreled into buildings, etc.

I do think you need to have seen either at least the original Avengers movies (but preferably a lot of the other movies involving the gems; Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc) to truly understand what is happening.

It's just supposed to show what his life had been like if he hadn't ended up in the ice. Compared to the others it doesn't quite seem like a nightmare, for him it's a constant reminder of the one who got away. It also is kind of the catalyst that makes him realize his place is fighting and as a soldier, there's nothing in the "normal world" for him.

I thought the whole team had chances to shine really, I just wish they hadn't killed Quicksilver. The rumor is he has a multipicture deal, I just can't believe he'd be introduced just to bite it like that. Truly a waste of the character if so. I'm sure they'll find a way to bring him back...but as of now I know Scarlet Witch is absolutely in Civil War. Is Quicksilver? I'd be surprised if he was now. Maybe he'll pop up in Infinity War 1/2. I'm guessing once all of the gems are in Thanos' possession things will become somewhat topsy turvy.

I'm fully expecting him to kill half the universe, but prior to that point I wouldn't be surprised to see characters who are "dead" suddenly revived somehow.

I also really liked the way they finally explained "okay, well where the hell is War Machine during this alien invasion?", and so on. On that same note, I'm glad they also explained where Thanos was going with all of this. It seemed silly to me that he'd give Loki one of the Infinity Stones/Gems to use to acquire one of the others, and then lose both of them without batting an eyelash. Looks like he's ready to ryde and what not.

I still think they're setting Hulk up to be in Guardians 2, and kind of bring the Guardians to Earth. (As if Thanos wasn't reason enough)
    Oh, and Vision is a beast.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So, Anthony Lane is super picky, right? But he likes Whedon a lot too. His review is pretty hilarious -- he's clearly not a comic book guy though.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/04/fighting-on

"The experience of watching “Avengers: Age of Ultron”—which is not just long but, in Iron Man’s words, “Eugene O’Neill long”—runs as follows. First, you try to understand what the hell is going on. Then you slowly realize that you will never understand what is going on. And, last, you wind up with the distinct impression that, if there was anything to understand, it wasn’t worth the sweat. I gave up around the time that we were presented with something called the Mind Stone, yet another cosmic thingamajig, and apparently one of six “infinity stones,” which sound like the kind of stuff that Bilbo Baggins would hawk on QVC."

So it sounds like it could be great for those truly immersed in the comic book universe/mutliverse, but for those of us just looking for a compelling action movie... maybe not. Consistent with what some of you are saying.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I saw an excerpt from that exact review going in and laughed. He got ****ed. Yeah, if you aren't somewhat familiar with the story then the payoff isn't as big. But you don't have to understand any of that stuff to enjoy it.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

The movie didn't feel that long. He obviously just didn't like the movie. Winter Soldier (which was great) felt much longer to me. Dark Knight Rises felt a hell of a lot longer. Name any Transformers movie (which all pretty much suck), and they're definitely a lot longer.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Finally hit theaters.

Saw it, loved it, on par with the first IMO. I thought they did a great job with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

They clearly tried to set up a new team of avengers at the end, but not sure how they will be utilized. Basically all of the big names are under contract for Infinity War. Scarlet Witch and Vision are fine, but they've basically developed War Machine and Falcon as sidekicks.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Doesn't mean they can't go HAM. Falcon was pretty awesome in Winter Soldier, and I'm sure he'll have an updated suit for Civil War. (It already looked different at the end of Ultron)

It's all about Civil War next, and they'll round out the rest of the team there. I mentioned earlier I believe Ant Man will be an Avenger by then as well. I know Black Panther will be introduced, but I don't believe he'll be an Avenger yet (since he has his own solo movie). Spiderman will be involved too, but I think he'll side with Stark like the comics.

12. SexyButIgnorant

Thoroughly disappointed with the film. Way too overstuffed, way too boring, the action became mindless and annoying! Some of the wit was still there though, and it had its good moments. 6/10 for me.

13. 713

713 Member

"Are you up for this? Are you? Look I just need to know because the city, i-i-it's flying. Ok, look, the city is flying, we're fighting an army of robots, and I have a bow and arrow. None of this makes sense."

14. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Saw it today and genuinely enjoyed the movie. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I personally don't understand why people didn't like it? Regardless, it was a great enstallment in the series and I can't wait for civil war next year.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I give it a 7.5/10.

Some of the Thor stuff in the middle didn't make much sense, probably because they had to cut a lot of stuff out.

Never fully bought into Ultron as the big bad for some reason.

I knew who Vision was and knew to expect him, but I wonder how general audience will react to ANOTHER super being just suddenly appearing in the middle of the film. I can imagine many just not being able to follow everything throughout the entire cinematic universe.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I love superhero movies though I don't follow the comics (spent my childhood reading dragon ball and doraemon comics instead). I don't necessarily hate AoU but I was expecting much more since Avengers 1 was the shiznit. I'll give it a 6 or maybe 7/10 after my second watching someday.

Vision was a surprise, I had no idea who he was. What exactly are his powers? So in the midst of the Avenger superheroes, we have an indestructable superman? I guess he'll come in hamdy whem they fight the last alien boss.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

though the movie clocked in long - i felt that parts of it felt pretty disjointed. I felt some of the scenes with Thor weren't fully explained in terms of what they meant -- some people alluded to an extended cut that would be released for the blu-ray which would probably help fill some of the stop gaps.

Not so much of a spoiler but I felt for a robot/AI type character - I loved the choice of James Spader but I felt Ultron was too much like James Spader in his dry humor/wit/sarcasm and not enough like a robot. Felt Ultron was given too much of a personality.

Overall there was a lot to like about the film but it was definitely a notch below the first avengers movie - and also a notch below GotG in my book. The movie did feel more of a set up movie - giving some back story and info for future movies to ultimately set up the 'finale' of Infinity War.

18. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I think Ultron was meant to be the baddie AND a 'villain' version of Tony Stark, which would explain why sometimes he's quite snarky and cracks jokes.

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I wish it was darker like Batman and Superman.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm guessing you liked Man of Steel.

The Dark Knight Trilogy worked because they were crime movies directed by one of the very best directors in the world, not really superhero movies. People want to be entertained, Man of Steel did not entertain me at all. All of the quips are part of what makes the Marvel movies so much fun to watch.

But, to each their own.