1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Avengers: Age of Ultron

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think 8/10 is a little too generous for this. I'd give it a 6/10 at best.

Very disappoint considering the hype it got... and Avengers 1 setting the bar. It's as if they didn't even try to improve upon the problems of the first movie. Instead they dumb it down and catered it to small children. This movie was more fitting of an Avengers cartoon series than a movie IMO.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd rank the movies like this:
    1. Captain America: Winter Soldier - 10/10
    2. The Avengers - 9.5/10
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
    4. Iron Man - 9/10
    5. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 8/10
    6. Thor - 8/10
    7. Iron Man 3 - 7.5/10
    8. Thor: Dark World - 7/10
    9. Captain America: The First Avenger - 5.5/10
    10. Iron Man 2 - 5/10

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Maybe i'm missing something but isn't Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Magneto's kids why would they be a part of this film.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You're missing something.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Where's the Incredible Hulk, son?

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They're also Avengers, and Marvel shares rights with Fox.
    Also recently in the comics they retconned that. They're no longer related to Magneto, gee I wonder why.

7. 713

713 Member

71% on RT.

Should I skip still see it?

8. VanityHalfBlack

Is this too kid friendly for those who've seen it?? How are the action scenes? Multiple edits? Shaky-Cam?

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i think i'm the only one that lives in a world where iron man 2 is better than iron man 3

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Diminishing returns. Too many comic book movies. They're going to get stale, if they already haven't.

11. MFG16

MFG16 Member

I might be the only person who actually enjoyed the first Captain America. To each his own.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I did. I might not put it very high in my overall rankings, but I'm not going to give it 5/10 either.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I liked it too. It isn't on the level of the current batch of movies, but 5/10 is definitely underrating it.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Iron Man says the S-word early on. And they bantered a whole lot about language and how CA is a goody two-shoes.

Speaking of, where did that come from? Did I miss something, or did they try to characterize CA as a goody two-shoes outta nowhere?

I would still see it. If it was a standalone movie, it's not a particularly bad movie. It's only because the first one was so much better and GotG and Winter Soldier have come out, that people don't believe AoU to be on that tier.

I think it's a good way to set up the entire universe for the two Infinity War movies. I'm not sure about the contractual side of things, but if a particular original Avenger wants to pull out of the movie, there won't be a shortage of hero replacements.

I mean, Black Panther / Captain Marvel / Spider-Man / Dr. Strange, in addition to those Avengers seen at the end of AoU are all probably going to show up in the two Infinity War movies. Having that particular ending will give an out in explaining why some Avengers aren't there, I suppose.

Why was it named Veronica, though? I don't think that was ever explained.

If it was never mentioned before Stark called for it, then that's just lazy writing. "Hey, ____ is happening, so let's conveniently get something for this particular situation."

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Oops, forgot to [/spoiler] the third post up there. It's not that spoilery though.

16. MFG16

MFG16 Member

When I read the beginning of the word spoiler and realized it wasn't properly formatted I immediately scrolled all the way down. I actually get scared clicking on this thread before watching the movie for reasons just like this.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Realized I have an extra ticket for this, 7:15 at Sundance tonight. If someone wants it take it, just don't talk to me in real life.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

I usually "preview post" before posting anything with a spoiler tag. Not sure why I didn't, this time. It's not that spoilery, but you might as well not read it.

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I really enjoyed the movie. It wasn't the best of the Marvel movies, but it definitely wasn't Batman Forever. I don't know what movie he watched.

Really enjoyed the little nods and so on. I'd give it 8.5/10. Where the original Avengers was 9.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just watched this with my 9-year-old son. Great, fun movie.

Preliminary thoughts:

It was somewhat dark; but as JJ said above they're setting things up for whats coming down the road. The comedy wasn't the same but there were some funny moments.

Loved, LOVED Vision, especially when he picked up Thor's hammer.

Ultron was good but he had some classic dumb villain moments. But I can forgive it for the sake of moving the movie along.

I ended up liking Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch more than I thought I would. Protip: watch the American version of Oldboy. ;)

I liked that War Machine got some action time. Too bad Falcon didn't show up in the climax but it was cool that he was on Avengers V2.

Speaking of the new Avengers, they're not done fleshing out the team, obviously. Expect to see Black Panther (upcoming movie), Ant Man (movie), and maybe a character or two from one of the Netflix series to cross over. Oh, and possibly Spider-Man. :)

I can also see Disney and RDJ coming to a consensus on writing Stark out of the movies; he's commanding a HUGE paycheck and I think he may be getting burned out on playing the part....although from what I understand Stark is just RJD playing himself.

Was it better than A1? It was different. In some ways I thought it was better, in others, not so much. Not as big as the first one, but still awesome.

I'll post more after my brain has digested the movie a bit.

Yeah, they explained that.
    Stark and Banner talk about designing Veronica and allude to it being a counter to Hulk. Also, the fight went on for about 10 minutes. I think you may have been high or drunk when you watched this movie

But seriously, you're doing yourself a disservice watching a bootleg. It's an action movie meant to be seen in a big-screen, LOUD speaker setting, not a video of a video.

I took my son and I felt it was kid friendly. Very subjective, though. We don't pray at every meal and we're very realistic with him; he understands that it's fiction. Language-wise, there were some mid-level cursing a few times (s***, b****, a**)....nothing that would phase my son as I cuss like a sailor at times. A couple of crass jokes, but subtle enough that a naive kid wouldn't get it. People died but it wasn't graphic. There were fights, obviously. I wouldn't have a problem with my son seeing it at any age, but again, very subjective to your parent/child dynamic, kid's personality, etc, etc.

I'd say the least kid-friendly aspect of it was the previews: Insidious 3 and Southpaw trailers were pretty adult. But I think they change the trailers for the expected demographic and it was obvious that they were expecting the 20-something crowd to be out in force (which it was).