1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets fired their social media manager today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 29, 2015.

1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Probably nothing, but it's the thought that counts :)

I can't imagine how awkward it would be if a person got fired, then rehired because a petition was signed by a lot of people. I mean, talk about weird office dynamics afterwards haha.

And some posters have mentioned "outside pressure" as well, in which case, even a bit more out of Rockets' reach.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's a weird call, but it's all about business, branding and perceived class (as opposed to someone being sensitive or anyone being PC).

I say that because it wasn't a classy tweet, but I can't see a "PC" side of it, because sick and lame horses DO get shot. There's nothing inherently offensive about referencing that fact, with respect to a horse mascot. The Mavericks were indeed sick and lame, and the tweet was kind of perfect in that way. Cruel, for an organization's official communication, and thereby possibly brand negative.

I thought it was very funny. For PR purposes I would have put the otherwise excellent and nice person on "suspension" for a few days and then buried the whole thing. He should still be employed I think.

Not sure what a good "turn the tables" case would be. I can think of some offensive tweets for our mascot, but it brings up very sad times, with loss of life, so I don't think it's equivalent at all. :-(

1 person likes this.
  3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

He didn't get fired for the tweet itself, but rather what the tweet shows about his judgement. I would've been ok with a 2 week suspension, but hey, as a social media manager, you should've realized that would've brought about social backlash.

4. Lolman5

Lolman5 New Member

Jesus christ, do Social Justice Warriors have to be offended by everything? Do they HAVE to interpret a 140 character tweet literally when it was clearly a joke?

5. binhie

binhie Member

Perhaps it's already been posted but Academy is looking for a social media manager

6. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

LOL I didn't see the horse head and the gun at first. I was like.... What he say? Yeah I think the emoticons were inappropriate

7. BeardlyBeardman

fish emoji + gun emoji

deer emoji + gun emoji

duck dynasty emoji + gun emoji

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS !!!

1 person likes this.
  8. MD_in_Training

My question is who the F was actually offended by this besides oversensitive Mavs fans?

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Morey to be on the lebatard show in a few.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Captain Jackass?

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

If he gets his job back his first tweet should just be 3 emojis. The horse head + tears + diapers. No words, just those.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is there a stream?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Last night I didn't see the emojis at all. Only this morning did I realize it wasn't a rape joke.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

So stupid. So so stupid. Mavericks should change their mascot from a horse to a cat.

15. Nero

Nero Member

It wasn't about anyone being offended, not really. It was about the utter lack of sense, lack of professionalism, lack of class, and completely tone deaf nature of the tweet. The guy had ONE job, and apparently didn't stop to think before he hit send.

You make your employers look like fools, the axe is gonna fall, this is no surprise at all.

16. MD_in_Training

Or just leave the metaphors at home and go straight to a vagina.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If it was meant to be a rape joke he would have used the Kobe emoji in place of the horse.

1 person likes this.
  18. MD_in_Training

Sense of what? Define professionalism and class. Then show me how the tweet pertains to your definitions.

1 person likes this.
  19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

the decision to fire this guy is worse than all the reffing in the playoffs combined.