1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 4/21/2015 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 19, 2015.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I doubt Parsons is doing any of that effectively on a bum knee. I'd be shocked if he doesn't play, though. If he doesn't, he must be really, really, really hurt.

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

he's not a very good defender as well

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

oh boy even in the playoffs.........................................................................................................................................

4. Coog4Rockets

Coog4Rockets Member

If Carlisle was smart, he'd play a lot more of Aminu this game. And Villanueva more minutes to space the floor.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stein:

Number one observation from game one?

Howard looked good on the court when not in foul trouble. Good news for Rockets. He's back.

Positives as a Mavs fan?

It's just game one. Will anyone be surprised if they steal game two? If Parsons & Harris are ailing, ...they need those guys.

Parsons?

You can see it with your own eyes. He's hobbling, it's been going on for a couple of weeks. They need him. He looks well shy of 100%.

Dirk expressing that frustration.

It shows his care level is still 11 out of 10. The way Harden got that foul, that's what set him off. He's not a huge fan of that stuff. Also, he knows he doesn't have 5-6-7 playoff runs in him, more like 2 or 3. That was a game at half they thought they could steal but obviously did not go that way. The tension between the two teams is felt by all. Mavs would love to beat the Rockets. Dirk's attitude reflects that.

Biggest adjustment?

Mavs, it's all defense and rebounding. Are Ariza and Brewer gonna shoot the way they did? If they do, not sure there is an adjustment. You'll live with what you held Harden to or you'll live with the approach he took. The 3s in general were a problem. First two things, as always, are defense and rebounding.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Lulz.

7. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

lol Dirk mad at cheap fouls called :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

So the Mavs are pretty much fuked. You dont just improve in the playoffs at what you have been terrible at all year

Stein exposed as an idiot

1 person likes this.
  9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol. I wouldn't be a fan of the guy on the opposite team that we have no answers for either Dirk.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Eff that and eff him. "Not a fan of that stuff". Dude, drik is the king of that 'stuff'. Thats a nazi calling a kkk member racist.
    Eff bspn man, they are the

1 person likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

If this is what set him off, then yes.

That's not a foul on Dirk. That's an offensive foul.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Poor Dirk <a href="https://t.co/pvZACPLNTU">https://t.co/pvZACPLNTU</a></p>&mdash; Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) <a href="https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/589803773561823232">April 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I know it's Dirk, and the irony of that quote seems to be lost on Stein, but that was a bad call. Harden initiated the contact and went back to his original path. If Harden goes into Dirk and doesn't move back its a foul, no question, but that's not what happened.

Still, bad calls both ways in Game 1; to me it was relatively even on both sides. Basically, a Joey Crawford game.

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

The rockets have given up big games to many odd players of opposing teams this year. Charlie v hit two open 3s in the last game at the end when not guarded or guarded lightly. That's what he does. The rockets are slow on adjustments. It could happen.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The goal of the Mavs has always been simple: steal one of the 2 games here in Houston. At all costs, the Rockets must avoid that. Yes I believe the Rockets still win the series if they lose on Tuesday, but lets continue to send the message this postseason to the rest of the NBA, that the Rockets can dominate at home, and remain competitive on the road. They were gifted a #2 seeding based on a crazy end of the reg season finish, and they must not take that for granted.

Quick thoughts: The Mavs employed variations of 2 3 zone and box and 1 during game 1, in hopes of slowing the Rockets interior passing. The Rockets were able to get into the paint at will, and essentially broke down the Mavs interior defense(basically non existent without Tyson...dont they wish they had Brandon Wright). I think that will be a strategy that the Mavs will continue to employ, bc they just dont have the personnel to guard anyone 1-1. Also look for Rondo to get the keys to the car a bit more. There was a period in the 2nd quarter that playoff Rondo made a scary appearance. He was making shots in rhythm and the ball was moving very well. Look for Carlisle to magnify this stretch a bit more, and allow Rondo more freedom to operate on his own.

In regards to the Rockets, the Rockets need to continue to allievate the stress that James has to carry by just showing up. Everyone played such balanced ball, and the play of each individual had a cumulative affect resulting a great team win. Everyone was rolling. The only major critique I have for the Rockets is "OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS..." This solely focuses on the 4 and 5 spots (cant blame Dwight, bc when he was on the floor, that wasnt an issue). The moment he was off, the Mavs relentlessly attacked the rim. When Dwight leaves the game, the rest of the team needs to collectively attack the glass. Position and blocking out are absolute musts. The Rockets can get away with it, bc they are hyperaggressive playing passing lanes. Cant expect the Mavs to continue to turnover the ball(one of the best at taking care of it).

Continue to keep the gas on the throttle and take any and all life away from a aged/weary looking Mavs team. Go ROCKETS

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I love the narrative, "will Ariza, Brewer, Terry, etc. shoot the same way...blah blah blah" What about will Josh Smith and Pablo play like crap on the offensive end?

I love how they overlook a below average effort by two of our role players while claiming 2 other role players played above their heads. Also, Ariza was 3-6 and 2-2 from 3. Not lights out in my opinion and somewhat sustainable.

Just seems funny when other fans believe certain players will revert to the mean while other players with proven track records won't play better also which will even everything out. Great to have battle tested veterans out there that I know will hit big buckets when needed. If only 3 of Ariza, Brewer, Terry, Smith, and Pablo play well we win. If more than 3 play well we will blow them out. I'll take my chances that at least 3 of these guys will play well on any given night.

Dirk being mad about one foul call is priceless.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Well, if hes gonna complain, he needs to complain about that untouched 3 he took that miraculously turned into a 4 point play by the breath of a spirit.

So disgusting, he flails and flops and has the gaul to complain.

17. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

More of a no call if you ask me, but that's what Harden does.

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I say it is 50/50 between a no call and offensive foul. It would be a very strange offensive foul to call. When Harden trips over Dirk's flailing legs is when it went from a No call to a defensive foul. Very tough call but maybe Dirk will be ready to flop better next time. His hair and arms didn't flail enough probably because Rondo was in his crosshairs.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Gifted as in won 56 games with Dwight missing half the year?

Rockets deserved the second seed. They weren't gifted anything playing in the SW division.