1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Next Moreyball Innovation That Should Happen Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ipaman, Apr 13, 2015.

1. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Then the problem just solve itself, no?

2. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Another problem with this is your best rebounders are generally the worst FT shooters. ORB% probably goes down dramatically unless the shooter is precise enough to throw it at the rim with enough speed to create more randomness in the direction it bounces (but if they were that precise, wouldn't they be able to hit the FT in the 1st place?)

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dorsey tries to make it and he shoots airballs, if he tried to miss? I'd bet he would throw at least two shots OVER the backboard per game.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

And that's when they erased the dryboard and started brainstorming again.

6. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

That's dumb. It would make it obvious to the other teams we are pursuing a rebound, and make them just as prepared as we are to grab the boards.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here's another strategy: when Dorsey is in the game and they want to foul him, make sure he elbows them in the mouth simultaneously.

Let's accept that Dorsey will get thrown out of the game once in a while, but in exchange players will be reluctant to foul like they're swiping an iphone.

8. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

This is the dumbest suggestion

1 person likes this.
  9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Not only that, the opposing team is almost always in better rebounding position during a FT situation

10. Nook

Nook Member

The next Moreyball innovation?

Realize that there are a lot of teams like the Sixers and Celtics and Suns that are hoarding assets and it is no longer a real strategy for a team like the Rockets. When a player like Goran Dragic is available, you strike while the iron is hot, even if you have to overpay.... Force his hand and offer him the max and dare him to leave.

Who would you rather have right now? Goran Dragic or Donatas and the Pelicans pick?

We would in all likely hood have the #2 seed wrapped up and looking at a WCF meeting with SA or GS. Instead we are looking at a probable first round exit unless we meet Portland (we are NOT getting the second seed).

11. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Let's say Dwight Howard goes to the free throw line who is shooting .528 this year. The expected return is (1*.528 + 1*.528) = 1.056. If he makes the first free throw, the expected return for that possession becomes is (1 + 1*.528) = 1.528. The first free throw has no impact on making the second and making it already creates 1 point for that possession. Assuming even if the team rebound rate hold steady at .270, which is unlikely because our best rebounder is Dwight himself... the possession point expected value becomes (1 + 1.07*.27) = 1.29.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The sad thing is that our bigs are so bad at free throws that they would shoot a higher percentage if they tried to miss.

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

*offensive rebound rate.

15. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

From memory here, but there was an article that showed the % on 2nd FT attempt is usually higher than the 1st one, which makes sense (the player isn't shooting cold anymore). I think it was actually on Dwight. but the 2nd FT is more makeable than the 1st one. You can sometimes notice it in Dwight, his form on the 1st one is mostly bad, but it always improves on the 2nd one.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

OR you could just consider the second FT its own possession. and if scoring 1 point per possession is highly efficient, and on this particular possession you have a 60-89% chance of doing that. by missing the second ft you lower your chances of scoring to the same % as your offensive rebounding rate. i'd rather just make the free throw.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Because you have the 1pt in the bag and are hoping for the rebound and the more efficient (for our team especially) traditional Moreyball. For example, Josh is statistically better from 3pt than from FT. Josh makes the 1st FT, intentionally misses the 2nd, rebound, Moreyball FTW!!!

Question for you doubters, why do teams do it at the end of game when down by more than 1 possession?

18. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

This is one of the worst applications of (faulty) statistics I've seen on this board.

A 50% FT shooter that just makes the first free doesn't mean the chance of him hitting his second FT is < 50%. The first thing you learn in statistics is conditional probability. If you just flipped a heads, does that mean you're more likely to flip tails on the next go around? Uhh no.

So I guess if Harden is 9/10 from the field he should immediately stop shooting because he's going to miss his next 6 or so shots, so just pass it to the cold Josh Smith because he's due to make some shots, right guys?

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair, wouldn't you want to compare (i) the Rockets average points per possession excluding those free throw situations he's talking about - which is still probably about 1 since we're talking about mostly 50% free throw shooters, though might raise a little bit give Dorsey is included with (ii) the point per possession obtained from the second free throw shot by the likes of Howard, Smith, Dorsey and Capela - which, is probably 0.5 or less?

Again, to be fair, the OP stated only when the 1st free throw had already been hit. While this doesn't change the statistics, it does give you some value out of the possession (at least the one point).

That said, I think the math shown already disproves the theory.

You want:
    Probability of making second free throw
    Probability of collecting offensive rebound
    Likely points per possession if collecting the offensive rebound

HOWEVER, I am definitely not opposed to this as a random thing to do during hack-a-player contests. Not every time, but something to think about. Statistics aren't in your favor, but if you do get that outlier 2 offensive rebounds and scores in a row, I think every someone as consistent as Pop might just change their strategy. You'd have to recognize it isn't likely to happen... but in a game like the Spurs game, heck, as a fan, I wouldn't be opposed...

And randomly, there's also a mental component. It shouldn't be this way, but I could see how one of the bigs going up there only focusing on making that first free throw might put them in a better mental state then the 2.. shouldn't be true for NBA players, but these guys also should be able to hit more than 5 out of 10 free throws and don't, so who knows.

20. basketballholic

Here's the issue with what the OP is suggesting. The offensive rebounding rate that would have to be considered here is not the overall offensive rebounding rate. That rate includes tips at the rim and long rebounds that come out as players are randomly positioned around the court or more specifically as the offense is spread out on the perimeter.

FTs are quite different. You have the alignment along the lane to consider. So you have to isolate the offensive rebounding rate for free throws. And that ORB% is actually going to be much lower than the overall ORB% just because the defense already has the low blocks and boxing out position.

I suppose the 3-point suggestion may POSSIBLY have some validity but not much. Because you can't stack players around the 3-point arc down low on the baselines, etc to account for higher ORB% off 3-point misses.

Great job thinking outside the box though.

===========================================

In my opinion, without a roster upgrade in sight, the best response to hacking for us is to take out our bigs and run a lineup of Harden, Ariza, Brewer, Pablo, and either Kostas or McDaniels. You burn shot clock with those 5 guys spread and let Harden make a play at the end of the shot clock. All those guys can shoot it decently well and can cut and finish with the lane cleared out. The key is to burn the shot clock down and not take early shots. Run it down all the way.

Then defensively, you press them 94 feet. You've got a bunch of smalls with ball-hawking instincts on the floor. You've got Kostas back as your safety valve. His job is to knock down the long pass and/or foul the opponent's worst shooter at the rim if the ball winds up there. But you press the opponent with multiple defenders in the backcourt, attempting to get 8-second counts or steals. Once they get across half-court you defend the best you can with automatic doubles if they get the ball to the bigs. And rather than giving up layups/dunks, you let Kostas or McDaniels use their fouls to stop the play and reset the shot clock to 14 or put the opponent on the line. Of course, if you get the turnover with man advantage you go down and finish the play. But anything that's not a layup/dunk, you back it out and set it up and burn the shot clock down. In other words, no early 3's or any other early shots other than layups/dunks at the rim.

I'd do this before I ran Dorsey out there again. And I'd at least try this if the opponent went to hacking Smith or Dwight.