1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Hack-a-Rocket and the Emerging Playoff Picture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

What a pleasant surprise! Who needs sports radio when you have a friggen rockets podcast hot off the presses. Thanks clutch!

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Good start to the week! Thanks Clutch!

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

You know, people always talk about how Harden is the perfect analytical/Moreyball player (with his abilities to get to the basket, hit threes and get to the line), but D-Mo is also pretty much the perfect player for that philosophy too. He hits threes and scores in the paint -- just in a different way that Harden.

Man, we miss him so much. The players seem to be playing somewhat off since it was announced he was out for the season -- like it has affected their mindset.

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

thanks Clutch!

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Thanks for the podcast!

I agree wholeheartedly that even though any first round matchup is tough, I really favor playing Portland.

No Matthews, hurt Afflalo, no Wright.

Batum has struggled this year, and I'm confident Ariza will make him a non-factor if need be.

It'll be tough guarding LMA and Lopez again, but I think our guys can help somewhat. Harden can offset that scoring, because Wes was such a huge factor for the Blazers' success.

Hell, we can put Ariza, Brew, Prigs, Harden on Lillard/McCollum...

To me, that's the best matchup we can hope for at this point.

7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Great point by MK about the effect of hack-a-Rocket on the game. Not only is it like benching Harden and the whole offense, but it gives the opposing team a breather to rest on defense.

8. basketballholic

Clutch,

No discussion about possibly replacing Dorsey. What do you think the chances are that Morey will drop Dorsey and get another big, someone like Blatche or possibly a Euroleague big that is out of the Final Four now?

9. rocketblood713

Let's face it we are going to be one of those 3 teams

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is my take as well. I know the numbers say 1 of 2pts per possession is good enough, but the Rockets offense gets out of synch, people lose their flow and rhythm, and Harden doesn't get to do damage.

I can guarantee you that if the Rockets face Portland in the 1st round that Terry Stotts will do a Hack-A strategy. Rockets have to be ready.

I would just rather the Rockets be UP in the score dealing with this, then BEHIND like in the Spurs game.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Also, Terence Jones NEEDS to step up his game. I know his rib is hurting but with DMo out, and the Rockets somewhat hamstrung with dealing with bigs (Doresy,Capela), Jones has to be more of a factor. More fire, rebounding, and more consistency.

12. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

But will Ariza announce this before the series starts?

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's true, but it also can be like Ali leaning on the ropes. If you don't land any clean punches, the offense can rediscover itself and you're in foul trouble.

It only works against the Rockets because we have 2 guys playing at all times that hit 50% or lower, and we are very one dimensional on offense (Harden).

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

If only they start counting shot attempts just as when they hack a rocket... That would help curtail the crazy fouling... Get it at half court, they foul Dorsey and make a shot... possible 4 points per possession. If you think about it.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Terrence just needs to be more aggressive, he's not getting enough shots IMO, he shoots a great percentage.

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

They should make intentional fouling/fouls off the ball 1 point+possession when you're in the penalty. That'd really speed things up. The only time people should be shooting free throws is on shooting fouls.

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

So many things on my mind.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

what's the number to call into this show, have loads of questions :)