1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is why Curry's not MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScolaIsBallin, Mar 8, 2015.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Why didn't Curry win it last year? Compare his stats, they're almost identical. If anything just proves Kerr is a HUGE upgrade over Jackson and should win COY. Also GSW has been healthier this year.

Check the stats for yourselves, Curry is the exact same player as last year. If Curry wins MVP this year, there should be outrage on why he didn't win back2back MVPs.

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Wait, where did he say that? What I saw was This:

1 person likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

all their young players taking a significant leap forward had something to do with their success so far

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bogut is the heart of the team
    If he was out as much as Dwight was . .. . . They would be no more than a 55 win team . . .. at best . . .and i am being generous

Rocket River

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The rhetoric about how if Steph Curry played in more 4th quarters is also comical. The idea that Steph Curry's stats would increase proportionally to his minutes is a lie the reporters at BSPN tell themselves everyday. More minutes does not mean more production. Anyone ever heard of a saturation point? It's a shocker that a bunch of guys with degrees in communication do not understand statistics, trends, or anything of the sort.

6. boozer13

boozer13 Member

I love how people just assume that when comparing the stats of two players, the circumstances in which they are playing does not matter at all.

We all know that Curry is a better shooter than Harden; heck, he might be the greatest of all time in terms of just pure shooting.

But when comparing the efficiency of two players, it is always not so easy to make simple generalizations as there are so many factors to consider.

First of all, Curry is somewhat of a catch and shoot type of guy and Harden is mainly isolation player. And it is pretty clear which style of play produces more higher shooting percentages.

There is reason why Kyle Korver is having the best year of his career in the current Hawks system. They just simply move the ball exceptionally well (Thanks to the brilliant coaching of Budenholzer)

I would argue that Curry is a similar beneficiary of this kind as Kyle Korver. That does not mean Curry is not a great shooter on his own. As I said, I think he is one the best - if not THE best - of all time when it comes down to pure shooting.

I just think that Curry's efficiency numbers are a bit overblown because the level of one's teammates and the system in which they make their plays greatly influences the accuracy of one's shooting.

Let see if Curry or Korver can reach the highly esteemed "50-40-90" (or "50-50-90" in the case of Korver) mark if they are asked to carry a team's offense single-handedly and hence forced to make many isolation plays. I highly doubt it.

On the contrary, put Harden in the Golden State, Atlanta Hawks or San Antonio Spurs where they have way superior ball movement and many players with great passing skills, I would be amazed if Harden's overall efficiency number does not increase dramatically.

It's just the way it is. Great passing leads to open looks, hence higher shooting percentages.

Why is Westbrook's field goal percentage hitting career low at this point? Because he IS the entire offense of his team and have to create his own shot every single time.

Plus, he plays tons of minutes so the fatigue factor is also something to consider. I would argue Harden is in a very similar situation, albeit somewhat to a lesser degree.

To back up my argument, there is an advanced stat called 'FGM % AST' which calculates how much of a player's field goals have been assisted by his teammate.

Curry's current number is at 44%. So, that means almost half of his shots have been created by some kind of team play. Kyle Korver's number is at staggering 95%.

That just shows you how dependent Korver is to his teammates and Curry is better at creating his own shot.

Harden's number? Mere 28%. For Westbrook, it's 24% so even lower.

I mean, Steve Nash was always way better and more accurate shooter than Kobe Bryant even in his prime. When in came to the realm of 'efficiency', Nash really kicked Kobe's butt.

But does that mean Nash was better scorer or even better overall player than Kobe? I don't know, but I find that difficult to accept.

For me, considering all the relevant surrounding factors, there is no question Harden is better player overall, even if Curry's game might be more efficient.

Because Harden really can do it own his own, whereas Curry has yet to prove that.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is no telling how Curry's stats would be like if he played more in the 4th quarter. In a way, it's just too bad that the Warriors have so many blow out games and Curry is not relied on that much to be the closer in crunch time. If he was and wilted, then we all would know that Harden was superior. If he was and turned up a notch in the clutch, then it would be another story.

The fact is, we don't know because it didn't happen.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yup. <a href="http://t.co/owQe9ZUZXt">pic.twitter.com/owQe9ZUZXt</a></p>&mdash; Oracle Arena (@OracleArena) <a href="https://twitter.com/OracleArena/status/586372003633827842">April 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Ugh...he's playing 4 minutes less my brother and putting up pretty much the same stats while SHOOTING BETTER.

SMH

10. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

so this guy is overhyped because he is a gifted 3 point shooter with ok handles...

how about kyle korver or kyrie irving for mvp then, korver is the best shooter in the nba and the hawks have 57 wins, and kyrie has more win shares on the cavs than lebron

curry is just getting hyped cause he lightskin and they can market him better, kate fegan of all people was on espn ft this morning and totally owned all the dudes at the table when she said harden was the mvp

here is the video

ownage starts at 0:34( notice while kate is talking, scoop jackson has a look on face like kate your going with the script)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MOlwmRxLxF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the bald dude responds to kate fegan by claiming steph is mvp because he made klay thompson and draymon green better players, huh wtf.. klay and draymon were already talented players in their own right. stephen curry barely averages more assist than harden.. total ownage

11. RESINator

RESINator Member

MVP performance tonight against Trailblazers

12. Cypress

Cypress Member

Their goes that man.

13. steady

steady Member

45 points, 9 assists. Close game throughout, until last 2 or 3 minutes when Curry scored like 20 points. It was impressive.

14. steady

steady Member

^Correction:

Portland trailed by 2 with 5:16 remaining in the game -- then Curry scored 17 more points to end the game with 45 points on just 23 attempts.

15. NateNate

NateNate Member

Looks like the MVP to me (unfortunately)

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just funny how Harden has plenty of these kinds of games. Just gets so much less hype.

17. Asian Sensation

Let it go. The MVP award(s) will come if Harden keeps working hard. The most important thing for Harden right now is to carry us deep into the playoffs and prove he's a true Superstar when and where it matters most. THE PLAYOFFS.

1 person likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Curry out scored the whole Blazers team 17-12 in that 5:16 stretch

19. chandlerbang21

Curry does it in a different manner and half his points aren't free throws. He also is more exciting to watch to the general public

20. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

17/23? Dude shot only 3 free throws to get his 45 points and he did it against a legit western conference team. Harden is still my MVP because he's been the most valuable player, but what Curry did tonight was beyond impressive