1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBC fires Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. prohibido

prohibido Member

The Bolivia episode was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

There was a big push last week with http://www.reddit.com/r/TopGear to let Netflix know that they want them to pick up the three boys... thousands submitted requests via Netflix support chat and Twitter mentions. Most responses were overwhelming positive.

3. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

No love for the Stig?

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Damn, the very next episode was going to cover the Golf R which I'm in the market for sometime after I graduate.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Damn, that's a nice car -- how can you afford it right out of High School?

6. Faust

Faust Member

i feel bad now. this kid is way younger and richer than me but he sounds a lot smarter than my entire hs class ever was. must be a chinese guy.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This is a huge problem. Not just The Stig but also the the hangar, 747, Lotus track, record of F1 drivers records going around it in a Suzuki Liana.

I think actual fans of the show will want to preserve all of that and keep it together with Hammond and May instead of end it all because of one racist.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This goes against what May has already said ("package deal") and what Hammond presumably agrees with. You really have a bone to pick with Clarkson. Yes, he is boorish and offensive. But, I don't think there's any doubt that his antics and unrestrained commentary were the main driving forces behind Top Gear. May and Hammond play off of him well, but neither did as many solo road tests or ever hosted Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

The three of them together is what made the show work. Everybody has a favorite and least-favorite presenter. Me? I was never much of a Hammond guy compared to the other two within the context of the show. That doesn't mean I don't think Clarkson is an oaf, but I enjoyed him on the show among the other two.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Give it up Bandwagoner. Clarkson makes the show like it or not. It's his bombastic persona that stirs the drink everyone loves been though you don't.

10. Bandwagoner

The show is dead no matter what anyone wants. I wish it would come back as it was but that will never happen. Because of that, I hope the new Top Gear is as close to the old as possible.

11. Svpernaut

I imagine that Stig is licensed as a Top Gear property, so I don't think he or a "Star in a reasonably priced car" would make it to any new show.

The track where the show was filmed is government owned airfield, and was simply leased by the BBC for Top Gear. There is no reason that Clarkson, Hammond and May couldn't lease it wherever they land too.

I loved Top Gear, it is my favorite show probably ever - and it was because of the three guys. Not because of the track, or the cars, or the stars or anything else like that. My favorite Top Gear moments (and probably most fans) were the road trips and crazy scenarios they got themselves into.

They could easily test super cars against one another on any track in the world, and they could do the same thing with "stars." So that wouldn't be hard to replace. I think "stig" is the only thing that they would lose that I'd care about.

With that said, I'd watch the **** out of them just doing 10 episodes of crazy road trips once a year. Learning about super cars is fine and dandy, but that wasn't why I watched and loved the show. It was cool to see three blokes busting each other's balls all the time and doing really fun things.

12. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Got to Disagree there, they did knowingly provoke people, but getting chased and a gang following them? They even repeated in later interviews that that part was completely real, usually if something is scripted, it's either really obvious (camerawork is way too good) or they'll just say 'Yeah we did fake it', like the caravan on fire scene in one of their episodes, they put it a statement that it was done with full cooperation with the campsite and firemen.

13. Svpernaut

Agreed, when they "fake" something it is completely obvious that is it was faked. In the southern episode, they clearly didn't know what they were getting into - and the look of terror on their faces was pretty damn real (and quite hilarious).

14. Bandwagoner

They didn't really show anything though. I'm sure they were scared but outside of some rocks and screams I doubt anything happened. They also ham it up when recounting it because the random rednecks showing up in a truck were unrelated.

This however IS related.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wn4b8xVTUhA?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Svpernaut

James May is brilliant. JM's unemployment tube is gold.

As far as the rednecks go, here they are on 60 Minutes explaining it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4jG0D2nRGrQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Executive Producer said, "That was not staged." "We pushed it too far..."

EDIT - Full 60 minutes clip

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9tIAcbQGfns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Bandwagoner

Yeah and they never showed anything of substance and probably over sold it for effect. Compare it to the Argentina footage, where they were really in danger. There isn't any because they were GTFO.

17. Svpernaut

The producer said something along the lines of, "You know it was a harrowing experience because the footage was so bad."

18. REEKO_HTOWN

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

Anyone looking for a test driver? I am currently out of a job right now.

20. REEKO_HTOWN