1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Baffling KJ McDaniels Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 1, 2015.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

[​IMG]

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

[​IMG]

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I would think this trade was just a reflection on how much McHale and Morey were disappointed on Canaan and will just do whatever it takes to clear up a spot.

They just totally gave up on him.

Basically this is close to a contract dumping move while getting back a guy who can't shot, but with decent potential but no guarantee contract for next year.

It's more about what we need to get rid of rather than what we are receiving in this deal.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

KJ has a nice skillset and is very raw, like Capela. He needs at least D-league burn. I can't imagine sitting on the bench is doing wonders for his development.

Canaan wasn't going anywhere fast. Chuckers are a dime a dozen.

Hopefully KJ is very involved behind the scenes in practice so that he can start contributing meaningfully next season.

5. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

What they gained was the expiring contract. McDaniels is someone on a cheap contract who need be is a solid wing defender. If they need the flexibility to sign a big name free agent, McDaniels will not be on the books

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That trade made a lot more sense, since we really needed a backup wing. Hamiltion just didn't pan out.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

maybe Morey liked him and thought he could help out this season but McHale is closing not to play him due to his distrust of rookies? We don't know what is going on behind the scenes... but this might have simply been a move for the future, to give the Rockets a leg up on resigning him while keeping him 'stashed' on the bench (thereby lowering his value).

who knows

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

fixed

9. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Maybe he just chose Johnson over Canaan. Got an interesting prospect for Canaan. Maybe KJ can be signed to a good deal since he's not getting much playing time.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I guess Morey saw potential, but McHale hasn't liked yet what he has seen in practice.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He was/is insurance that thankfully we haven't had to claim. But he is a good option if Ariza or Brewer were to go down. :eek:

12. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets just wanted Canaan out of town.

McDaniels also is someone the Rockets really like.

If they resign him at a good number then it is a big win, otherwise just a second rounder.

Canaan has not done well at for the Sixers.

13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget Morey was interviewed and said he loved Brooks and offered him the chance to go showcase his skills with Denver. Brooks said he appreciated the Rockets giving him a chance to go earn a bigger pay check. So add that to the fact we needed a wing defender that could hit the 3 point shot and it all made sense to the Rockets.

Personally I said had McHale played Brooks 10-15 minutes a night we would have had a better TEAM. Less Harden fatigue, Less Lin mistakes. We probably would have beat Portland and Brooks would have still got paid.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook, I can't remember if you ever answer my question on if Canaan was a "bad influence" on Terence Jones. It seemed like on a previous post you were inferring that.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Insurance plus a nice prospect if we find a way to keep him.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

we've heard rumblings that Isiah's attitude had much to do with it.

An inability to understand his place on the roster. Last I checked, he wasn't exactly lighting it up in Philly either.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I like his potential, but I'm also a little confused given his contract situation.

A couple points though:

1) He's likely a lottey level prospect in an average draft and actually played well for a rookie in NBA while in Philly.

Similar to right when Morey traded for Harden the bench player, I started a thread mentioning how a then (draft eligible if he stayed in college)22/23 years old Harden is equivalent to or better than #1 overall pick, given that he's been tested in NBA already.

2) I recall Bima tweeted how KJ's contract would be valuable for trading a high salary star afterwards.

18. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Canaan has looked pretty awful for Philly. McDaniels has high upside.

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

I wonder why he wasn't sent down to the D-League? Its his first year still. At least he would get loads of minutes down there. Maybe he refused as he has proven himself at Philly?

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

That was actually a favour to AB.