1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At least 54 Colombian children sexually abused by US military. Perpetrators Immune To Prosecution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HamJam, Mar 26, 2015.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

http://colombiareports.co/more-than-54-colombian-girls-sexually-abuses-by-us-military-report/

This is one of the reasons I am against U.S. imperialism. We leave a trail of abused locales and raped females (not to mention overturned democracies and death squads) wherever we go.

Mark Twain had a quote I will always love that said "Loyalty to the country always, loyalty to the government when they deserve it."

Ours does not deserve it. People who drape themselves and hide behind our flag are responsible for the most grave and wretched behavior all over the world.

If the people our government sends out from its borders in our name can't be examples of American liberty and virtue, then we need to stop sending people out until we can get our act together.

This is shameful. These are people's little girls. We rightfully decry the raping and sexual slavery done by Daesh, but people wearing our flag on their uniform are doing this all the while.

I despise our government and the two base, wretched and corrupt bureaucratic political parties that have a strangle hold of it. We as a populous need to demand more, and to do so by any means necessary.

#1 HamJam, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. HamJam

Just one example, and not only did they gang rape this child, they then threatened and harassed her family for trying to get justice:

Nor is the case unique:

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

If you read the article that you posted, you would have found that 53 of the abuses came from a single town where the reported abuses were committed by contractors. What does that have to do with "people our government sends out from its borders" if they are not even from the US? If the contractors are Colombians, and more so if they are local, then it sounds like that particular area has problems all its own.

As far the Sgt, it is unfortunate that the 12-year old cannot seek justice. However, is he immune from US military repercussions (court marshal, dishonorable discharge, etc)?

4. HamJam

I read the article. And the military contractors are, from how I read the article at least, americans we sent over there -- which is why they can not be prosecuted, since they are hiding behind bilateral agreements our government put in place to give the people we send over there immunity.

And, whether or not they are immune from US military repercussions I don't know, but they have not been charged as of yet, and it has been 8 years -- so, that shows you where our military and government stand on the issue.

And, the fact that you are taking a 'it takes cracking a few eggs to make an omelette' approach to the issue shows where you stand as well.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Read the article you posted. Nothing in that article states that the contractors involved in the Melgar abuses were not charged, nor does anything in that article state they cannot be charged with crimes due to immunity. It also does not state whether they were Colombians or Americans, or if they were hired by the American military or the Colombian military. The fact that they sold the videos of what they did in town leads me to believe they are Colombian.

As for the other two perpetrators, from the article you posted:

Ruiz is also a contractor, so he may be Colombian.

6. HamJam

Why would that make you think they are Colombian?

I am pretty sure they are American, but I'll see if I can confirm that. Either way, why would the U.S. military and government use their agreements with Columbia to get immunity for these people, and why would you be good for that.

And, yeah, the article says they may be prosecuted at a different time -- but it is 8 years later now and they haven't been. I am not alright with that.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Really guys? Regardless if the perpetrators are Americans or not doesn't matter! What matters to me is the fact that whoever raped these young girls more than likely will never be prosecuted! If there are videos circling around then there is evidence to prosecute! That amnesty treaty is a joke! It's no wonder that some people resort to being a vigilante and seek justice on their own!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The court marshal won't even convict rapists of US servicewomen. Why would they convict rapists of foreign nationals? When it comes to the justice system within the US military, something is severely broken.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I hope the responsible parties get their deserved punishment whether it be by Colombian or U.S.A. government, locals, or The Man upstairs. :eek:

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Contractors could mean anything. We have so privatized our armed forces that we literally could not fight without reams of corporations hoovering up money for food prep, base security, intelligence, logistics, IT support, etc., and even some kinds of fighting. It really is a remarkable turn for our country and shows no signs of abating. It's also stupid. Why would we cede government functions (the running of an army) to corporations who have a primary loyalty to the dollar and their own image rather than the country they pretend to serve?

11. HamJam

Reminds me of how the Romans outsourced their military to barbarians until that was the entire military, and then, when the barbarian generals decided they wanted power they all realized they actually already had the means of taking it.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It also creates more corporations lobbying for war.