1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Greatest Rappers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Justchill, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oB0NM6reiRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s0dxhSPoBjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm just kidding of course

2. brooksstephens

You can't get much more impactful than Nas. Certainly not 10 more impactful artists than Nas.

3. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Big Boi

/thread

4. Remii

Remii Member

QUOTE=brooksstephens;9642783]You can't get much more impactful than Nas. Certainly not 10 more impactful artists than Nas.[/QUOTE]

Impactful to who..??? Once the 90's got rolling rap became regional and as great of a lyricist Nas was/is he was not a game changer. 2Pac, Biggie, Cube, and Snoop fit that category. From the Houston area to the New Orleans area you would probably find more people who were listening to artists like Juvenile than you would artist like Nas and Common. As a matter of fact I only recall very few people who even owned a Common album. Lol. Plus we have/had artist like on Indaface's list.

I'm surprised you left off Fat Pat.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm going to do a slow top ten with some rappers that might be under the radar a bit.

MC Solaar

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VK5EAkdUyhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's a disturbing lack of Chuck D in this thread...

7. KingCheetah

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ThlhSnRk21E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. KingCheetah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZiQoVv0FSKQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. KingCheetah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MuysVCJ7Ito" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll just go by groups/duos and not individual rappers.

1. Public Enemy
    2. Erik B & Rakim
    3. Wu Tang Clan
    4. Dalek
    5. Cannibal Ox
    6. Cypress Hill
    7. cloudDead
    8. Eminem
    9. Dizzee Rascal
    10. Run DMC

11. KingCheetah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U6XlAgDqP6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Riff Raff
    Drake
    Tyler the Creator
    Kirko Bangzzzz
    Coolio - actually gangstas paradise was pretty cool
    Anyone from Houston....

Jk

I really only like older hip hop guys like Nas and Biggie. Modern guys no one really stands out besides Eminem.

13. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Liquid swords is one of my favorite albums

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rakim should be top 3 on every serious list, If not number 1.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k3Vn12rvPfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

when tupac was alive i don't think it was a huge debate that he was goat, he was considered to be one of the better mc's but no one compared him with krs-1, rakim, kool g rap, face, cube etc.

to me biggie is hugely overrated as he only had one album come out while he was alive, by this criteria you must consider big pun to be in the debate

17. brooksstephens

Impactful to who..??? Once the 90's got rolling rap became regional and as great of a lyricist Nas was/is he was not a game changer. 2Pac, Biggie, Cube, and Snoop fit that category. From the Houston area to the New Orleans area you would probably find more people who were listening to artists like Juvenile than you would artist like Nas and Common. As a matter of fact I only recall very few people who even owned a Common album. Lol. Plus we have/had artist like on Indaface's list.

[/QUOTE]

From Houston to New Orleans?? You're talking about a very very small and immaterial population of hip hop.

You could argue that no rapper has ever made a bigger impact with a single album than what Nas accomplished through Illmatic. You'd be VERY hard pressed to find a great rapper from the 2000's and onward that wasn't influenced by Nas in some way.

In his own words.. "I am the truest, name a rapper that I aint influenced"

Juvenile??? C'mon, maaan.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

When I did listen to hip hop I always favored Pac, Nas, Em, Outkast, Hieroglyphics, GZA, and Jedi Mind Tricks

19. JJ

JJ Member

Same with the absence of KRS-One

20. Remii

Remii Member

If you use content, and or word play, and or story telling, and or being innovative as the criteria and not just rhyming... No serious list would probably have Rakim ranked in the top 3. George Michael is a great vocalist but not many will say he's a better artist than Bob Dylan.

And how many hits did Rakim make without Eric B...??? Eric B was the star in that dynamic duo. What made the song Paid and Full great was the beat (music) and not Rakim's flow... That song would have been a hit with just about anyone rapping over that beat.