1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBC fires Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why would I be joking? I'm guessing you're familiar with the international nature of Top Gear's adventures and their viewership numbers across the globe.

It's not promoting world peace by any stretch, but people who love it love to talk about it, just like any popular show. It's not a niche show, it's an 'everyman' kind of show. I have had conversations with people in countries all over the place about Top Gear.

Anyway, I've already overstepped my limits of fanboy talk for now. Peace.

#41 napalm06, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Great show and a fan all these years, surprising for someone like me who doesn't give a sh** about cars. Incredible production values and I particularly like the specials when they really go off the beaten path.

But I also have no doubt Clarkson is a major arse and would have no interest meeting him. He's in that camp where I begrudgingly enjoy the performance despite the person.

The one thing that annoys me lately is it's getting a little too 'reality TV'. Meaning they're trying too much and too obvious to set situations up that are clearly semi-scripted.

BTW the show supposedly makes about $74 million a year, so surely a profitable IP for the BBC. Probably thanks to not only being broadcast internationally but getting a piece of the localized remakes.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

pretty hilarious to describe a show which regularly sends apologies to embassies and isn't welcome in Argentina or Mexico as "bridges borders".

I mean, I like the show but I think they do the opposite.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He seems like a bit of an ass but that's also part of his appeal on the show.

Im in the extreme minority but I actually like the US version more.

5. Buck Turgidson

By "Mel Gibson'd", you mean initially condemned, temporarily ostracized, made to apologize profusely, and then welcomed back with open arms into the multi-millionaires' club?

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't watch the show but have noticed in the last year or two British shows have suddenly started to cast a lot of Indian and Pakistani actors. It could be a push for more cultural diversity on tv set by their government.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Hasn't Mel Gibson basically been blackballed from Hollywood now? I think the only thing he's been in was that Expendables sequel that had every single popular has-been actor from the 80's. He went from A list actor/director to pretty much nothing. I think he is still ostracized.

Regarding Top Gear, only saw about 3 episodes but it was entertaining and Clarkson was good. However, you should be punished for treating people that way, no matter who you are.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn, going to miss the specials.

The Bolivia one is still one of my favorite TV episodes of all time.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

My opinion as well. I'm rolling my eyes at the ones in here with sandy vaginas getting their panties in a wad over some so frivolous. If you don't like it don't watch it, but quit with your ****ing non stop whining about a show you don't even like, good lord.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think it's funny because in every special, one of their cars usually breaks down, and the other two leave that guy behind. Even that last one where Hammond was stuck in the Yukon for 3 days while the others took their time to find him.

11. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I'm a fan of the show but even I realize it's the Pawn Star of car shows, as in semi fake. My favorite episode was when they were in the deep south running away from rednecks. Hilariously, but obviously scripted.

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What does that even mean?

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The U.K. has struggled recently with revelations that a ****load of megapopular '70s entertainers (and beyond, probably), many from the BBC, had sex with children pretty much as a matter of course, and no one who knew did a thing about it. When a doc was made exposing this, the BBC essentially tried to bury it.

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Vietnam is the best one for me... but they are all fantastic.

[​IMG]

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

I wonder if this is an April Fool's joke. If it is, it would be a really good one.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It is specifically about Jimmy Savile
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B2mweG3ogU0?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Looks like Netflix...

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

James May and Richard Hammond's contracts ended with the BBC yesterday (Clarkson's would have as well), no word on if they plan on renewing... but the longer they don't the better chance for them to head elsewhere with Clarkson. Fingers crossed.

20. davo

davo Contributing Member

I think you are looking at this the wrong way - The show is popular principally because of Clarkson, but also May and Hammond - NOT the BBC. They will make a killing wherever they go, probably a lot more than they made at the BBC. What's to stop a commercial network offering them a shedload of money? This is exactly the sort of opportunity they would be looking for - buying a show with established popularity.