1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hoopshype] Rockets to offer Sergio Llull a $17-19 million contract over three years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Mar 26, 2015.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

6 mil a year? These days, that doesn't get you much. Bev may even get more than that this offseason.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If Llull truly is coming over for the playoffs (unlikely), I think KJ McDaniels will be waived. He isn't going to get playing time and it will be even more unlikely that we'd re-sign him.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

In the first Rockets Round Table video with McHale. McHale brings up Sergio Llull out of the blue.

4. basketballholic

Llull is competing for a championship in Euroleague. Won't be coming over right now. And we ain't dropping McDaniels after investing assets into trading for him.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Lull let me know if this happens right? I don't think Lull be as mad once he's actually in uniform. Ok, I tried to make a funny.

6. basketballholic

There's no way Llull will come over without knowing what his role is and that he will be the starter or at the very least 6th man. They will have to promise him a substantial role to get him over.

7. shastarocket

I don't think Llull coming over either, but you've gotta admit that McDaniels is the least important contributor out of the guys that may get cut.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey would probably waive Johnson before he waives McDaniels if we are talking about hypotheticals.

9. shastarocket

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it understood that McDaniels will make much more than his QO this summer and will likely be out of our price range in a scenario that includes us signing Llull for all/most of the MLE.

Wouldn't that make him more likely to get waived than Johnson who is locked up in a rookie deal?

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You are correct that they have Brewers bird rights & can exceed the cap to resign him for up to 175% of his current contract. I really don't think there is much question of him returning - If Morey wants him.

Smith on the other hand , they can also resign over the cap for 120% of his current salary without regard to the cap .... but I don't think that's enough to keep him.

From what I understand they can also resign KJ for 120% of his current salary while exceeding the cap .... but is it enough.

For them to keep Smith & KJ at salaries greater that 120% of their current contracts , they'd have to tap into the MLE and I wonder if that number is enough to sign both ? I think it is in the neighborhood of $5.85m ? Going this route means no Lull or other significant FA.

If they give the full MLE to Lull that means those two take the 120% or go elsewhere ....

Basically they can keep the entire team intact and offer Lull the full MLE if both take the 120% offers and Terry , PatBev & Brewer are resigned with bird rights (RFA in the case of PatBev).
    Assuming they operate over the cap , I think its a no brainer to retain Terry if for nothing other than movable salary down the line, sign him to a one year deal with a team option and they have ~$5m to add to trade scenario's. Even the first year could have partial guarantee's to make it a more attractive asset. Otherwise they lose that $$ and have no way to replace the cap figure as a movable part.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

This would be for this season? Like, in time for the playoffs?

12. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

We used the bi-annual this year, so we cannot use it next year.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

PG: Llull / Prigioni
    SG: Harden / Johnson
    SF: Ariza / Brewer
    PF: Jones / Motie
    C: Howard / Dorsey / Capela

Next seasons guaranteed cap roster with the addition of Llull. Minus whoever we get through the draft.

Likely will loose Smith, Bev, KJ, Pap and Terry.

Meh, same team with a little less depth basically.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Smith doesn't really have to take that massive a pay cut as he's still getting paid by Detroit. Smith got his full $13.5M salary this season and he's still owed another $27M for the final two years of his Detroit contract.

Detroit used the stretch provision on Smith so they get to spread that remaining salary over 5 years (double the remaing years + 1). The amount they owe Smith gets reduced by half of his salary with his current team minus the league minimum amount for a 1 year veteran (~400K).

What that means is that Detroit will be paying Smith somewhere around $5M a season for the next 5 years. He has to wait longer to get his money but he's already going to be compensated $25M plus about half of his new team's salary for the next two seasons.

The bigger contract he signs the more he makes (and also reduces what Detroit owes him) but even if he signs for the veteran minimum, he'll still be well compensated.

Assuming that no team is going to give Smith a contract for over $10M/season then he's really not leaving that much money on the table. Let's say that some team will pay him $8M/season. Houston would be able to exceed the cap and offer him 120% of current salary so that means we could offer $2.49M . So lets assume Houston offers a 2 year deal at that amount.

The amount Smith would leave on the table to stay in Houston is

($8M - 2.5M)/2 = $2.75M (the rest of the salary is offset by the reduction in what Detroit owes him).

So, over the next two season in Houston Smith would be owed $2.5M x 2 = $5.0M from Houston to go along with the $25M that he'd be owed by Detroit. That would make his total compensation just over $30M.

If he took an $8M deal then his two year compensation would be around $35.5M.

The difference in an $8M deal and the $2.49M deal that Houston can offer comes out to a difference of about $5.5M over two years. When you're talking about a two year salary of over $30M, that isn't a huge amount if he's truly happy here and wants to stay.

4 people like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We don't have it for the next season.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Think he waives Prigs or Dorsey before either of those guys.

17. saleem

Morey is throwing everything out there as a contingency plan and to cover all bases after the unpleasant experience with Chandler Parsons.

Moving Asik and Lin became necessary, since they weren't fitting in with us, and also for taking a shot at Bosh. Melo, but we did miss some depth in their absence at times.

18. saleem

Yes, I believe you are correct.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Prigs and Dorsey are more valuable then Johnson or KJ at this point.

We need a backup point and C, unless morey finds replacements they aren't going anywhere.

Morey traded Shved, and 2 seconds for Prigs. That's a really hefty price for someone he'd plan on cutting after half a season. Plus prigs contract is guaranteed, I think he stays. As well as Dorsey too.

I also think Johnson stays he's on a dirt cheap contract and is in a position of need with Terry expiring and possibly retiring. KJ might demand 2 mill or something which means he be gone.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I guess no Brewer or Smith this offseason? Is it possible to resign both and get Llull?

Resigning KJ McDaniels becomes very important if we lose out on Brewer. And I would really like Smith back.